The first-ever made-to-fade tattoo ink is revolutionizing the tattoo industry.
Ephemeral is a new tattoo shop in Williamsburg, a neighborhood in Brooklyn just the type of place that doesn't need another tattoo parlor. The vibe is young and trendy. Street art and outdoor concerts bombard your senses as you stroll between the chic cafes and boutiques. In Williamsburg, tattoos are old hat. But Ephemeral brings a new spin to getting inked.
In March, Ephemeral launched the first-ever made-to-fade tattoo ink, allowing people to get tattoos without committing to them for the rest of their lives.
But Ephemeral's tats aren't stick-on designs, like so-called temporary tattoos. The tattoo artists use actual needles to inject tattoo ink into their clients' skin just as painfully as a real tattoo. The only difference is, instead of making a lifelong commitment, they use fading tattoo ink, so the designs last between just nine and 15 months.
"Growing up, I was somewhat rebellious. These traditions and values felt like rules and restrictions (...) And one of the things that I couldn't do was to get a permanent tattoo."
"While there is a time and place for permanence ... there are millions of people who, like (us), wouldn't engage (with tattooing) because of that," Ephemeral's co-founder Josh Sakhai told The New York Post.
Sakhai isn't a tattoo artist and doesn't have any tattoos himself. The 24-year-old grew up in Great Neck, Long Island, as a Persian-Jewish boy, and his religion forbids him from getting tattooed.
"Growing up, I was somewhat rebellious. These traditions and values felt like rules and restrictions, that really felt like limitations on how I can be in the world and how I can express myself. And one of the things that I couldn't do was to get a permanent tattoo. Then when I was out on my own in college, it was time to walk the walk of this rebel I said I was," he told Nylon.
Even so, as a rebellious college-aged student, he nearly got a tattoo but opted out at the last minute because he was too nervous.
Sakhai isn't alone. Most people who shy away from tattoos do so because of their everlasting nature. Those who do get tats often regret it. According to a 2016 Harris Poll, almost half of people aged 18 to 35 have tattoos, and nearly one in four regrets it. Another survey found that 78% of people with tattoos regret at least one of their tattoos. And while laser tattoo removal is a growing multi-billion dollar industry, it's expensive, requires repeated treatments, and often doesn't work all that well.
So, for those who are toying with the idea of getting inked, Ephemeral offers an option to try one on for size first.
For rebellious Sakhai, some part of him still wanted a tat. So, he began dreaming of a way to get around the permanence.
Sakhai and three of his New York University college buddies all of whom grew up in traditional immigrant households where tattoos were taboo spent more than six years making their tattoo ink, going through more than 50 different formulas to find one that faded nicely, reports New York Post.
Ultimately, it was Brennal Pierre and Vandan Shah, who both earned Ph.D.s in Chemical Engineering from NYU, who found the final formula.
"With our background in biomolecular engineering, we've worked with protein stability and protein development. Tattoos are just interactions between the skin (the protein in this case) and the ink, so that's why this problem was of interest to us," Pierre told Bazaar.
For people who are commitment-phobic but love creative self-expression, Ephemeral has your back.
Now, that is a tattoo I could commit to.
