Between the ages of 14 and 17 Castagna improved that speed in running sessions with sprint coach Craig Mair, having previously built his stamina when he joined his dad for runs up the steep hills near the family home in Kangaroo Ground.
We would be closer to walking up it really, just lifting your legs up and getting there, Castagna said.
With Mair he increased his pace enough to run in a junior sprint at Stawell over Easter.
It was good fun ... he [Mair] was very helpful just for my footy in general, Castagna said.
I got to him at an age where you can change your speed, you can fix up your technique and gain cadence and from there I made my speed a strength of mine.
The strength he developed during that period is part of the reason Castagna will run on to the MCG this Easter - nine years after running at Stawell - to play his 100th game, the rookie selection now a three-time premiership player.
The way he plays symbolises, to some extent, the chaotic, manic style that has helped Richmond dominate the competition for four seasons now.
Jason Castagna in full flight.Credit:The Age
But along the way he has become a better player too, more respected across the competition for the damage he can do in offence and defence. And there is also a recognition that the way he plays has also helped create the unstoppable mess.
Last Sunday against Hawthorn he kicked a set snap shot on his non-preferred foot, replicating the deeds of another triple premiership player Luke Breust, a player renowned for his silky skills.
Now, when Castagna bursts out the front of the stoppage in the expectation of the ball heading his way he disrupts the opposition, suddenly making the game all arms and legs and bouncing footballs.
This suits the Tigers, who love it when their matches become akin to a pinball machine in multiball mode.
I do have a bit of a chaotic game style, Castagna said.
He [Damien Hardwick] sometimes doesnt know what is going to happen but he encourages me to keep doing what I do.
I crash in and cause a bit of chaos on offence and defence I guess. Dimma (Richmond coach Damien Hardwick) always makes a gag about when I get the ball he sometimes doesnt know what is going to happen but he encourages me to keep doing what I do.
He supports me to play to my strengths and it has held me in pretty good stead.
I mess up a kick here and there but if I stay in the contest I usually can make something out of it.
That he does, pressuring the opposition and chiming in for goals when required, having averaged two scores a match in his past 94 games, his inaccuracy in the 2019 grand final, when he kicked five behinds, ruling him out of Norm Smith contention.
All that has made Castagna a popular figure inside and outside the fence at Tigerland, one person who finds that being hungry and humble comes naturally.
Jason Castagna celebrates a grand final goal with Tiger teammates.Credit:Getty Images
I definitely have points where I pinch myself. It is pretty crazy to have had this much success so early but I am just so happy to be here and I am having so much fun, Castagna said.
You never know how long it can last so I am just enjoying it while it is here and make the most out of it while I can.
He laughs at the idea he might join his siblings working at Castagna Steelworks, the family business his grandfather Vic started when he emigrated to Australia in the 1960s, one of the businesss first contracts being to provide the steel that held the old seats in the MCG outer in their place.
Kamdyn McIntosh and Jason Castagna after the Tigers 2020 grand final triumph.Credit:Getty Images
His dad, mum and three brothers Nick, Aaron and Jarrod all work there while his sister Hannah is still at school.
His teammate Kamdyn McIntosh learned to weld at the steelworks and occasionally Castagna will drop in to the family business to find teammates just hanging out there pottering around on something.
Castagna likes to do that too, having his house renovated and using McIntoshs skills that make him more than just a handy footballer to build his shed.
Its pretty much his shed in my backyard, Castagna said.
Its the type of connection these Tigers have soldered since 2017, with Castagna admitting a few teammates couldnt resist using his well-travelled tattoo gun at the Tigers hub on the Gold Coast to get a permanent reminder of their year.
Ive done a few. If you look closely you might spot a few of the boys [with them], Castagna said.
David Astbury, Nick Vlastuin and Jack Ross are among his customers.
What can never be erased is the role Castagna has played in helping Richmond to three flags, one of 14 Tigers to play in the three, and the first rookie in AFL history to play in three inside 100 games, his shy, steely expression now as much a Castagna feature as his road-runner gait.
