Don't Ink Your Mug Without Reading This First
The AskMen editorial team thoroughly researches & reviews the best gear, services and staples for life. AskMen may get paid if you click a link in this article and buy a product or service.
Product photos from retailer site.
Artistic expression comes in many forms. We may choose to do something as simple as wearing floral-print socks or as drastic as dying our hair teal, but there is, perhaps, no more permanent display of personal aesthetic than getting a tattoo.
RELATED: Best Tattoo Creams and Lotions
Despite once being considered taboo or rebellious, the popularity of tattoos has only been on the rise. In fact, nearly 30 percent of the countrys population is said to be inked. Thats a whole lot of red hearts with the word mom etched in them.
While some may opt for a tiny (and clichd, sorry) Chinese character or an entire sleeve, one extreme iteration that has garnered recent attention is face tattoos. And no, you dont have to go to Aaron Carter or Post Malone lengths to rock one.
We chatted with N.Y.C. tattoo artist Ariel Wei (whose minimalist tattoos are all the rage!) of Blindreason Tattoo to get her take on the trend and what interested customers should keep in mind before locking in that appointment date.
AskMen: Why do you think there has been a rise in face tattoo popularity?
Ariel Wei: There are celebrities who have them, so people saw them and they became a bit more normalized. Also, the stigma behind tattoos has slowly been fading. People who work in office spaces and companies seem to get tattoos, in general, more than before. I think face tattoos were infamous for being prison or gang-related, but nowwith the various styles of tattooing it has become more approachable to the public.
AM: Do you have to treat the skin differently if a tattoo is going on the face?
AW: Yes, the skin varies and it also depends on the person. Some people have thinner skin and some have thicker. The skin on the face is usually more sensitive than other parts of the body. I need to be extra careful and also go lighter [with the needle].
AM: How badly do face tattoos hurt compared to the rest of the body?
AW: Pain always depends on a number of things like the style of the tattoo, the clients tolerance, etc. Because I do fine-line tattoos, I can only speak for my clients who usually say that the tattoo process doesnt hurt as much as they thought, or that it doesnt even hurt at all. Bolder and darker tattoos definitely hurt more. It can also depend on how heavy-heaved the artist may be.
AM: What are the best types of designs and spots for a face tattoo?
AW: Its hard to say a type of design, just because everyone has a different style and look they go for. A smaller, delicate tattoo (something not so crazy in detail) is what Id recommend for first-timers so that it doesnt overwhelm you. You know never if youd like to remove it one day.
When it comes to placement, I personally like the sideburn area or the side of the forehead, where the hairline starts. The area above the eyebrow and the upper cheek is cool, too.
AM: How much do face tattoos typically cost?
AW: Pricing always depends on the artist. I cant speak for everyone, so Ill just say that for me, areas that are more difficult to tattoo and require a specific skill set to achieve, usually cost more.
AM: What should people keep in mind before deciding to get a face tattoo?
AW: Any tattoo is permanent. I highly recommend thinking about the idea and all the factors that may affect you before committing to a face tattoo. A face tattoo, in particular, changes your appearance because you cant really hide it. You dont have to care about other people [or what they think], but giving it a second thought wont hurt you. The stigma around tattoos is changing, but there are people who will still judge you by your appearance.
Should you choose to partake in a face tattoo (or any tattoo, for that matter), nothing is more important than proper aftercare (i.e. cleaning the wound and keeping it moisturized). Depending on the size and body part, you may also have different preferences when it comes to soaps, balms, and creams, but here are three tried-and-true products that should essentially work for everyone during the healing process.
Youre going to need to keep your tattooed area free of any microbes or bacteria that can lead to a nasty infection. Tattoo Goo is equal parts fun to say and effective, making it an industry leader for years. Its pH balance is also slightly acidic to help buffer the skin while providing its protective qualities.
Promising Review: I have been working on a sleeve. The first part of the tattoo I got I did not have Tattoo Goo. The second session I used Tattoo Goo for keeping my tattoo clean and I feel like it helped cut down the healing time. I used the soap in conjunction with Tattoo Goo Salve for moisturizing. The soap and salve have a very natural scent to them. I liked that. I will continue to buy and use on future tattoos. - Nichole
$6.99 on Amazon
Most tattoo artists are going to recommend the popular ointment as a way to keep the area moisturized and open to the flow of oxygen. Once your tattoo scabs and heals, you can also keep this tube to treat most of your most pressing skin care needs during dry winters.
