Whether youre choosing the best sunscreen for yourself or a loved one, the shelves will be stocked with a broad spectrum (and we dont just mean broad-spectrum SPF) of sprays and lotions this summer. The multitude of brands and formulas can be confusing, but with a little bit of knowledge and direction, there are great UV protection options available for every skin type and situation (looking at you, coral reef divers). Everybody has different skincare needs and preferences, which may include the safest picks for little ones or environmental concerns. First and foremost, a premium sunscreen should protect skin from harsh UV rays, but there are some other important factors to consider when making your selection. From tattoo-friendly lotion choices to a dermatologist-favorite best face sunscreen, these are the best sunscreens to keep your skin protected all summer long.
At baseline, a good sunscreen must protect your skin from harmful UV rays. The label should specifically indicate that the formula protects from both UVA (aging) and UVB (burning) raysotherwise known as full-spectrum sunscreen. The best sunscreens not only have SPF levels of 30+, but they also moisturize your skin. Depending on how active you are during a day in the sun or how frequently you go in the water, look for a lotion that is also sweat- and water-resistant. Beyond that, different people will have different skincare and sun-protection needs, so lets think about goals, health, and lifestyle values and highlight some options.
Related: The best beach umbrella offers extra sun protection for your oceanside oasis.
Dermatologists suggest wearing the best sunscreen every day, so look for a formula that fits into your daily skincare regimen and, if necessary, one that you can wear under makeup. Tinted sunscreens may be a good option for some people. The best tinted sunscreen will easily smooth into your skin and even out your complexion, no foundation or concealer needed.
EltaMD tinted sunscreen, with broad-spectrum SPF 40, protects your skin against harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun. This best face sunscreen lotion contains hyaluronic acid, which helps to reduce fine lines and boosts moisture retention. The doctor-approved, mineral-based product is lightweight and non-greasy, which means it rubs into your skin easily and can be worn with or without makeup. This best tinted sunscreen keeps your skin tone even and protects your face from the elements whether youve planned an active day at the beach or youre just relaxing by the pool.
Many brands are now developing lotions without oxybenzone and octinoxate, which can be harmful to the beautiful coral reefs in our oceans. Eco-conscious consumers should look for the words reef-safe on sunscreen packaging. To further protect the environment, some spray bottles are now non-aerosol-free. And, if you find applying suntan lotion tedious, you might want to consider including spray sunscreen. You may have to work a bit harder to ensure you have full coverage, but its a good choice for speedy applications and for those who like to stay active.
This body mist protects your skin from the sun while the non-aerosol spray packaging protects the environment. Supergoop!
This Supergoop! SPF 50 body mist tops the best spray sunscreen list for many reasons. Reef-friendly, broad-spectrum, and infused with natural ingredients like vitamin C, plus green tea and acai extracts, you can trust youre protected from harsh UVA and UVB rays while the refreshing scent transports your mind to a tropical oasis (if youre not already there). As an added bonus, the mist can be sprayed on wet skin, so you dont have to wait to apply once you get out of the water. Its also sweat-resistant for up to 80 minutes.
Related: A guide to sun protection for people with darker skin
Individuals with tattoos will want the best sunscreen that works to keep their body art protected so it doesnt fade over time. You definitely didnt spend hours in the chair for that ink to last less than a lifetime.
Created with tattoos in mind, this sunscreen protects your tink from fading, drying, and cracking. TATTOO CARE
Tattoo sun protection is an increasing concern for people from all walks of life. This dermatologically tested choice, suitable for all skin types, contains natural ingredients including calendula, cocoa butter, jojoba, and vitamins A and Eall proven to provide multiple skincare benefits. The lotion offers two layers of protection for both your skin and your body arta 30 SPF with UVA and UVB broad-spectrum sun filter, plus a unique formula that moisturizes your tattoos to ensure they wont dry out, crack, or fade.
Babies and toddlers will naturally have more sensitive skin than adults, so the best sunscreen for them has high coverage and is paraben- and fragrance-free. And if you have kids and dont want to lug 10 different lotions in your beach bag for every family member, there are also options that will work for the majority of your crew.