We'd love to hear from you! If you have a comment about this article or if you have a tip for a future Freethink story, please email us at [emailprotected]
View original post here:
- Brazilian Tattoo Artist Transforms Physical Appearance To Be An Orc - mit inc - July 22nd, 2021
- I quit my corporate job to become a tattoo artist at 29 years old. Here are 7 things that surprised me most. - Insider - July 22nd, 2021
- Saturday is National Tattoo Day heres where you can get some fresh ink - Very Local New Orleans - July 22nd, 2021
- Tattoo artists from around the world gather for Chicago's largest tattoo convention - Columbia Chronicle - July 22nd, 2021
- Thinking of a tattoo? Here are the most and least painful spots to get inked - Insider - July 22nd, 2021
- 3 Non-Negotiable Tattoo Rules According to Lauren Winzer, Celebrity Ink Artist - Lifehacker Australia - July 22nd, 2021
- Celebrities with Matching Tattoos: See the Couples, Costars and Friends Who've Gotten Matching Ink - PEOPLE - July 22nd, 2021
- Shannon Hemmett of ACTORS and LEATHERS Shares Her Best Work as a Tattoo Artist - Exclaim! - July 22nd, 2021
- Hairline Tattooing and What You Need to Know - menshealth.com - July 22nd, 2021
- The Boston Art Podcast sets out to document underrepresented local creators - The Boston Globe - July 22nd, 2021
- 4-Ever West Tattoo Festival returns, bigger than ever - Wyoming Tribune - July 22nd, 2021
- Body modification fanatic cuts off finger in extreme transformation - New York Post - July 8th, 2021
- Meet the Italian tattoo artist who turned his London backyard into a thriving urban garden - Euronews - July 8th, 2021
- The tattoo artist has made changes in protest and wants to slash his hand - Mediarun Search - July 8th, 2021
- NANG: The World's First Grime Colouring Book Is Here - Complex - July 8th, 2021
- What You Need to Know Before Getting Your First Tattoo, From Celeb Tattoo Artist Lauren Winzer - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - July 8th, 2021
- From tattoos to tokens at Tokyo's first crypto art show - The Japan Times - July 8th, 2021
- Purdue adjusting to new realities of the NIL Era - Rivals.com - Rivals.com - Purdue - July 8th, 2021
- Gran, 83 gets tattoo after Jgerbomb session with ink artist grandson - North Wales Live - July 8th, 2021
- The Tattoo Industry Is Changing and Queer-Owned Spaces Are Leading the Charge - POPSUGAR - June 26th, 2021
- Newfane tattoo artist gives back to the community by giving ink - WIVB.com - News 4 - June 26th, 2021
- 8 Best Lotions for a New Tattoo - Creams and Products for Tattoo Healing and Aftercare - GoodHousekeeping.com - June 26th, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian poses in just a bra & shows off her diamond-encrusted teeth in new photos... - The US Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Rihanna Covers Up Her Matching Shark Tattoo With Drake and Fans Think Its Because of ASAP Rocky - Us Weekly - June 26th, 2021
- Delightful Granddaughter: Grandmaw isn't going to like this - The Star Beacon - June 26th, 2021
- The Internet Came Up With New Reality Show Ideas That Actually Sound Interesting - ScoopWhoop - June 26th, 2021
- Canelo Alvarez: the meaning of the tattoo of the Mexican boxer | What does Canelo's tattoo say | Mexico | MX nnda-nnlt | Mexico - East Africa News... - June 26th, 2021
- 'MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY': SOPHISTICATED AND INTRIGUING - The Republic - June 26th, 2021
- Scar Cover-Up Tattoos Help Women Regain Confidence in Their Bodies - My Modern Met - June 9th, 2021
- How a New Generation of Queer Artists and Patrons Are Redefining Tattoo Culture on Their Own Terms - Vogue - June 9th, 2021
- Tattoo artist goes viral on TikTok with the story of a woman's perfect revenge on her cheating boyfriend - TAG24 NEWS - June 9th, 2021
- A fan pays tribute to Nikola Jokic by getting a tattoo of his patent move the 'Sombor Shuffle' - Basketball Network - June 9th, 2021
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson, 30, and wife Sam, 54, show off matching tattoos - Page Six - June 9th, 2021
- 'Alice the rat was so special': readers on their brilliant, beloved pet tattoos - The Guardian - June 9th, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know Before Getting a Face Tattoo - AskMen - June 9th, 2021
- Help Wanted: An airbrush artist to save the summer - theday.com - June 9th, 2021
- Dining and Dreaming at the Blind Salamander RV Park - Bon Appetit - June 9th, 2021
- Getting an unwanted tattoo removed: what you need to know - Euro Weekly News - June 9th, 2021
