Don't Ink Your Mug Without Reading This First
The AskMen editorial team thoroughly researches & reviews the best gear, services and staples for life. AskMen may get paid if you click a link in this article and buy a product or service.
Product photos from retailer site.
Artistic expression comes in many forms. We may choose to do something as simple as wearing floral-print socks or as drastic as dying our hair teal, but there is, perhaps, no more permanent display of personal aesthetic than getting a tattoo.
RELATED: Best Tattoo Creams and Lotions
Despite once being considered taboo or rebellious, the popularity of tattoos has only been on the rise. In fact, nearly 30 percent of the countrys population is said to be inked. Thats a whole lot of red hearts with the word mom etched in them.
While some may opt for a tiny (and clichd, sorry) Chinese character or an entire sleeve, one extreme iteration that has garnered recent attention is face tattoos. And no, you dont have to go to Aaron Carter or Post Malone lengths to rock one.
We chatted with N.Y.C. tattoo artist Ariel Wei (whose minimalist tattoos are all the rage!) of Blindreason Tattoo to get her take on the trend and what interested customers should keep in mind before locking in that appointment date.
AskMen: Why do you think there has been a rise in face tattoo popularity?
Ariel Wei: There are celebrities who have them, so people saw them and they became a bit more normalized. Also, the stigma behind tattoos has slowly been fading. People who work in office spaces and companies seem to get tattoos, in general, more than before. I think face tattoos were infamous for being prison or gang-related, but nowwith the various styles of tattooing it has become more approachable to the public.
AM: Do you have to treat the skin differently if a tattoo is going on the face?
AW: Yes, the skin varies and it also depends on the person. Some people have thinner skin and some have thicker. The skin on the face is usually more sensitive than other parts of the body. I need to be extra careful and also go lighter [with the needle].
AM: How badly do face tattoos hurt compared to the rest of the body?
AW: Pain always depends on a number of things like the style of the tattoo, the clients tolerance, etc. Because I do fine-line tattoos, I can only speak for my clients who usually say that the tattoo process doesnt hurt as much as they thought, or that it doesnt even hurt at all. Bolder and darker tattoos definitely hurt more. It can also depend on how heavy-heaved the artist may be.
AM: What are the best types of designs and spots for a face tattoo?
AW: Its hard to say a type of design, just because everyone has a different style and look they go for. A smaller, delicate tattoo (something not so crazy in detail) is what Id recommend for first-timers so that it doesnt overwhelm you. You know never if youd like to remove it one day.
When it comes to placement, I personally like the sideburn area or the side of the forehead, where the hairline starts. The area above the eyebrow and the upper cheek is cool, too.
AM: How much do face tattoos typically cost?
AW: Pricing always depends on the artist. I cant speak for everyone, so Ill just say that for me, areas that are more difficult to tattoo and require a specific skill set to achieve, usually cost more.
AM: What should people keep in mind before deciding to get a face tattoo?
AW: Any tattoo is permanent. I highly recommend thinking about the idea and all the factors that may affect you before committing to a face tattoo. A face tattoo, in particular, changes your appearance because you cant really hide it. You dont have to care about other people [or what they think], but giving it a second thought wont hurt you. The stigma around tattoos is changing, but there are people who will still judge you by your appearance.
Should you choose to partake in a face tattoo (or any tattoo, for that matter), nothing is more important than proper aftercare (i.e. cleaning the wound and keeping it moisturized). Depending on the size and body part, you may also have different preferences when it comes to soaps, balms, and creams, but here are three tried-and-true products that should essentially work for everyone during the healing process.
Youre going to need to keep your tattooed area free of any microbes or bacteria that can lead to a nasty infection. Tattoo Goo is equal parts fun to say and effective, making it an industry leader for years. Its pH balance is also slightly acidic to help buffer the skin while providing its protective qualities.
Promising Review: I have been working on a sleeve. The first part of the tattoo I got I did not have Tattoo Goo. The second session I used Tattoo Goo for keeping my tattoo clean and I feel like it helped cut down the healing time. I used the soap in conjunction with Tattoo Goo Salve for moisturizing. The soap and salve have a very natural scent to them. I liked that. I will continue to buy and use on future tattoos. - Nichole
$6.99 on Amazon
Most tattoo artists are going to recommend the popular ointment as a way to keep the area moisturized and open to the flow of oxygen. Once your tattoo scabs and heals, you can also keep this tube to treat most of your most pressing skin care needs during dry winters.
Promising Review: Perfect for tattoos. Didnt see anyone mention this, but Ive used this brand for all of my tats. Definitely recommend. - Austin
$7.19 on Amazon
If balms are more your vibe, this highly-rated blend of all-natural ingredients like grapeseed oil, shea butter, and chamomile extract is perfect for before, during, and after the tattoo process. It also smells great,
Promising Review: I've never had a tattoo heal as quickly before! The balm isn't greasy and doesn't leave a film when you apply it. The day after I got my most recent tattoo, I applied it about ever 4 hours and the second day I applied it twice. I applied it intermittently for the next couple of days and my tattoo hasn't even scabbed over; it's mostly just dry and smooth. - BattleD4D
$9.88 on Amazon
Tattoos are an extremely personal decision, though the results dont always come out as anticipated. Through laser or surgical removal and/or dermabrasion treatments, you can effectively get rid of the art that was once dear to your heart, but it doesnt come without consequences. Tattoo removal is notoriously expensive and painful and may require multiple sessions to achieve a desired outcome. Its important for you to research tattoo artists, their specialties, and what you hope to accomplish before sitting in the chair.
