Photos by 90thshooter.
Every hot, sticky summer demands an equally exhilarating anthem. Enter Rauw Alejandro, summer 2k21s breakout Puerto Rican reggaeton star. With Todo de Ti, an infectious pop-disco-reggaeton hybrid that has raked in more than 207 million audio and video streams, Alejandro has positioned himself to take the dance floor by storm all year round. The single, one of many move-your-body bangers off of his sophomore album Vice Versa (out now), signals Alejandros mastery of the music industrys holy trinity, blending early aughts reggaeton beats with self-aware lyrics and Tik Tok-worthy dance routines. At 28-year-old, the artist has already collaborated with some of the biggest stars of the moment, fromFarruko to Selena Gomez. Yesterday, he was featured on Jennifer Lopezs new song Cambia El Paso, an empowering nightclub track that already feels like a classic. Before Alejandro kicks off his world tour, the artist took a moment to answer a few questions for us about his love of blurring musical boundaries, his steady rise through the industrys ranks, and his dream date (it is, of course, J. Lo.).
ERNESTO MACIAS: Tell me about your album ViceVersa, what was the inspiration behind the album and that name?
RAUW ALEJANDRO: I like to be inspired by my lifes situations, I also get inspired by other peoples situations. Im always navigating feelings and emotions. Also, the girls, for sure. Musically, ViceVersa is an album that has so many types of music. Its not an album of reggaeton, its a mix of cultures, you can find Afro, you can find house music, you can find disco, 80sthis is an amazing album. I did it for the summer. Its just a rollercoaster of emotions, some days you feel this type of way, then the next day, you feel different. Its a new Alejandro. Im hoping that the fans love it, I put all my heart in it.
MACIAS: Todo de Ti is everywhere. Did you expect it to have this big of an impact?
ALEJANDRO: To be honest, I didnt. When it became the number two song in the world, I was like, What? USA, Europe, Asia, around the world, and you see that youre in competition with all of these big artists, you say Whats going on? But its amazing. I feel blessed, I feel happy.
MACIAS: I want to ask you about the song you allegedly sampleda very big songon Todo De Ti, can you tell me about that?
ALEJANDRO: Its funny that youre the first guy that put that topic in an interview. Im gonna be honest with you, we never talked about Fergie. I swear to God, we never talked about it. But musically? You got 12 notes so it can happen, but thats it. It was funny because there are so many songs that start that way, like Bruno Mars Lucked Out of Heaven. Music is music and Todo De Ti is totally different. That can happen, but theres no sample in it.
MACIAS: What did you have for breakfast?
ALEJANDRO: Bro I love the classic American breakfast. Scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes, waffles, cornflakes, oatmeal. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.
MACIAS: How were you discovered?
ALEJANDRO: Im not an artist that went from zero to 100. I was zero to 10, to 20, to 30, and every year was better than the last one. I covered all the steps. I started collaborating with artists at the same level. Then I jumped into the other one, starting to collaborate with people like Nicky Jam in 2018. Then Chencho Corleone with El Efecto. Then Farruko with Fanstasa. My first huge single was Tattoo and it was amazing, then I did the remix with Camilo and that was crazy too. This year we did a collaboration with Selena Gomez. Every year we got a better version of Alejandro.
MACIAS: Do you dream?
ALEJANDRO: When Im sleeping I dont remember any of my dreams because Im a deep sleeper I fall on my bed, and the next day I dont remember anything. But I have big dreams. I wanna do albums, I wanna win Grammys, I want to represent my island, Puerto Rico. Just have a legacy when I die, so that people remember me and hear my music.
MACIAS: Is there anything you regret not doing?
ALEJANDRO: Kissing that girl, that time, that day [Laughs]. I dont know man. My mom raised me good, teaching me all the time to never to be afraid of trying. It doesnt matter if it works or not. For example, I used to play soccer and I tried with all my heart. Sometimes you know you need to make decisions where you dont know whats going to happen. Thats life, you learn from mistakes. I think that needs to happen to all of us, todos nosotros.
MACIAS: When do you get nervous?
ALEJANDRO: 15 minutes before the stage. I get so anxious and nervous. But once I touch the stage it disappears. When I fly too. I dont like flying.
MACIAS: What do you do to calm down before a flight?
ALEJANDRO: I take a pill to go to sleep. I sleep like a baby. When I have short flights its hell because I cant go to sleep because then youre going to be sleeping the whole day, so I put classical music on. I just pray the whole way.
MACIAS: Whats your favorite movie?
ALEJANDRO: Im always watching movies. I dont get too attached. I love The Lion King, Scarface, Carlitos Way, and Mission Impossible.
MACIAS: Whos your dream date?
ALEJANDRO: My dream date. I think J. Lo, but we have a song together [Laughs]. I got a list, a big list.
MACIAS: Whats the craziest thing a fan has ever sent you?
ALEJANDRO: A box full of girls underwear. I dont know the girl. I put it in the laundry right away. Fans are crazy, man, but I was a fan once too. I did dumb stuff when I was young.
MACIAS: Its part of the game.
