This week, a friend of mine tweeted, Why do so many celebrity women date men who look like a pub toilet wall? He was responding to a paparazzi photo of Kourtney Kardashian and Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker, Kardashian grasping Barkers tattooed hand, attached to Barkers very tattooed arm, neck, chest, and face.
I bristled and went on the defense, not just because Blink-182 was a formative musical influence for me. It was because I came to the reluctant decision that I support this odd coupling of the celebrated punk musician and a member of one of the most famous and reviled families on the planet.
At first, the pairing was easy enough to brush off as another Kardashian attention-seeking stunt, a way to distract us from the fact that Kourtneys 38-year-old ex-husband Scott Disick is busy shacking up with a woman who just turned 20. Maybe it still is. But several things can be true at once: The Kardashians know how to get people talking, Barker loves a glamour girl, social media is as highly manufactured as celebrity couplings, and...and... Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker are an oddly endearing couple.
She likes riding with the top down, reads one Instagram post by Barker, accompanied by a set of photos of him and the eldest Kardashian sister. They posed with a black car that indeed had the top down, both their all-black-everything outfits finishing off a portrait of edgy, alternative bliss. This was what won me over.
But while I may have thought the pub toilet wall slight was rude, my cynical friend had a point: The Tattooed Dude and pretty celebrity girlfriend coupling is having a moment. Just take a look at Barkers emo-rap buddy Machine Gun Kelly, who has been dating actor Megan Fox. They were a prime example of this dynamic before Barker and Kardashian hit the scene and theyre already reaching iconic couple status, from their red carpet hijinx and rooftop escapades to their Instagram photos that elicit a deluge of heart and flame emojis from fans.
As tattoos become increasingly mainstream, its important to note that theres a difference between a Tattoo Boyfriend and a boyfriend who has tattoos. For the Tattoo Boyfriend, the tattoos are part of his overall persona and hes inseparable from them. Hes not necessarily a stereotypical bad boy, nor a dirtbag, but it certainly doesnt hurt. Meanwhile, the Pretty Girlfriend is, well, classically pretty, maybe even a sex symbol or bombshell in her own right. Its common for her to be more famous than her Tattoo Boyfriend as well, and she delights being seen on his arm, eliciting some comments of Wait, him? along the way.
Justin Bieber is a boyfriendor rather, husbandwho has tattoos, but he is not a Tattoo Boyfriend; sorry, Hailey. Same with Ben Affleck. Pete Davidson, meanwhile, is a Tattoo Boyfriend, and he once dated Pretty Girlfriend, Ariana Grande.
Another example of this trope can be seen in rappers Lil Uzi Vert and JT of City Girls. At first, the two were a bit of an odd couple: The small-statured Uzi, defined by his plethora of tattoos and the $24 million diamond that was implanted in his forehead alongside a rising queen in hip hop, an undeniable beauty who was absolutely right when she rapped, All these n***as wanna fuck JT. And the two appear to be absolutely smitten with each other, with JT casually talking about the pleasant mundanities of life with Uzi while Uzi is photographed while nuzzling on JT like a newborn.
This dynamic has ebbed and flowed in the celebrity world for the last 30 years. In the 2000s, Disney Channel starlets Hilary Duff and Brenda Song dated Good Charlottes Joel Madden and Metro Stations Trace Cyrus respectively. Neither couple lastedSong and Cyruss coupling ending on a particularly chaotic tenor of passive-aggressive social media messages and fake pregnancy rumorsbut their legacy retains a strong grip, particularly as aughts nostalgia hits a fever pitch.
I reached out to Matt James of Pop Culture Died In 2009 for some added context to this phenomenon.
For girls like [Duff and Song] its the perfect amount of danger, in that its not really dangerous at all, but looks it, James told Jezebel.
He continued: And looks are all that matter. For a well-off, Texas-born Disney Channel star like Hilary Duff, the tattooed pop-rocker from Maryland probably seemed like a walk on the wild side. She delighted in telling Elle magazine at the time that Maddens hometown was pretty ghettoand then backtracked as fast as it hit Perez [Hilton].
James believes Duff and Song may have easily been swept up in the idea that they were dating tortured artists, and that their pairings gave them an illusion of depth.
But maybe its simpler than that.
Christina Ramos, a Los Angeles-based tattoo artist, said that she believes the appeal of the Tattooed Boyfriend is pretty clear cut.
Objectively speaking, opposites attract dont they? Ramos said. Polarity in whatever form seems to bring people together, whether it is character or appearance. But that is just a human thing.
But thered be no Tattoo Boyfriend/Pretty Girlfriend dynamic without Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee, arguably one of the predecessors of this dynamic in the celebrity space. The former actress and model and Motley Crue drummer are on the verge of their own moment of nostalgia now that Lily James and Sebastian Stan are filming a movie about the couple, and theyre routinely compared to Machine Gun Kelly and Megan Fox.