This No. 1 pediatrician-recommended sunscreen has a kid-friendly bottle that turns pink in harmful UV light, reminding mom and dad that its time to reapply. BLUE LIZARD
Blue Lizard Baby Mineral Sunscreen is paraben- and fragrance-free, making it a great choice for your babys sensitive skin. Active minerals and ingredients such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide offer broad-spectrum SPF 50+ protection against harmful UV rays for your little ones, while leaving out potential toxins like oxybenzone and octinoxate in order to protect the planets endangered coral reefs. Your kids will love the Elmo-themed bottle, while you appreciate the 80 minutes of water and sweat resistance!
If you want an organic option, seek out natural ingredients. Many brands, even ones on a budget, now contain vitamins A, C, and E, as well as cocoa butter, green tea extracts, and more beneficial additions. That is great news for your skin because youre not only getting the UV protection you need from these products, but also boosting moisture and possibly reducing fine lines, too.
This affordable organic sunscreen is a one-stop shop for the whole family. Two Peas Organics
With Two Peas Organics Mineral Sunscreen, youre getting a lot for an affordable price. The combination of all plant-derived, certified organic ingredients with SPF 50 broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection makes this product a superior choice while remaining wallet-friendly for families on a budget. Two Peas is water- and sweat-resistant for up to 2 hours, plus it offers protection and peace of mind about what youre applying to your childs skin. Pro tip: This product contains zinc oxide, which helps to prevent sunburns, but it may require some extra time to rub in.
The short answer is yes, and dermatologists strongly suggest you do. UV rays can damage the skin on sunny or overcast days, so the best way to protect yourself is to wear sunblock. If you dont want that traditionally sticky sunscreen feel on your skin every day, choose a product that is non-greasy, oil-free, and is absorbed like a moisturizer.
Dermatologists recommend using an SPF of at least 30, which blocks 97 percent of UVB rays. Recent research indicates that SPF higher than 50 will only offer marginally better protection; wearing one that is over 50 may even encourage you to stay out in the sun longer. The most important aspects of sunscreen application are how you apply it (liberally) and how often you wear it (follow directions on the bottle, but it should be daily).
The FDA requires sunscreens to keep their original strength for at least three years. Most sunscreen bottles will include an expiration date and should not be used past that date. Ingredients in sunscreen can go bad; youll know its time to toss it if the lotion has a watery consistency.
Related: The best beach chairs for lounging by the pool or on the beach
No matter your skin typeoily, acne-prone, or sensitivethere is a best face sunscreen lotion or best spray sunscreen, etc. out there created specifically for your needs. No matter how active you are and what ingredients appeal to your sense of health and wellness, the best sunscreen will offer maximum protection against UV rays and wont irritate your skin, nor will it break the bank. Now get out there, get vitamin D, and dont forget to reapply!
