WARREN, Ohio May is Mental Health Awareness Month and a Trumbull County woman is taking the time to share her story of mental illness and addiction to help others.
Alyssa Zebrasky went viral for a series of mugshots showcasing her memorable facial tattoos in 2018 and 2019.
I didnt think I was going to make it to 30, Zebrasky said. Im a completely different person than I was two, three years ago.
Three years ago, Zebrasky was entangled in a web of mental trauma and addiction.
I was really bad on heroin for a while. But I used everything, Zebrasky said. I was doing meth, and I was doing suboxone.
Zebrasky said she and her ex-boyfriend used drugs together and he told her to get facial tattoos and some hand tattoos as part of a gang initiation.
I kind of was like, 'I've already been to prison, how much more can it hurt to get my face tattooed?' and I really didn't realize what I was getting myself into, Zebrasky said.
Zebrasky dealt with hateful comments from friends and strangers alike.
The things that people were saying about me like oh she's always going to be a junkie, she's never going to stop using drugs, Zebrasky said. Im more hurt than anything because people make these assumptions by just looking at me and I'm not a mean person.
Joanna Mannon, the co-occurring diagnosis family coordinator at the National Alliance on Mental Illness in Lake County said those kinds of comments stem from ignorance.
It's more than making a choice. Folks want to be well, and it's difficult. There's a disease process that happens in the brain, Mannon said. And the truth is that on social media, folks roast other people and shame others and make fun of others. And it just compounds this terrible weight of stigma on individuals.
Zebrasky said the negativity piled onto her pain stemming from mental health issues that have gone untreated since childhood.
Due to being misdiagnosed I started with cutting and stuff, Zebrasky said. And then as I got older, I turned more to drugs to kind of calm that pain. I didn't know why I was feeling this pain.
And the tattoos,Zebrasky said they were a coping mechanism too.
I give myself physical pain to make up for this invisible pain that I don't know where it's coming from, Zebrasky said.
After her arrest in 2019, Zebrasky said she decided to make a change for good and got into a drug court program that connected her to a therapist and a 12-step program.
A few times I tried to get clean. I was never able to get clean because I never got the help that I needed for my mental health, Zebrasky said. And it wasn't until this last go around with the law that I actually got help for my mental health first and sort of working on that because mental health and addiction go hand in hand.
Mannon said there's a definitive link between addiction and mental illness.
It's astronomical as to how many folks who have a substance use disorder have a mental health condition. And so oftentimes we find that people are attempting to cope by using substances, or behavioral addictions like gambling or sexual addictions, things like that, and that it's like attempting to escape the reality that they just can't find any relief from often. That's how it starts, Mannon said.
Zebrasky has been in recovery for two years now, has her own place, a job and a dog, and is now taking the last step to shedding her old identity.
Tattoo laser removal company Removery is getting rid of her facial and hand tattoos as part of their free INK-nitiative program. Its a community outreach initiative that provides safe, effective, and free removal on the hands, neck, and face to people in need who were formerly incarcerated, gang members, survivors of human trafficking, or wish to remove hate symbols or racist tattoos.
For everyone who pays for a tattoo removal from Removery, the company provides a free removal service to someone in need.
Zebrasky applied for the program in October and has done four sessions since. She said it's done wonders for her recovery and mental health.
These tattoos represent a time in my life that I'm not too proud of anymore, Zebrasky said. Its done a lot. I'm more confident. I love myself again. I actually can sit by myself with just me in complete silence and just not hate existence.
Shes hoping her story helps others make changes to feel the same way.
I just want to help the next person. That's all I want, Zebrasky said. If it only helps one person, Id be happy.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline1-800-273-8255
The PEER Center Warm Line(614) 358-TALK (8255), 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Disaster Distress Helpline1-800-985-5990 (1-800-846-8517 TTY)
Ohio Crisis Text LineText the keyword 4HOPE to 741 741
Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services help line1-877-275-6364 (to find resources in your community)
Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services COVID-19 resources: Click here.
Jade Jarvis is a reporter at News 5 Cleveland. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Download the News 5 Cleveland app now for more stories from us, plus alerts on major news, the latest weather forecast, traffic information and much more. Download now on your Apple device here, and your Android device here.
You can also catch News 5 Cleveland on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, YouTube TV, DIRECTV NOW, Hulu Live and more. We're also on Amazon Alexa devices. Learn more about our streaming options here.
