Support the independent voice of Denver and help keep the future of Westword free.
Art springs forth in a big way this weekend, whether or not the weather complies: In Loveland, Asian-American artists celebrate Asian contributions made in that neck of the woods; Peter Yumi unveils more invented history at Pirate; tattoo art goes on display at Dateline along with a world-class mural; assemblage artist Bill Nelson gets atmospheric at Urban Mud; and, biggest of all, LandMark, an ambitious outdoor exhibition, spreads out through various public parks in Arvada and Lakewood for the summer and beyond. And theres more! Read all about it below.
Mami Yamamoto, I Miss Spring Fling, monoprint.
Colorado AsiansArtworks Center for Contemporary Art, 310 North Railroad Avenue, LovelandThrough June 29The Loveland studio complex and gallery Artworks opened Colorado Asians last week in anticipation of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month 2021 in May. The group exhibition doesnt just showcase Colorado artists of Asian descent, but also puts historical Asian-American contributions made in northeastern Colorado into a positive context. The show was curated by Jane Burke, the Denver Art Museum senior curatorial assistant for the department of textile art and fashion, and an expert on Asian art history.
Charlie Walter, Shes Gotta Habit, acrylic and mixed media on wooden board.
Phyllis Rider and Charlie Walter, Cross Currents Sync Gallery, 931 Santa Fe DriveThrough May 15Abstract painters Phyllis Rider and Charlie Walter share the walls at Sync for the duo show Cross Currents, both converging and diverging in their personal use of paint and mixed media, if not style. Riders works display more forceful mark-making, while Walters is dreamy and diffuse. Sync is still not hosting evening receptions because of the pandemic; the doors are open from 1 to 4 p.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays, and noon to 4 p.m. Saturdays or by appointment.
Peter Yumis portrait of L.A. skater Libby Williams.
Charles Livingston, Next to ArtPeter Yumi, RollertopiaSheridan Furrer in the Treasure ChestPirate: Contemporary Art, 7130 West 16th Avenue, LakewoodApril 16 through May 2Good stuff tends to happen when Charles Livingston and Peter Yumi pair up at Pirate. This time around, Livingston unleashes a fourteen-year photo project exploring the question What is Art?, while Yumis Rollertopia unfolds another of his alternative histories, this one centered around a roller-skating civilization discovered by astro-anthropologist Dr. Peter S. Yumi. Says the artist: Dr. Yumi has curated an art collection never before seen in our solar system! You dont want to miss that. Pirate is open Fridays from 6 to 9 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from noon to 5 p.m.
Dateline's got tattoo art and a new RiNo mural going up in the alley.
The Art of Ink: An Art Show Celebrating RiNos Finest Tattoo ArtistsApril 1 through April 30Opening Reception: Friday, April 16, 6 to 11 p.m.Dateline is the perfect venue for The Art of Ink: An Art Show Celebrating RiNos Finest Tattoo Artists, a collaboration with the RiNo Mural Program that anticipates a mural to be painted in the alley behind the gallery by master tattooer and mural artist Dave Tevenal over the weekend. RiNo: an art district where the buildings wear ink, too.
Urban Mud hosts a show of Bill Nelson's strange assemblage art.
Bill Nelson, Mori Urban Mud, 530 Santa Fe DriveApril 19 through June 6Opening Reception: Friday, April 16, 6 to 9 p.m. Bill Nelson arranges strange antique finds into even stranger vignettes and assemblages that contemplate mortality and the stories left behind. They are heavy with memories and dark anachronisms. Youll want to spend some time with these, as well as additional ceramic works by Urban Mud members.
Fred Becker, Facing in All Directions.
A Thousand WordsCore New Art Space, Art Hub, 6851 West Colfax Avenue,LakewoodApril 16 through May 2Opening Reception: Friday, April 16, 6 to 9 p.m.Core gives up its walls to A Thousand Words, an open-call show of works that tell literary tales, juried by artist Richard Chamberlain.
A detail from Kay Galvan's installation "Maya."
