To sign up for our daily newsletter filled with the latest news, goss and other stuff you should care about, head HERE. For a running feed of all our stories, follow us on Twitter HERE. Or, bookmark the PEDESTRIAN.TV homepage to visit whenever you need a news fix.
CONTENT WARNING: This article discusses sexual misconduct.
Simon Strelein, the tattoo artist who shot to notoriety this week after a TikTok of him upskirting an 18-year-old girl went viral, kept working until this week, even though he was convicted of taking an intimate photo of someone without consent well over a year earlier.
The whole thing started back in October 2019 when El, whos now 20, decided to get her very first tatt on her very first night out in Newtown. Shes asked us to withhold her surname for safety reasons.
We were at the desk looking at looking through the books, deciding on the fonts and everything, she told PEDESTRIAN.TV on Monday night after the video went viral.
I was about to get the tattoo, then this older lady comes up to me, and shes like, Dont get the tattoo from here, that guy with the beard was bending and down taking photos up your skirt.
When I was talking to the guy preparing what I was going to get for my tattoo, [another staff member] was sort of egging the guy on to take the photo.
El said because it was her first ever tat, she and her mate were bubbly and excited. However, she felt like staff were taking the piss out of her, later adding that Strelein referred to them as two basic girls wanting a tattoo.
Things were quickly taken outside, where El asked Strelein to delete the photos. He replied by laughing and saying that she and her mate were embarrassing themselves by causing such a fuss.
Eventually, El flagged down a police car that was passing by. After taking statements and her phone for evidence, police charged Strelein with intentionally recording an intimate image without consent.
A few months later, Strelein whose legal name is Simon Peberdy was sentenced to 200 hours of community service and 18 months supervision by a community corrections officer.
However, he still kept his job at one of Sydneys most high profile tattoo studios. King St Tattoo confirmed to P.TV that three other staff members were working that night, however no manager was working when the incident happened around midnight.
The rest of our staff that work during the day were not involved or aware of the incident, a spokesperson for the studio said.
Then, in mid-2020, Strelein managed to appeal the severity of his sentence at the Downing Centre District Court in Sydney. His sentence ended up being minimised to just a one-year conditional release order.
Ive only just posted the video now because I realised that he was still employed there, El told P.TV.
So obviously, I dont want other girls to be and served by him, with him touching their bodies.
Els plan worked. A day after she posted the TikTok, Streleins employment at King St Tattoo was terminated.
The video clocked over 123,000 views and over 20,000 likes on TikTok before it was taken down on bullying and harassment grounds.
However the news quickly spread to Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. On all four platforms, people sent messages of support and solidarity, as well as sharing their own experiences of predatory behaviour.
Whats changed between that night in 2019 and now, El said, was the nationwide reckoning of women calling out their abusers and other predatory men.
I feel like its becoming more normalised to call men out on this shit, she said.
But El did concede: Its also very normalised to not call them out, a lot of people I know would just simply say, You know, thats life.
These same people victim-blamed her, saying that if she didnt want to be photographed without consenting, she shouldnt have worn such a short skirt.
But why should I have to wear ugly clothes? Why should I have to look not hot just because men cant control themselves? El told P.TV.
El made clear her beef was never with the tattoo parlour itself, or any of the other artists. She just wanted justice after Strelein upskirted her and laughed in her face.
We sincerely apologise for the stress this has caused El, King St Tattoo said in a statement to P.TV.
We would like El to know that if there is anything we can do to support her and rectify the situation to please get in touch with us.
A day after Strelein was fired, the tattoo studio also released a statement on Instagram in response to the widespread outrage.
We acknowledge and respect the concerns that have been expressed regarding Simon Streleins behavior, and are able to announce that he is no longer employed at King St Tattoo, the shop said on Instagram.
We do not condone his actions in any way, and we apologise for the distress this has caused.
In regards to the delayed response on our end, we were not fully aware of the actions made on the night in question. This has all come to light over the last 24 hours and we would like to apologise for not taking actions sooner.
We sincerely appreciate the feedback we have been given and ask that respect be given to the other artists who were not aware of the situation.
Strelein himself did not respond to requests for comment in time for publication.
His page on the studios website which has since been taken down described him as being known for his sick sense of humour, which El said ended up being a bit foreshadowing.
Ultimately, El said finally going public with her story has massively helped her cope with what happened in 2019.
I was very embarrassed. I just felt so violated, she said about the night she was upskirted.
Sharing the TikTok finally changed this: It made me feel very validated.
Help is available.
If you require immediate assistance, please call 000.
If youd like to speak to someone about sexual violence, please call the 1800 Respect hotline on 1800 737 732 or chat online.
Under 25? You can reach Kids Helpline at 1800 55 1800 or chat online.
Read the original:
- Blueface Responds to Video of Women Getting Tattoos, in Bunk Beds - XXL - XXLMAG.COM - May 4th, 2021
- Grandpa wants to bribe girls not to get a tattoo - The Boston Globe - May 4th, 2021
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- A Clover in weeds, loss, homelessness, beatings and love - Tucson Weekly - November 5th, 2020
- The Real Housewives of New York City's First-Ever Black Housewife Isn't Holding Back - The Daily Beast - November 3rd, 2020
- Every time Bollywood actresses proved that they are protective mothers - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Broadley, BF girls three-peat on Thetford trail - Brattleboro Reformer - November 1st, 2020
- Jack Nowell: Would I get a tattoo of Eddie Jones? Only if he promises to pick me for every England game - iNews - October 31st, 2020
- Ronald Hall, Worcester man accused of human trafficking, kept women addicted to drugs and had his nickname ta - MassLive.com - October 30th, 2020
- Learner Dad: 'I need to get the kids to write an early Santa letter so they cant change their minds' - Irish Examiner - October 27th, 2020
- 133 Inspiring Cute and Small Tattoos Ideas for Girls - October 22nd, 2020
- 30 Beautiful Tattoos for Girls 2020 - Meaningful Tattoo ... - October 22nd, 2020
- Jill Duggar's Tattoo Opinions Have Changed, but Does She Have One? - Distractify - October 22nd, 2020
- Sophie Turner wears vote hoodie on stroll with Joe Jonas and baby girl - Metro.co.uk - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Irish Sun - October 22nd, 2020
- Jacqueline Jossa reveals her incredible singing voice in the car after admitting she wants to sing on stage - The Sun - October 21st, 2020
- Vanessa Bryant reveals new tattoo dedicated to Kobe and their 4 girls (photo) - Rolling Out - October 16th, 2020
- Pomp it Up: On the wild side with Motley Crue - Pueblo Chieftain - October 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus is killing haunted houses, but we still have real horror stories to scare you - Detroit Free Press - October 16th, 2020
- Glimpse inside Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Tattoos and the True Meaning behind Them - AmoMama - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson Almost Got an Even Crazier Tattoo on His Face Thankfully He Didn't - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson's Tribal Face Tattoo Got a Wild Reaction From a Woman in the Tribe - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 14th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR - October 10th, 2020
- 10 Gilmore Girl Tattoo Ideas That Would Earn Lorelai and Rory's Stamp of Approval - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - October 9th, 2020
- Cancer survivor views tattoos as another recovery technique - Leader Publications - October 7th, 2020
- Revisiting Hellboy, the mixtape that captured Lil Peep's breakout energy - Dazed - October 7th, 2020