Read the rest here:
- According to artists, the Best and Worst Types of Tattoos To Get - Central Recorder - November 23rd, 2021
- Go Behind the Scenes of Succession with Jihae - TownandCountrymag.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Im a makeup artist and these are the most annoying things clients do PLEASE put your phone away... - The US Sun - November 9th, 2021
- Ariana Grande on Creating the Perfect rem Beauty Makeup Line And Secret "Harry Potter" Reference - Seventeen.com - November 9th, 2021
- All New Beauty Launches Arriving in November 2021 - TeenVogue.com - November 9th, 2021
- Katherine Ryan: I thought plastic surgery was aspirational - The Guardian - November 9th, 2021
- Reese Witherspoon's daughter complains to this fellow celeb child about mom-lookalike comparisons, more news - Wonderwall - November 9th, 2021
- Travis Barker's Utterly Distraught Ex-Wife Shanna Moakler Sobs Into The Phone After Rocker Covers Up Tattoo Of Her Name With New Fiance Kourtney... - October 29th, 2021
- Why Are NFL Players So Obsessed With The Dark Knight? - The Ringer - October 29th, 2021
- National salon franchise coming to Milwaukee's Third Ward - BizTimes Milwaukee - October 29th, 2021
- Allouez gets updates on Webster Avenue, south landfill - The Press-Times - October 29th, 2021
- 23 Thanksgiving Makeup Ideas That Pair Well With Pumpkin Pie - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 29th, 2021
- Kaiit On Her Epic Tattoo Collection, Musical Inspirations And Love For 1920s Makeup - The Urban List - October 17th, 2021
- Inside the techniques and ideas behind portrait tattoos - Los Angeles Times - October 17th, 2021
- Mama June, 42, teases new boo then cozies up to handsome tattoo artist after relationship with boy toy Ti... - The US Sun - October 17th, 2021
- Tattoo their name on your body if you love them. Get their face if you really care - Yahoo News - October 17th, 2021
- How Inked made its mark on local television history - The Spinoff - October 5th, 2021
- 13 Latinx-Owned Beauty Brands to Support Now and Always - Vogue - October 5th, 2021
- This female tattoo artist is making her mark in a male-dominated field | Venture - Daily Hive - September 1st, 2021
- The Best Mens Makeup? 5 Pros Share Their Go-To Picks - Vogue - September 1st, 2021
- He's All That Ending, Explained: Do Padgett and Cameron End Up Together? - The Cinemaholic - September 1st, 2021
- Tattoos in the Workplace in 2021 - Fife Free Press - September 1st, 2021
- News to note : Women in Afghanistan fear for their lives and futures, trouble at Times Up & more - Boss Betty - August 20th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Reveals Dramatic Head Tattoo After Shaving off His Hair - PopCulture.com - August 20th, 2021
- 24 of the best beauty products on Amazon that are worth adding to cart - CNN - August 20th, 2021
- This Woman Covered Her Face and Body Tattoos to See if Her Family Would Recognize Her - menshealth.com - August 20th, 2021
- We Tried 8 Viral TikTok Beauty Trends To See If They Really Work - Todayuknews - Todayuknews - August 20th, 2021
- 7 New Netflix Shows You Can Watch This Weekend - Best Life - August 6th, 2021
- Ink positive: how tattoos can heal the mind as well as adorn the body - The Guardian - August 6th, 2021
- 18 Celebs Who Have Looked Back At Their Iconic Past Looks And Gone, "Never Again" - BuzzFeed - August 6th, 2021
- Graphic Eyeliner Is The Makeup Trend You Need Right Now - OK! - July 22nd, 2021
- Permanent makeup: Give yourself a winter beauty boost - New Zealand Herald - July 22nd, 2021
- Celebrities Who Have Had Tattoos Removed: Stars Who Have Undergone the Painful Laser Process - Life&Style Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Watch This Man React to Seeing His Girlfriend Without Face Tattoos for the First Time - menshealth.com - July 8th, 2021
- Which Kardashian-Jenners Have Tattoos? Photos of Khloe, Rob, Kylie, Kendall and Kris Ink - Life&Style Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Marion to adopt body art regulations | Sippican - Sippican Week - July 8th, 2021
- Ludacris On Why He Ditched Plan To Get Covered In Tattoos - AllHipHop - July 8th, 2021
- Brooke Shields on her iconic brows and her definition of self-care - Glossy - July 8th, 2021
- 7 Best Lip Stains That Give You A Popsicle Finish - MissMalini - July 8th, 2021
- Skin Check-In with Dr. Will: The Top-Requested Aesthetic Procedures and Treatments for Summer 2021 - Life&Style Weekly - June 26th, 2021