Liminal Space: Kay Galvan, Maya, and Janine Thornton, TotemsEdge Gallery, Art Hub, 6851 West Colfax AvenueLakewoodApril 16 through May 2Edge members Kay Galvan and Janine Thornton share duties in a show following the subtle undercurrents that flow through everyday life. Galvan does so with a mixed-media installation of indigo-dyed cloth draped over a painted panel, while Thornton contributes her own take on fiber-enhanced sculptural forms. Art for thought.Visit Edge on Fridays from 6 to 9 p.m., and Saturdays and Sundays from noon to 3 p.m.
MSU Denver Spring 2021 Student ExhibitionCenter for Visual Art, 965 Santa Fe DriveApril 16 through May 7Artist Panel: Thursday, April 29, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.The CVA takes a break from big, blockbuster curated shows to make room for a year-end display of work by Metropolitan State University of Denver art students. See how ambitious young artists are building skills for the future in a broad palette of media and styles. A handful of those students will talk about where theyre going during a virtual panel discussion on April 29.
W. Max Thomason, Life Under Giants.
W. Max Thomason
W. Max Thomason, GeistBitfactory Gallery, 851 Santa Fe DriveApril 16 through May 12Opening Reception: Friday, April 16, 6 to 9 p.m.W. Max Thomason, whos been running the gallery at Bitfactory since 2015, celebrates six years in the gallery with Geist, a solo show of his own. Thomason will unveil a new series of cityscapes splashed by a rainy blur, while looking forward to many more years helming Bitfactorys exhibition space.
Dan Drossman, "I Have Given a Name."
Caught in ReverieThe Waiting Room Gallery, 3258 Larimer StreetApril 17 through June 20Opening Receptions: Saturday, April 17, 6 to 10 p.m., and Sunday, April 18, noon to 5 p.m. W. Max Thomason also figures into the foursome showing in Caught in Reverie, along with artist and Waiting Room curator Dan Drossman, New York artist Adam Krueger and New Mexico artist Mick Burson. The Waiting Room itself is spread out on the upper floors of the Oxpecker Building in RiNo; after the opening, see the show through June 20 by appointment only (contact Dan Drossman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 917-703-2563).
Yoshitomo Saito with his bamboo sculpture for the outdoor exhibition LandMark.
LandMarkPublic Parks in Arvada and LakewoodApril 18 through October 18 in Lakewood; through April 22, 2024, in Arvada COVID restrictions have at least one silver lining: an abundance of outdoor exhibitions, which offer a fresh take on the pastime of viewing art, as well as the nature of the art on display. LandMark, a temporary display curated by artists Anna Kaye and Kalliopi Monoyios, spreads out with sculptures and installations through a series of public parks in Arvada and Lakewood.
The Lakewood spread debuts on April 18, while Arvadas launches on Earth Day, April 22; follow maps and audio tours posted on the LandMark website to find your way around, learning all the way. Youll also find a listing of related events, including a Zoom artist talk on June 3, a Rock Painting Community Event on World Environment Day, June 5; and summer unveilings of additional works on June 15 and 20.
Interested in having your event appear in this calendar? Send the details to email@example.com.
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.
Susan Froyd started writing for Westword as the "Thrills" editor in 1992 and never quite left the fold. These days she still freelances for the paper in addition to walking her dogs, enjoying cheap ethnic food and reading voraciously. Sometimes she writes poetry.