Hes hit 100 games. Hes got a few premierships. His legs tell a story. And hes a Richmond man. But when it comes to the family Christmas hes creating the same quiet mischief he always has.
Nothing much has changed for me outside of footy, Castagna said.
Peter Ryan is a sports reporter with The Age covering AFL, horse racing and other sports.
See original here:
- Farmer Boys celebrating 40th anniversary with free burger tattoo - KTNV Las Vegas - April 19th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - Times Herald-Record - April 19th, 2021
- Crowdfunding Hate in the Name of Christ - The Nation - April 4th, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 4th, 2021
- Part 3: How a Trini played a role in the life of Nipsey Hussle - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - April 4th, 2021
- We want to keep him alive Family, friends remember San Antonios Tito Bradshaw two years later - San Antonio Express-News - April 4th, 2021
- Love Island Australias Phoebe Thompson reveals WAP lip tattoo as she celebrates birthday - The Irish Sun - March 8th, 2021
- Brave, Powerful, Complicated: The Most Formidable Heroines In Film - British Vogue - March 8th, 2021
- Jaden Hill is LSU's ace pitcher who has a bigger calling in life: 'I'm chosen to help people' - The Advocate - February 19th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 14th, 2021
- Memories of dad help make University of Houston's Justin Gorham a rebounding machine - Houston Chronicle - February 11th, 2021
- Tauranga's strongest head to the Highlands - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 6th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Got His Paris Hilton Tattoo Just 3 Week Before They Broke up - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 30th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - January 30th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- Trump's useful thugs: how the Republican party offered a home to the Proud Boys - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 20th, 2021
- Who are Proud Boys? The Western chauvinist far-right group explained and what Donald Trump has previously said about them - The Scotsman - January 15th, 2021
- Theyve been hidden too long: Report details Los Angeles Sheriffs deputy gangs and violence toward communities of color - East Bay Times - January 15th, 2021
- Hawaii Proud Boy Charged By DOJ After Raiding US Capitol - Honolulu Civil Beat - January 9th, 2021
- Swimming With My Shirt Off - The New York Times - January 9th, 2021
- How the Internet Reflected on and Coped With the Capitol Attack - Hyperallergic - January 9th, 2021
- The Weekly-ish Mailbag is mailing it in this week. - Off Tackle Empire - December 31st, 2020
- Four months before her wedding, Mary knew it was over - Sydney Morning Herald - December 19th, 2020
- Family, determination and a dream: The Real Woods story - The Stanford Daily - December 16th, 2020
- Skating solo gives me time to study everyone else on the rink - The Globe and Mail - December 16th, 2020
- LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS: Price is Right Live show rescheduled - Goshen News - December 16th, 2020
- Controversial Mom Made One Of Her Twin Toddlers Get A Tattoo For Very Important Reason - BabyGaga - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins tattoos one so she can tell them apart leaving mother-in-law fuming - Daily Star - December 11th, 2020
- Farmingtons mayor of 12 years memorializes his experience in tattoo - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - December 8th, 2020
- Im A Celebrity superfan gets tattoo of Ant and Dec at Gwrych Castle inked onto his thigh - The Sun - December 1st, 2020
- MacAdam: Fascination with Mike Tyson began in Albany - The Daily Gazette - November 27th, 2020
- 'Home town boys' return to Philippi Main Street - The Inter-Mountain - November 20th, 2020
- The Post-Election Proud Boys Meltdown Is Here, and It's Ugly - The Daily Beast - November 12th, 2020
- I just want to be with my friends: how will children cope with being cooped up again in second lockdown? - The Guardian - November 9th, 2020
- 240+ Inspirational & Meaningful One Word Tattoos (2020 ... - November 6th, 2020
- 75+ Best Small Tattoos For Men (2020) - Simple Cool ... - November 6th, 2020