Promising Review: Perfect for tattoos. Didnt see anyone mention this, but Ive used this brand for all of my tats. Definitely recommend. - Austin
$7.19 on Amazon
If balms are more your vibe, this highly-rated blend of all-natural ingredients like grapeseed oil, shea butter, and chamomile extract is perfect for before, during, and after the tattoo process. It also smells great,
Promising Review: I've never had a tattoo heal as quickly before! The balm isn't greasy and doesn't leave a film when you apply it. The day after I got my most recent tattoo, I applied it about ever 4 hours and the second day I applied it twice. I applied it intermittently for the next couple of days and my tattoo hasn't even scabbed over; it's mostly just dry and smooth. - BattleD4D
$9.88 on Amazon
Tattoos are an extremely personal decision, though the results dont always come out as anticipated. Through laser or surgical removal and/or dermabrasion treatments, you can effectively get rid of the art that was once dear to your heart, but it doesnt come without consequences. Tattoo removal is notoriously expensive and painful and may require multiple sessions to achieve a desired outcome. Its important for you to research tattoo artists, their specialties, and what you hope to accomplish before sitting in the chair.
You Might Also Dig:
Here is the original post:
- Scar Cover-Up Tattoos Help Women Regain Confidence in Their Bodies - My Modern Met - June 9th, 2021
- How a New Generation of Queer Artists and Patrons Are Redefining Tattoo Culture on Their Own Terms - Vogue - June 9th, 2021
- Tattoo artist goes viral on TikTok with the story of a woman's perfect revenge on her cheating boyfriend - TAG24 NEWS - June 9th, 2021
- A fan pays tribute to Nikola Jokic by getting a tattoo of his patent move the 'Sombor Shuffle' - Basketball Network - June 9th, 2021
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson, 30, and wife Sam, 54, show off matching tattoos - Page Six - June 9th, 2021
- 'Alice the rat was so special': readers on their brilliant, beloved pet tattoos - The Guardian - June 9th, 2021
- Help Wanted: An airbrush artist to save the summer - theday.com - June 9th, 2021
- Dining and Dreaming at the Blind Salamander RV Park - Bon Appetit - June 9th, 2021
- Getting an unwanted tattoo removed: what you need to know - Euro Weekly News - June 9th, 2021
- The Stoner Comedy That Honors a 9/11 Firefighter - Rare.us - June 9th, 2021
- Champions of Pride 2021: The West Coast - Advocate.com - Advocate.com - June 9th, 2021
- Tattooed bride and groom flaunt ink as they pose with pal on leash for wedding day - Daily Star - June 9th, 2021
- Justin Bieber and Drake's tattoo artist is the skin guru you need to know - Los Angeles Times - May 28th, 2021
- What you need to know to become a tattoo artist - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - May 28th, 2021
- Woman spends $45k to cover body in one tattoo - NEWS.com.au - May 28th, 2021
- Can Tattoos Cause Cancer? The Health Risks of Inking - Healthline - May 28th, 2021
- Yang Zhen Lee's trauma-informed tattooing prioritizes boundaries and trust - PGH City Paper - May 28th, 2021
- The Skin I'm In - INKED - May 28th, 2021
- Dalton, Ga.'s Jones to host show on tattoos that debuts Friday on Fox Nation - Moultrie Observer - May 28th, 2021
- American Exchange Group signs on as Licensee for Ed Hardy in Watches, Jewelry, Handbag, and Accessories Categories - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Everything You Need To Know About Made-To-Fade Semi-Permanent Tattoos - GLAMOUR UK - May 28th, 2021
- 30 Sureal 3D Tattoos Ideas to Try (2021) - The Trend Spotter - May 28th, 2021
- The tattooing culture of the Americas - Times of Malta - May 28th, 2021
- Teen Mom Briana DeJesus reveals shes moving out of $269k family home to live with fiance Javi and her tw... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- Im a mum-of-three with my body & face COVERED in tattoos Ive even inked my lips... - The US Sun - May 28th, 2021
- The 8 Most Tatted Up Rockers - Popdust - May 28th, 2021
- Amber Luke, Whose Body Is 98% Tattooed, Covers Them With Makeup - BroBible - May 28th, 2021
- How tattoos have evolved in different cultures throughout history - Euro Weekly News - May 28th, 2021
- Jada Pinkett Smith Agrees to Get Matching Tattoos With Willow and Gammy on 'Red Table Talk' (Exclusive) - KVUE.com - May 28th, 2021
- 19 Actors Who Actually Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie And TV Roles - BuzzFeed - May 16th, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian Tattoos I Love You on Boyfriend Travis Barkers Arm and Fans Are Freaking Out - Us Weekly - May 16th, 2021
- The Inked Huntress Tattoo Studio is making its mark in Fargo - INFORUM - May 16th, 2021
- Perfectly Drawn Tattoos Look Like Stickers Placed on the Skin - My Modern Met - May 16th, 2021
- 20 Celebrities Who Got Tattoos To Honor Their Movie/TV Roles - FandomWire - May 16th, 2021
- Keith Urban Was At Mall Food Court When Taylor Swift Texted About Collab | The Bobby Bones Show | The Bobby Bones Show - iHeartRadio - May 16th, 2021