Read the original post:
- Brazilian Tattoo Artist Transforms Physical Appearance To Be An Orc - mit inc - July 22nd, 2021
- I quit my corporate job to become a tattoo artist at 29 years old. Here are 7 things that surprised me most. - Insider - July 22nd, 2021
- Saturday is National Tattoo Day heres where you can get some fresh ink - Very Local New Orleans - July 22nd, 2021
- Tattoo artists from around the world gather for Chicago's largest tattoo convention - Columbia Chronicle - July 22nd, 2021
- Thinking of a tattoo? Here are the most and least painful spots to get inked - Insider - July 22nd, 2021
- 3 Non-Negotiable Tattoo Rules According to Lauren Winzer, Celebrity Ink Artist - Lifehacker Australia - July 22nd, 2021
- Celebrities with Matching Tattoos: See the Couples, Costars and Friends Who've Gotten Matching Ink - PEOPLE - July 22nd, 2021
- Shannon Hemmett of ACTORS and LEATHERS Shares Her Best Work as a Tattoo Artist - Exclaim! - July 22nd, 2021
- Hairline Tattooing and What You Need to Know - menshealth.com - July 22nd, 2021
- The Boston Art Podcast sets out to document underrepresented local creators - The Boston Globe - July 22nd, 2021
- 4-Ever West Tattoo Festival returns, bigger than ever - Wyoming Tribune - July 22nd, 2021
- Body modification fanatic cuts off finger in extreme transformation - New York Post - July 8th, 2021
- Meet the Italian tattoo artist who turned his London backyard into a thriving urban garden - Euronews - July 8th, 2021
- The tattoo artist has made changes in protest and wants to slash his hand - Mediarun Search - July 8th, 2021
- NANG: The World's First Grime Colouring Book Is Here - Complex - July 8th, 2021
- What You Need to Know Before Getting Your First Tattoo, From Celeb Tattoo Artist Lauren Winzer - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - July 8th, 2021
- From tattoos to tokens at Tokyo's first crypto art show - The Japan Times - July 8th, 2021
- Purdue adjusting to new realities of the NIL Era - Rivals.com - Rivals.com - Purdue - July 8th, 2021
- Gran, 83 gets tattoo after Jgerbomb session with ink artist grandson - North Wales Live - July 8th, 2021
- The Tattoo Industry Is Changing and Queer-Owned Spaces Are Leading the Charge - POPSUGAR - June 26th, 2021
- Newfane tattoo artist gives back to the community by giving ink - WIVB.com - News 4 - June 26th, 2021
- 8 Best Lotions for a New Tattoo - Creams and Products for Tattoo Healing and Aftercare - GoodHousekeeping.com - June 26th, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian poses in just a bra & shows off her diamond-encrusted teeth in new photos... - The US Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Rihanna Covers Up Her Matching Shark Tattoo With Drake and Fans Think Its Because of ASAP Rocky - Us Weekly - June 26th, 2021
- Delightful Granddaughter: Grandmaw isn't going to like this - The Star Beacon - June 26th, 2021
- The Internet Came Up With New Reality Show Ideas That Actually Sound Interesting - ScoopWhoop - June 26th, 2021
- Canelo Alvarez: the meaning of the tattoo of the Mexican boxer | What does Canelo's tattoo say | Mexico | MX nnda-nnlt | Mexico - East Africa News... - June 26th, 2021
- 'MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY': SOPHISTICATED AND INTRIGUING - The Republic - June 26th, 2021
- Scar Cover-Up Tattoos Help Women Regain Confidence in Their Bodies - My Modern Met - June 9th, 2021
- How a New Generation of Queer Artists and Patrons Are Redefining Tattoo Culture on Their Own Terms - Vogue - June 9th, 2021
- Tattoo artist goes viral on TikTok with the story of a woman's perfect revenge on her cheating boyfriend - TAG24 NEWS - June 9th, 2021
- A fan pays tribute to Nikola Jokic by getting a tattoo of his patent move the 'Sombor Shuffle' - Basketball Network - June 9th, 2021
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson, 30, and wife Sam, 54, show off matching tattoos - Page Six - June 9th, 2021
- 'Alice the rat was so special': readers on their brilliant, beloved pet tattoos - The Guardian - June 9th, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know Before Getting a Face Tattoo - AskMen - June 9th, 2021
- Help Wanted: An airbrush artist to save the summer - theday.com - June 9th, 2021
- Dining and Dreaming at the Blind Salamander RV Park - Bon Appetit - June 9th, 2021
- Getting an unwanted tattoo removed: what you need to know - Euro Weekly News - June 9th, 2021