- Tickets for sale in Snohomish County and around the region - The Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 30th, 2020
- Students rediscover their childhood fandoms on TikTok - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2020
- Chase Winovich talks playing time, conspiracy theories with Zolak & Bertrand - 98.5 The Sports Hub - October 22nd, 2020
- The Cycle of Punitive Justice Starts in Schools. Eric Butler Is Showing Kids and Teachers How to Break It. - Mother Jones - October 21st, 2020
- The Proud Boys? - SOFREP - October 16th, 2020
- Theatre Alliance to perform outdoor production of Devil Boys from Beyond - Yes! Weekly - October 16th, 2020
- Freshers' Flu - Why My Mum Invented COVID - Cherwell Online - October 10th, 2020
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand By'? - Snopes.com - October 8th, 2020
- Dan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa & the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spoo - The Sun - October 7th, 2020
- When the Proud Boys came to town - The Economist - October 7th, 2020
- The ten essential facts you need to know about BTS's Suga - Film Daily - October 6th, 2020
- 30 Best Neck Tattoos for Boys and Girls - The Best Tattoo ... - September 30th, 2020
- Best 100+ Tattoo Designs For Men and Boys - Youme And Trends - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys, the extremist group Trump named in the debate - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Fred Perry Will Denounce Proud Boys, But The President Won't - Highsnobiety - September 30th, 2020
- Hooligans With Heart: Phoenix Risings Red Fury fan club reaches out to refugees - Cronkite News - September 30th, 2020
- Whats New on Netflix UK & Top 10s: September 30th, 2020 - What's on Netflix - September 30th, 2020
- From the Fields: Soaking it up now | agrinews-pubs.com - Agri News - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys and why did Trump tell them to stand by? - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- The Giant Proud Boy Rally That Wasn't - VICE - September 28th, 2020
- Dallas Cowboys news: Defense is looking for improvements - Blogging The Boys - September 26th, 2020
- For Australia's military veterans, tattoos are an important reminder of the things they've seen - The Canberra Times - September 26th, 2020
- What is the alt-right group the Proud Boys? - The Sun - September 21st, 2020
- Police investigating after man tried to grab young boy from street - The Northern Echo - September 18th, 2020
- Cowboys news: Reviewing the rookies after the Cowboys season-opener - Blogging The Boys - September 18th, 2020
- Nas makes his latest claim to the throne with King's Disease - NYSMusic - September 18th, 2020
- The Boys Season 2 Episode 4: 20 Easter Eggs And Things You Might Have Missed - GameSpot - September 15th, 2020
- The Boys Season 2 Episode 4: 20 Things You Might Have Missed - GameSpot - September 11th, 2020
- Remembrance of Things Past: A favorite series features a book with a local tie - theday.com - September 11th, 2020
- RCB spinner Adam Zampa speaks of his love for whisky, need to carry microwave on tours - Times Now - September 8th, 2020
- Youth of color disproportionately represented in the justice system - Prescott eNews - September 7th, 2020
- Two "Boogaloo Boys" Allegedly Tried To Supply Weapons To Hamas And Join As Mercenaries - BuzzFeed News - September 6th, 2020
- Sophie Kasaei shows off full sleeve and chest piece in 'tattoo' snap - Heat - September 3rd, 2020
- Failed by the System - Eugene Weekly - September 3rd, 2020
- 'They're going to have to shoot me': A cop's son meets a tragic fate in Morris Township - Morristown Green - September 3rd, 2020
- Youth of color disproportionately represented in the justice system - Cronkite News - September 3rd, 2020
- 2 Boys Arrested In Suspected Attempted Carjacking, Armed Robbery - Patch.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ask Billboard: Katy Perry's Career Bests, From 'One of the Boys' to 'Smile,' & Every Hot 100 'Idol' Top 10 - Billboard - August 29th, 2020
- This says Jimin's tattoo, it has a very deep meaning - Somag News - August 27th, 2020
- 10 Katy Perry Tattoos and the Meaning of Each - Music Times - August 27th, 2020
- Home and Away Review: Annabelle Stephens joins the cast as Angelos wife - The West Australian - August 26th, 2020