Continue reading here:
- Tarnished Provides Advanced Laser Tattoo Removal and Tattoo Modification Using the Astanza Duality in Oakville, Connecticut - Yahoo Finance - June 9th, 2021
- This Is What Its Like To Get A Tattoo Removed, If You Once Had No Ragrets But Now Have Some - Pedestrian TV - June 9th, 2021
- Meet ArrDee: The Brighton rapper behind TikTok's biggest song right now - The Tab - May 16th, 2021
- Laser All Brings Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal and Painless Laser Hair Removal to Westminster, CO with the Astanza Trinity and Astanza ReSmooth... - April 19th, 2021
- Regretting a tattoo? These are your options when it comes to getting rid of it - Fashion Journal - February 19th, 2021
- My Experience Lightening and ... - Tattoos & Piercings - February 14th, 2021
- 'Britain's most tattooed woman' shows what she looks like with ink covered up - Daily Star - February 6th, 2021
- Tattoo Removal Market Trends, Comprehensive Research Study, Development Status, Opportunities, Future Demand, Competitive Landscape and Growth by... - January 22nd, 2021
- Free tattoo removal event helps give people a clean break with past - Stockton Record - January 20th, 2021
- WJFW Newswatch 12 - News From Where You Live - Rhinelander Wisconsin WJFW TV-12 - WJFW-TV - January 20th, 2021
- Kat Von D tattoo cover- up revealed: Tattoo artist shows off new ink! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - December 18th, 2020
- Ribbon Cutting in Boca Raton: LifeGaines Medical and Aesthetics Center Will Receive the Lumenis Excellence Award at Their Ribbon Cutting Event Today... - December 17th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal Procedure, Benefits, and Risks - December 12th, 2020
- How Does Laser Tattoo Removal Work? 7 Facts You Need to Know - December 12th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - December 12th, 2020
- The Best Tattoo Removalists in Canberra - The RiotACT - December 6th, 2020
- Laser tattoo removal offers hope for future - December 5th, 2020
- Laser tattoo removal offers hope for future | fox43.com - December 5th, 2020
- 7 Stars Who Had to Remove Tattoos of Their Exes, From Johnny Depp to Pete Davidson (Photos) - msnNOW - December 2nd, 2020
- The Best Laser Tattoo Removalists in Canberra - The RiotACT - November 30th, 2020
- How Much Does Tattoo Removal Cost? [2020 Price Guide] - November 12th, 2020
- 7 FAQs About Laser Tattoo Removal | Blog | Balshi Dermatology - November 12th, 2020
- The MedSpa on 5th Removes Unwanted Tattoos and Skin Blemishes with the Astanza Duality in Mount Dora, Florida - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2020
- E-dermis Magnetic Tattoo Removal An Alternative Way of Tattoo Elimination - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - November 3rd, 2020
- Understanding Laser Tattoo Removal | University of Utah Health - October 29th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How Much Lasering a Tattoo Costs and Hurts ... - October 29th, 2020
- Panacea Tattoo Removal Offers a Second Chance with Laser Tattoo Removal Featuring the Astanza Duality in Grand Junction, CO - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal: From Prep to Aftercare, Heres What to Expect - HYPEBAE - October 27th, 2020
- What To Expect When You Get a Tattoo - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 2nd, 2020
- 9 Tips for Tattoo Removal Health Essentials from ... - September 28th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal Lasers: Types & Differences - September 28th, 2020
- What You Need to Know Before Tattoo Removal - - RushPRnews.com - September 26th, 2020
- These innovative regimes and therapies are worth booking well in advance - Connecticut Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Chinese Taxi Drivers Ordered To Remove Tattoos - INKED - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How to, Costs, Before and After Pictures ... - September 9th, 2020
- Tattoo removal - Mayo Clinic - September 9th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal - Swinyer-Woseth Dermatology - September 9th, 2020
- 6 Things Everyone Gets Wrong About Laser Tattoo Removal | SELF - September 9th, 2020
- How to Remove Your Unwanted Tattoo Permanently and Safely - Chiang Rai Times - August 25th, 2020
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Tattoo Removal | Glamour - August 22nd, 2020
- How To Remove A Permanent Tattoo: DIY Methods and Surgical ... - August 22nd, 2020
- Laser surgery - Wikipedia - August 22nd, 2020
- 'Erase The Mistake' effort addresses unwanted tattoos - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 18th, 2020
- Removery's INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist and Hate Tattoos For Free - Tyler Morning Telegraph - August 12th, 2020
- Interest In Tattoo Removal High As Removery Safely Opens Its Doors - PRNewswire - July 15th, 2020
- How to Remove a Tattoo without Laser at Home - September 13th, 2019
- Tattoo removal - Wikipedia - September 13th, 2019