- The Stoner Comedy That Honors a 9/11 Firefighter - Rare.us - June 9th, 2021
- Champions of Pride 2021: The West Coast - Advocate.com - Advocate.com - June 9th, 2021
- Tattooed bride and groom flaunt ink as they pose with pal on leash for wedding day - Daily Star - June 9th, 2021
- Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times - May 28th, 2021
- What you need to know to become a tattoo artist - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - May 28th, 2021
- Woman spends $45k to cover body in one tattoo - NEWS.com.au - May 28th, 2021
- Can Tattoos Cause Cancer? The Health Risks of Inking - Healthline - May 28th, 2021
- Yang Zhen Lee's trauma-informed tattooing prioritizes boundaries and trust - PGH City Paper - May 28th, 2021
- The Skin I'm In - INKED - May 28th, 2021
- Dalton, Ga.'s Jones to host show on tattoos that debuts Friday on Fox Nation - Moultrie Observer - May 28th, 2021
- American Exchange Group signs on as Licensee for Ed Hardy in Watches, Jewelry, Handbag, and Accessories Categories - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Everything You Need To Know About Made-To-Fade Semi-Permanent Tattoos - GLAMOUR UK - May 28th, 2021
- 30 Sureal 3D Tattoos Ideas to Try (2021) - The Trend Spotter - May 28th, 2021
- The tattooing culture of the Americas - Times of Malta - May 28th, 2021
- Teen Mom Briana DeJesus reveals shes moving out of $269k family home to live with fiance Javi and her tw... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- Im a mum-of-three with my body & face COVERED in tattoos Ive even inked my lips... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- The 8 Most Tatted Up Rockers - Popdust - May 28th, 2021
- Amber Luke, Whose Body Is 98% Tattooed, Covers Them With Makeup - BroBible - May 28th, 2021
- How tattoos have evolved in different cultures throughout history - Euro Weekly News - May 28th, 2021
- Jada Pinkett Smith Agrees to Get Matching Tattoos With Willow and Gammy on 'Red Table Talk' (Exclusive) - KVUE.com - May 28th, 2021
- 19 Actors Who Actually Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie And TV Roles - BuzzFeed - May 16th, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian Tattoos I Love You on Boyfriend Travis Barkers Arm and Fans Are Freaking Out - Us Weekly - May 16th, 2021
- The Inked Huntress Tattoo Studio is making its mark in Fargo - INFORUM - May 16th, 2021
- Perfectly Drawn Tattoos Look Like Stickers Placed on the Skin - My Modern Met - May 16th, 2021
- 20 Celebrities Who Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie/TV Roles - FandomWire - May 16th, 2021
- Keith Urban Was At Mall Food Court When Taylor Swift Texted About Collab | The Bobby Bones Show | The Bobby Bones Show - iHeartRadio - May 16th, 2021
- The Story Behind One of the Oldest Art Glass Studios in the US - Hyperallergic - May 16th, 2021
- Mark Tuan on Experimenting With His Solo Aesthetic and Skin Care | Interview - Allure - May 16th, 2021
- Take folk art wherever you go with Redemption Tattoo or display a Santa for every season with the help of Vaillancourt Folk Art - WCVB Boston - May 16th, 2021
- Why is this Fayetteville tattoo artist getting so much attention on TikTok? - The Fayetteville Observer - May 4th, 2021
- Scar tissue: Vietnamese women find healing with tattoos - The Japan Times - May 4th, 2021
- Gypsy Carver Brings Ideas to Life - Thelaker - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 4th, 2021
- Danny Trejo Reveals the Artist Behind His Iconic Chest Tattoo Actually Hated It (Exclusive) - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 4th, 2021
- Senior brings passion for art and tattoos to the campus community - The Hawk - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo artist finds Robin Hoods Silver Arrow while magnet fishing in Sherwood Forest... - The Sun - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo Peeling: What's Normal and How to Care for It in 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 4th, 2021
- LeBron James gets tattoo of 'the big 3' with Lakers return near - New York Post - May 4th, 2021
- 6 Fresh Nail Art Ideas From Around the World - Allure - May 4th, 2021
- Mothers Day Gift ideas with Jeremiah David Stroup - KOIN.com - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Shows Off Results Of Second Ever Tattoo After Getting Inked On Instagram - HuffPost UK - May 4th, 2021
- This First-of-Its-Kind Temporary Tattoo Ink is Made to Fade - Freethink - April 19th, 2021