ALEJANDRO: I saw a girl that had a tattoo of my logo on her butt and all this stuff. She came to my concert and showed me.
MACIAS: Are you ever going to get used to that? Does it become normal?
ALEJANDRO: I dont know man, its so spontaneous that you never know what to expect. You always see different kinds of crazy stuff in every city.
MACIAS: What do you think about love?
ALEJANDRO: I think love is the most important thing in life. Im a big fan of team love. I promote love. Like I said, my mama raised me good. Love en el mundo, all over the world, bro. It can be friendship, romantic, anything. Its the most important thing.
MACIAS: Do you get eight hours of sleep every day?
ALEJANDRO: Nope. Four, five.
MACIAS: And how do you keep going?
ALEJANDRO: Sometimes I just take a day off to sleep for like 12 or 14 hours before going nonstop for another two weeks. Thats my routine.
MACIAS: What are you most proud of?
ALEJANDRO: Sometimes I just go to the mirror and start talking to myself. I say, Im proud of you, youre working hard. Theres a spirit inside me, something that moves me. Im proud to be able to help my family, to work with my brothers and my homies from school, to have a big team and employ people, all of that. For me, being able to give happiness to people is my biggest goal in life.
MACIAS: What do you like to do when youre not working?
ALEJANDRO: Train my dog. Chill at home, watch some Netflix. Have some beer, go to the beach. I do so many things. I do sports, I do mixed martial arts. And I go to parties all the time. I try to be active and just enjoy life. Man, life is too short.
MACIAS: Always a good thing to remember. Do you believe in the American Dream?
ALEJANDRO: The American Dream. What is the American Dream? To retire young? Or to be rich? For me, my American Dream is to be able to support my family and not depend on the government. To do what you love in life, to be free, and help other people.
MACIAS: Vice Versa is coming out soon, youre going on tour, what else is next for you?
ALEJANDRO: I got my first show at Coliseo de Puerto Rico in October, so Im really happy to be able to perform in my city. For reggaeton culture, thats the most important stadium. Im nervous but so excited and ready. I cant stop thinking about it. Its gonna be awesome.
- 'Black Ink Crew: Chicago': What caused the fallout between Charmaine and Prince? - MEAWW - November 23rd, 2021
- The Sex Lives of College Girls review Mindy Kalings uneven comedy has promise - The Guardian - November 23rd, 2021
- My ex got my name tattooed on his chest to propose to me after 2 WEEKS when I said no, he said it was f... - The US Sun - October 29th, 2021
- Love Island's Liam Reardon gets huge tattoo of idol Sir Tom Jones - Key 103 - October 29th, 2021
- What its really like to be a Hooters Girl: Men think they can treat you a certain way - The Independent - October 29th, 2021
- The Rolling Stones Last Great Album, Tattoo You, Adds Bonus Tracks and Full Concert in 40th Anniversary Edition: Album Review - Variety - October 29th, 2021
- 100+ Sexy Tattoo Ideas for Women - Sexiest Tattoos for Girls - October 17th, 2021
- Emo Punk Gothic Girls - Punk Rock, Tattoo, Goth, and Emo ... - October 17th, 2021
- Here's Where the Cast from The Social Network Is Today - MovieWeb - October 17th, 2021
- Richard Reiss | Reiss' Pieces: Tattoos and gardens marking the time in lines on our skin and soil - Berkshire Eagle - October 17th, 2021
- Album of the Week: Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes celebrate their sins on 'Sticky' - Far Out Magazine - October 17th, 2021
- Jua Cali's Wife Lily Shows Off Tattoo of Hubby's Name on Her Back Tuko.co.ke - Tuko.co.ke - October 17th, 2021
- Torn jeans, tattoos and parental taboos J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - October 5th, 2021
- US-Mexico border closure turned busy streets into ghost town - Business Insider - September 1st, 2021
- History Of Tattoo. The Time Of The Appearance Of The First Tattoos. - The Seeker Newsmagazine Cornwall - The Seeker - August 20th, 2021
- Australian Baroques Space Music blends historical composition and astronomical images at the Girls School - The West Australian - August 6th, 2021
- Abi Rawlings: Who is the Love Island 2021 star? - The Independent - August 6th, 2021
- The Unending Allure Of the Tattoo Boyfriend and the Pretty Girlfriend - Jezebel - July 8th, 2021
- Love Island hunk to wow girls in villa by showing them tattoo of his MUM... - The Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Brooke Shields finds an unusual and very personal way to bond with her teenage daughter - Woman & Home - June 26th, 2021
- Katie Prices fiance Carl Woods trolled over new tattoo of her with fans saying it looks like her rival J... - The Irish Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Tokyo Tattoo Girls on Steam - June 9th, 2021
- Blueface Responds to Video of Women Getting Tattoos, in Bunk Beds - XXL - XXLMAG.COM - May 4th, 2021
- Grandpa wants to bribe girls not to get a tattoo - The Boston Globe - May 4th, 2021
- Heres The Full Story Behind That Viral TikTok Of A Girl Getting Upskirted At A Syd Tattoo Shop - Pedestrian TV - April 19th, 2021
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020