- Viral video of full body tattoo transformation shows the power of a good makeup artist - Digital Journal - June 26th, 2021
- How to use viral Rampage tattoo filter on TikTok and Instagram - Dexerto - June 9th, 2021
- 7 Reasons to Venture Into the Cosmetics Industry - ABCmoney.co.uk - May 28th, 2021
- The answer to eyebrows gone wrong on Jessops Journeys - ABC 4 - May 28th, 2021
- Iconic 90s Beauty Products That Are Being Revived in 2021 - Femina - May 28th, 2021
- Teen Mom 2s Briana DeJesus is getting serious with boyfriend Javi See photo of them from the reunion - Monsters and Critics - May 28th, 2021
- Landon Barker Gushes Over Kourtney K.'s 'Fire' Tattoo on Travis - In Touch Weekly - May 16th, 2021
- Aesthetic tattoos that cover scars and beautify, how to get one safely? Explica .co - Explica - May 16th, 2021
- James Charles is being sued, Cara Delevingne is auctioning off a NFT of her vagina, and other beauty news - Buro 24/7 Singapore - May 16th, 2021
- Britain's 'Most Tattooed Woman' Covered Up All of Her Ink for a Day - menshealth.com - May 4th, 2021
- Mama June: June Shannon gives Parenting Advice Shares Dos And Donts; Know Which Negative Comment Bothered Her The Most - TV Season Spoilers - May 4th, 2021
- Tinkerbell with tattoos, inked Incredibles; Disney to allow visible tattoos on cast members - WKRG News 5 - April 19th, 2021
- The Ron Swanson Mistake You Never Noticed In Parks And Recreation - Looper - April 4th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Reveals Creative Use For David Bowie Tattoo - The Inquisitr News - April 4th, 2021
- Watch Travis Barkers Daughter Alabama Cover Up His Face Tattoos With Makeup - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- Is There KVD Beauty Without Kat Von D? - The Business of Fashion - March 8th, 2021
- What Is Microshading? Heres What To Know About the No-Maintenance, Feathery Brows Everyones Talking About - Well+Good - March 8th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston finally reveals the meaning behind her '11 11' wrist tattoo - Cosmopolitan UK - March 8th, 2021
- Popular new makeup products to try in 2021 - Belfast Live - February 19th, 2021
- Woman Reacts To Seeing Boyfriend For First Time Without Tattoo-Covered Face - BroBible - February 19th, 2021
- Test Pattern Director Shatara Michelle Ford on Making Their First Film and Being Emotionally Truthful - TheStranger.com - February 19th, 2021
- Here's Why Jeffree Star's 'Delicious' Neck Tattoo Is One Of His Favorites - TheThings - February 17th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the ever-diminishing returns of the Crow franchise - The Spool - February 14th, 2021
- 'Justice League': Check out Jared Leto's freaky Joker in the trailer for Zack Snyder's new HBO Max cut - USA TODAY - February 14th, 2021
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder Addresses Absence Of The Joker's SUICIDE SQUAD Tattoos In The Snyder Cut - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - February 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder explains why Joker's tattoos were removed in Justice League - Explica - February 11th, 2021
- How TikTok communists are reclaiming the hammer and sickle - i-D - February 11th, 2021
- Why Leto's Joker Doesn't Have His "Damaged" Tattoo In Justice League - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Site of the day: Want a tattoo? You have to download this app - Explica - February 10th, 2021
- Salma Hayek Shows off Chest Tattoos for New Movie 'Bliss' - PopCulture.com - February 7th, 2021
- The rise of beauty enhancements and Maya Darwiche - Sunrise News - February 7th, 2021
- The eyes have it: Above-the-mask makeup sees pandemic surge - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2021
- BB14 promo: Salman Khan schools Abhinav for his choice of words; asks if he's 'going in the right direction' - Times Now - February 7th, 2021
- Tattoo Stamp - MILK MAKEUP | Sephora - February 6th, 2021
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadow - Maybelline - February 6th, 2021
- Salma Hayek flaunts new large tattoo and fans freak out - HOLA USA - February 6th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid Now Has A Tattoo Tribute To Baby Girl And It Matches Zayn Maliks - Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Bobrisky lavishes N596k while shopping for lady that tattooed him on her back - Legit.ng - February 4th, 2021
- Make-up artist Mei Pang is turning the internet into her beauty playground - Dazed - February 4th, 2021