- The Story Behind One of the Oldest Art Glass Studios in the US - Hyperallergic - May 16th, 2021
- Mark Tuan on Experimenting With His Solo Aesthetic and Skin Care | Interview - Allure - May 16th, 2021
- Take folk art wherever you go with Redemption Tattoo or display a Santa for every season with the help of Vaillancourt Folk Art - WCVB Boston - May 16th, 2021
- Why is this Fayetteville tattoo artist getting so much attention on TikTok? - The Fayetteville Observer - May 4th, 2021
- Scar tissue: Vietnamese women find healing with tattoos - The Japan Times - May 4th, 2021
- Gypsy Carver Brings Ideas to Life - Thelaker - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Just Got a Red X Inked on Her Arm and She Drank Wine to Numb the Pain - Us Weekly - May 4th, 2021
- Danny Trejo Reveals the Artist Behind His Iconic Chest Tattoo Actually Hated It (Exclusive) - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 4th, 2021
- Senior brings passion for art and tattoos to the campus community - The Hawk - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo artist finds Robin Hoods Silver Arrow while magnet fishing in Sherwood Forest... - The Sun - May 4th, 2021
- Tattoo Peeling: What's Normal and How to Care for It in 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 4th, 2021
- LeBron James gets tattoo of 'the big 3' with Lakers return near - New York Post - May 4th, 2021
- 6 Fresh Nail Art Ideas From Around the World - Allure - May 4th, 2021
- Mothers Day Gift ideas with Jeremiah David Stroup - KOIN.com - May 4th, 2021
- Madonna Shows Off Results Of Second Ever Tattoo After Getting Inked On Instagram - HuffPost UK - May 4th, 2021
- This First-of-Its-Kind Temporary Tattoo Ink is Made to Fade - Freethink - April 19th, 2021
- Tattoo artist accused of spray painting businesses acquitted - KVRR - April 19th, 2021
- Anthony Audy, Vermont Tattoo Artist With Whimsical Style, Dies at 44 - The New York Times - April 19th, 2021
- Move over Kim K, SA tattoo artist Lew Williams is a global reality show star with stigmas to break - TimesLIVE - April 19th, 2021
- Donna Lombardi Of Black Ink Crew Talks Pausing On Tattooing, Being A Businesswoman And More - MadameNoire - April 19th, 2021
- Meet the tattoo artist who helps Vietnamese women healing from physical and emotional trauma - South China Morning Post - April 19th, 2021
- Things to Do Denver: Art Gallery Openings and Exhibits April 16 to 21, 2021 - Westword - April 19th, 2021
- No regrets? I tried the first ever made to fade tattoo - Dazed - April 19th, 2021
- Tattoo Aftercare Products Market Is Rising With COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Development, Forecast To 2021-2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 19th, 2021
- See how tattoo artwork has modified because the 18th century - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - April 4th, 2021
- See how tattoo art has changed since the 18th century - CNN - April 4th, 2021
- The human canvas: Young tattoo artist draws inspiration from the past: 'attack your dreams' - Pilot Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- 5 Best Tattoo Artists in Indianapolis - Kev's Best - April 4th, 2021
- 'Don't you have enough yet?': Justin Bieber's mom reacts to 'Peaches' singer's new neck tattoo - USA TODAY - April 4th, 2021
- Electric Tattoo: Love of art and 'forbidden fruit' drives Asbury Park studio - Asbury Park Press - April 4th, 2021
- 'Almost like a tsunami': How Wilmington tattoo shops are thriving during the pandemic - StarNewsOnline.com - April 4th, 2021
- ONE YEAR GONE | Welch is back in business at Town's End Tattoo - Port Townsend Leader - April 4th, 2021
- Blazing Trails: Women Who Left Their Marks on the Art World - Cheddar - April 4th, 2021
- 33 Celebrities Who Regret Their Tattoos - Women's Health - April 4th, 2021
- Screen Time at the Worlds First Physical NFT Gallery, Whatever That Means - Vulture - April 4th, 2021
- Martin County resident and pet tree frog garner national attention as the 2021 Cadbury Easter Bunny - TCPalm - April 4th, 2021
- Tattoo fan spends 8k on ink and body mods including eyeballs and split tongue - Daily Star - April 4th, 2021
- Get Inked At 12 Of Auckland's Best Tattoo Studios | Urban List NZ - The Urban List - April 4th, 2021
- A Guide to All of Drake's 35 Tattoos and Their Meanings - menshealth.com - March 8th, 2021
- Tattoo artist restores Stations of the Cross in Belarus - Catholic News Agency - March 8th, 2021
- Jason Terry shares how he got the Larry O'Brien trophy tattoo - Basketball Network - March 8th, 2021
- How Alisha Gory Moved to the US On Her Own and Established Herself as a Famous Tattoo Artist - Daily Front Row - March 8th, 2021
- Who is Elle Kings husband? Know everything about the tattoo artist - Republic TV - March 8th, 2021
- Local Tattoo shop is seeing business boom amid the pandemic - WTHITV.com - March 8th, 2021
- Shogun's Joy of Torture not for Weak Hearts - Critical Blast - March 8th, 2021