You Might Also Dig:
Here is the original post:
- Meet the artist etching memorial tattoos for people who lost loved ones to COVID-19 - Los Angeles Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Mastering the needle: From the dark side to Buddhism and beyond - Otago Daily Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Boulders TGTHR formerly Attention Homes aims to end cycle of youth homelessness - The Denver Post - November 23rd, 2021
- Hafthor Bjornsson in Scotland for training camp as Eddie Hall shows off explosive power and tells Thor... - talkSPORT.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Before getting them, think of how you'll feel about those tattoos when you're 40 or 60 - Paris Post Intelligencer - November 23rd, 2021
- Iconic street artist Big Sleeps and Ford came together to create a cultural twist for ComplexCon - Rolling Out - November 23rd, 2021
- Down the rabbit hole - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - November 23rd, 2021
- 'The Curse of Von Dutch': Who Are Bobby Vaughn, Mike Cassel, Ed Boswell, and Tonny Srensen? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2021
- 10 To Follow: Amazing Tattoo Artists On Instagram For Inspiration On Your Next Ink - AUGUSTMAN - November 9th, 2021
- Christina Haack Reveals She's Getting 'New Ink' on Her Wrist From Celebrity Tattoo Artist - PEOPLE - November 9th, 2021
- 'More than skin deep': The sacred art of handpoke tattoo with Stephanie Big Eagle - WTHR - November 9th, 2021
- The Future of Fashion Is Wearing Iconic Chairs From the Past - Architectural Digest - November 9th, 2021
- Home-based projects are part of an artful journey - The Recorder - November 9th, 2021
- Im Working More With White Flesh and Toxicity: Watch Artist Doreen Garner Explain Why She Embraced a New Approach After 2020 - artnet News - November 9th, 2021
- So you ask the tattoo artist for Jesus and you get James Harden with a crown of thorns - Deadspin - November 9th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - October 29th, 2021
- Tattoo Artist | Requirements | Salary | Jobs || The Art ... - October 29th, 2021
- 2021 Tattoo Prices | Average Tattoo Costs (by Size & Examples) - October 29th, 2021
- Scott Campbell (tattoo artist) - Wikipedia - October 29th, 2021
- Riverhead's Vibes Ink brings tattoo artistry to the North Fork - Northforker - October 29th, 2021
- Tattoo artist horrified after seeing portrait of mans girlfriend then meeting the woman whos been sin... - The US Sun - October 29th, 2021
- Destination Ink: Six of the Best Tattoo Artists From Around the Globe - GQ Magazine - October 29th, 2021
- West Allis tattoo artist gives renewed confidence, hope and healing to breast cancer survivors - WTMJ - October 29th, 2021
- Emerging Gear Halloween Edition: Frankenstein Trainers, Mummy Bag, 'Socktober,' and More | 2021-10-28 - GearJunkie - October 29th, 2021
- Tattoo Designs - Tattoo.com - October 17th, 2021
- Emailing A Tattoo Artist: 7 Important Details To Send ... - October 17th, 2021
- Tattoo artist shares common inkings that clients 'will be left regretting' - The Mirror - October 17th, 2021
- At this plant-filled Denver tattoo shop, every artist is either a woman or non-binary - The Denver Post - October 17th, 2021
- Angus tattoo artist guilty of devastating assault - The Courier - October 17th, 2021
- Dwayne Johnson's Biggest Tattoo Is Also the Most Meaningful - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 17th, 2021
- Tony Fitzpatrick returns to College of DuPage for one last museum show, but 'it's not the end of anything' - Daily Herald - October 17th, 2021
- If This 2016 Rotherham Buttock Tattoo Story Doesn't Make You Cry... - 2oceansvibe News - October 17th, 2021
- Flushing Town Hall's Art Gallery Reopens to the Public with 'Communicating Beyond Words' - Western Queens Gazette - October 17th, 2021
- People Keep Getting QR Codes Tattooed on Their Body - VICE - October 17th, 2021
- October art exhibitions, events, pop-ups and shows in L.A. - Los Angeles Times - October 17th, 2021
- Business is Buzzing at Kat's Piercings and Tattoos in Edgecomb - The Lincoln County News - October 5th, 2021
- Meet Stacie-Rae Weir, the Breast Cancer Tattoo Artist and Teacher - InStyle - October 5th, 2021
- Euphoria Tattoos, artist using permanent ink to help people share a part of themselves with the world - WTXL ABC 27 - October 5th, 2021
- West Park Style and Ink turns scissors on red ribbon in Avon Lake - cleveland.com - October 5th, 2021
- Truth and reconciliation should be about actions not vacations: Steveston tattoo artist - Richmond News - October 5th, 2021
- Isle of Wight fundraising event to support the Mastectomy Tattooing Alliance - On The Wight - October 5th, 2021