- The Stoner Comedy That Honors a 9/11 Firefighter - Rare.us - June 9th, 2021
- Champions of Pride 2021: The West Coast - Advocate.com - Advocate.com - June 9th, 2021
- Tattooed bride and groom flaunt ink as they pose with pal on leash for wedding day - Daily Star - June 9th, 2021
- Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times - May 28th, 2021
- What you need to know to become a tattoo artist - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - May 28th, 2021
- Woman spends $45k to cover body in one tattoo - NEWS.com.au - May 28th, 2021
- Can Tattoos Cause Cancer? The Health Risks of Inking - Healthline - May 28th, 2021
- Yang Zhen Lee's trauma-informed tattooing prioritizes boundaries and trust - PGH City Paper - May 28th, 2021
- The Skin I'm In - INKED - May 28th, 2021
- Dalton, Ga.'s Jones to host show on tattoos that debuts Friday on Fox Nation - Moultrie Observer - May 28th, 2021
- American Exchange Group signs on as Licensee for Ed Hardy in Watches, Jewelry, Handbag, and Accessories Categories - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Everything You Need To Know About Made-To-Fade Semi-Permanent Tattoos - GLAMOUR UK - May 28th, 2021
- 30 Sureal 3D Tattoos Ideas to Try (2021) - The Trend Spotter - May 28th, 2021
- The tattooing culture of the Americas - Times of Malta - May 28th, 2021
- Teen Mom Briana DeJesus reveals shes moving out of $269k family home to live with fiance Javi and her tw... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- Im a mum-of-three with my body & face COVERED in tattoos Ive even inked my lips... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- The 8 Most Tatted Up Rockers - Popdust - May 28th, 2021
- Amber Luke, Whose Body Is 98% Tattooed, Covers Them With Makeup - BroBible - May 28th, 2021
- How tattoos have evolved in different cultures throughout history - Euro Weekly News - May 28th, 2021
- Jada Pinkett Smith Agrees to Get Matching Tattoos With Willow and Gammy on 'Red Table Talk' (Exclusive) - KVUE.com - May 28th, 2021
- 19 Actors Who Actually Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie And TV Roles - BuzzFeed - May 16th, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian Tattoos I Love You on Boyfriend Travis Barkers Arm and Fans Are Freaking Out - Us Weekly - May 16th, 2021
- The Inked Huntress Tattoo Studio is making its mark in Fargo - INFORUM - May 16th, 2021
- Perfectly Drawn Tattoos Look Like Stickers Placed on the Skin - My Modern Met - May 16th, 2021
- 20 Celebrities Who Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie/TV Roles - FandomWire - May 16th, 2021
- Keith Urban Was At Mall Food Court When Taylor Swift Texted About Collab | The Bobby Bones Show | The Bobby Bones Show - iHeartRadio - May 16th, 2021
- The Story Behind One of the Oldest Art Glass Studios in the US - Hyperallergic - May 16th, 2021
- Mark Tuan on Experimenting With His Solo Aesthetic and Skin Care | Interview - Allure - May 16th, 2021
- Take folk art wherever you go with Redemption Tattoo or display a Santa for every season with the help of Vaillancourt Folk Art - WCVB Boston - May 16th, 2021
- Why is this Fayetteville tattoo artist getting so much attention on TikTok? - The Fayetteville Observer - May 4th, 2021
- Scar tissue: Vietnamese women find healing with tattoos - The Japan Times - May 4th, 2021
- Gypsy Carver Brings Ideas to Life - Thelaker - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 4th, 2021
- Danny Trejo Reveals the Artist Behind His Iconic Chest Tattoo Actually Hated It (Exclusive) - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 4th, 2021
- Senior brings passion for art and tattoos to the campus community - The Hawk - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo artist finds Robin Hoods Silver Arrow while magnet fishing in Sherwood Forest... - The Sun - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo Peeling: What's Normal and How to Care for It in 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 4th, 2021
- LeBron James gets tattoo of 'the big 3' with Lakers return near - New York Post - May 4th, 2021
- 6 Fresh Nail Art Ideas From Around the World - Allure - May 4th, 2021
- Mothers Day Gift ideas with Jeremiah David Stroup - KOIN.com - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Shows Off Results Of Second Ever Tattoo After Getting Inked On Instagram - HuffPost UK - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo artist accused of spray painting businesses acquitted - KVRR - April 19th, 2021