- I was young, dumb and got a tattoo of my ex's name. My current guy can't seem to get over it. - Anchorage Daily News - October 5th, 2021
- Remember the dead alligator in the pink dumpster? Now it's a tattoo - KTBS - October 5th, 2021
- Objects 'fly across room' of haunted Chichester shop - Chichester Observer - October 5th, 2021
- How Lip Blushing Can Alter the Look of Your Lips - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 5th, 2021
- Mayor Bowser Presents the 36th Annual Mayor's Arts Awards, Celebrating Washington, DC's Artistic and Creative Communities | mayormb - Executive Office... - October 5th, 2021
- Find the best Seattle hotel for your next vacation (or staycation) - USA Today 10Best - October 5th, 2021
- Flushing Town Hall's Art Gallery Reopens To The Public This October With New Exhibition, 'Communicating Beyond Words' - Broadway World - October 5th, 2021
- Dublin tattoo artist reveals worrying portrait someone had done - Q102 - September 1st, 2021
- Pandemic Woes and a YOLO Mentality Have Ignited a Boom Time for Tattoo Artists - TIME - September 1st, 2021
- Jake Paul will have tattoo artist on location for bet with Tyron Woodley - WKYC.com - September 1st, 2021
- Love Islands Dale shows off new butterfly neck inking from tattoo artist Abi... - The Scottish Sun - September 1st, 2021
- Mad Mike Ink Adds the Astanza Duality to Offer Laser Tattoo Removal and Tattoo Modification in Flushing, New York - Yahoo Finance - September 1st, 2021
- Erie tattoo artists reflect on business during COVID-19. Here's how they're moving forward - GoErie.com - September 1st, 2021
- Bodies of Art: 4th tattoo expo brings artists, clients to Paris - Paris News - September 1st, 2021
- A new artist studio and tattoo shop coming to the Village of West Greenville | GVLtoday - AVLtoday - September 1st, 2021
- The Beautiful Reason Guy Fieri Was Brought To Tears Before Getting This Special New Tattoo - Mashed - September 1st, 2021
- Former Raptor Danny Green's new tattoo shows he is still madly in love with Toronto - blogTO - September 1st, 2021
- Demi Lovato inks large 'love' tattoo on their hand - Page Six - September 1st, 2021
- Plano native finds meaning, career through art community in Tyler - Tyler Morning Telegraph - September 1st, 2021
- Artists converge in Salt Lake City for Utah Arts Festival after year off - fox13now.com - September 1st, 2021
- Bucs fans head to local tattoo artist to commemorate Super Bowl 55 win - ABC Action News - August 20th, 2021
- Second Tattoo Artist Revealed in the Indian Motorcycle X No Regrets Collaboration - Motorcycle.com - August 20th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Has a New Tattoo, and Her Dad's One-Word Reaction Is Making Us LOL - POPSUGAR - August 20th, 2021
- Manny Pacquiao protege Mark Magsayo wants to be the next great Filipino fighter - ESPN - August 20th, 2021
- Roman Reigns Still Aims to Be a Source of Inspiration, Even After Turning Heel - Sports Illustrated - August 20th, 2021
- I thought my Little Mermaid tattoo was going to kill me after infection burst through ink... - The Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Up Close and On the Ground With Canada's Intrepid Tree Planters - Atlas Obscura - August 20th, 2021
- Teen Mom Briana DeJesus confirms split from fiance Javi Gonzalez & reveals reason why just two months... - The US Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Jake Paul vs. Tyron Woodley: Start Times, Perspectives, Fighting Rules, and Everything You Need to Know - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 20th, 2021
- Michigan's tattoo parlor sexual assault problem and the activists intervening - People's World - August 6th, 2021
- Fish Ladder Tattoo Company, Eclectic Tattoo cut ties with artists after allegations of misconduct - WSYM-TV - August 6th, 2021
- Gordon Ramsay reacts to super fan who got his face tattooed on her arm in hilarious viral video - Scottish Daily Record - August 6th, 2021
- Photos: Some tattoo shops see increased business during the pandemic - STLtoday.com - August 6th, 2021
- Stratford tattoo studio, art gallery moving to a new location - CTPost - August 6th, 2021
- Everything you need to know on the Nas Daily debacle - Yahoo Philippines News - August 6th, 2021
- Photos: DC Residents Show Off Their Pandemic Tattoos - Washingtonian - August 6th, 2021
- BLK + BRWN debuts KC's first smart bookstore with a twist: 'I wanted to be as Black as possible' - Startland News - August 6th, 2021
- What Are Hand Poked Tattoos And Should You Get One? - Man's World India - August 6th, 2021
- Briana DeJesus' Fiance Accused of Being 'Bizarre' - Heavy.com - August 6th, 2021