When pop culture nostalgia Instagram account, @velvetcoke, posted a photo of Anderson and Lee a few weeks ago, one of the top comments read I feel like this is Megan and MGK vibes. Others fawned over how hot they were, or reminisced about their legendarily invasive sex tape. But many also noted that their dynamic was deeply toxic and abusiveLee spent six months in jail on a spousal abuse charge after allegedly kicking Anderson while she was holding their son. She was left bruised and fearful, and while they briefly reunited after his release from jail, they broke up for good in 2001 after a six-year relationship.
But the aesthetics aloneLee with his tattoos and nipple piercing, blonde bombshell Andersonwere enough to elicit comparison.
The proliferation of nostalgia accounts on platforms like Instagram and Twitter is a silent factor in this, bizarrely enough, and has spawned a generation of celebrity cosplayers, noted James. Now, the couples were talking about here are a bit too old to necessarily be taking their cues from TwitterKardashian and her worsening case of arrested development asidebut their fans are definitely young enough to be influenced.
You look at some of these couplings nowKourtney and Travis, Megan Fox and Machine Gun Kellyits pretty much people who are too old to play dress-up, playing dress-up, living out some sort of diet Tawny Kitaen fantasy at red carpet events where theyre sandwiched between TikTok teens and a Jonas brother, said James, referring to Kitaens career as a heavy metal video vixen in the 80s. Its embarrassing from afar, but cool under the narrow and easily manipulated lens of Instagram.
(Kitaen was charged with domestic violence in 2002 after she attacked her then-husband Chuck Finley, a reminder that this legacy, as with Anderson and Lee, can have uglier undertones.)
The allure of the stereotypical bad boy and the good girl has a hold, and theres something endearingso Danny and Sandy, so Leader of the Pack, and so glaringly genderedabout seeing a put-together woman alongside a dude who looks like he just crawled out of a sweaty, beer-soaked mosh pit at the scuzziest metal venue in town. Kardashian and Barker, as well as their other contemporaries, evoke a kind of sappy universal fantasy of the good girl who wants a bad boy. Its a baddie Cinderella story for those who dont want the clean-cut prince with perfectly coifed hair, for those who kind of wished Avril Lavignes Sk8r Boi had an alternate ending. He was a punk, she did ballet, and now theyre taking mirror selfies together and posting them on Instagram.
- 'Black Ink Crew: Chicago': What caused the fallout between Charmaine and Prince? - MEAWW - November 23rd, 2021
- The Sex Lives of College Girls review Mindy Kalings uneven comedy has promise - The Guardian - November 23rd, 2021
- My ex got my name tattooed on his chest to propose to me after 2 WEEKS when I said no, he said it was f... - The US Sun - October 29th, 2021
- Love Island's Liam Reardon gets huge tattoo of idol Sir Tom Jones - Key 103 - October 29th, 2021
- What its really like to be a Hooters Girl: Men think they can treat you a certain way - The Independent - October 29th, 2021
- The Rolling Stones Last Great Album, Tattoo You, Adds Bonus Tracks and Full Concert in 40th Anniversary Edition: Album Review - Variety - October 29th, 2021
- 100+ Sexy Tattoo Ideas for Women - Sexiest Tattoos for Girls - October 17th, 2021
- Emo Punk Gothic Girls - Punk Rock, Tattoo, Goth, and Emo ... - October 17th, 2021
- Here's Where the Cast from The Social Network Is Today - MovieWeb - October 17th, 2021
- Richard Reiss | Reiss' Pieces: Tattoos and gardens marking the time in lines on our skin and soil - Berkshire Eagle - October 17th, 2021
- Album of the Week: Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes celebrate their sins on 'Sticky' - Far Out Magazine - October 17th, 2021
- Jua Cali's Wife Lily Shows Off Tattoo of Hubby's Name on Her Back Tuko.co.ke - Tuko.co.ke - October 17th, 2021
- Torn jeans, tattoos and parental taboos J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - October 5th, 2021
- US-Mexico border closure turned busy streets into ghost town - Business Insider - September 1st, 2021
- History Of Tattoo. The Time Of The Appearance Of The First Tattoos. - The Seeker Newsmagazine Cornwall - The Seeker - August 20th, 2021
- Australian Baroques Space Music blends historical composition and astronomical images at the Girls School - The West Australian - August 6th, 2021
- Abi Rawlings: Who is the Love Island 2021 star? - The Independent - August 6th, 2021
- Rauw Alejandro, Like the Rest of Us, Has A Big Crush on J.Lo - Interview - July 8th, 2021
- Love Island hunk to wow girls in villa by showing them tattoo of his MUM... - The Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Brooke Shields finds an unusual and very personal way to bond with her teenage daughter - Woman & Home - June 26th, 2021
- Katie Prices fiance Carl Woods trolled over new tattoo of her with fans saying it looks like her rival J... - The Irish Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Tokyo Tattoo Girls on Steam - June 9th, 2021
- Blueface Responds to Video of Women Getting Tattoos, in Bunk Beds - XXL - XXLMAG.COM - May 4th, 2021
- Grandpa wants to bribe girls not to get a tattoo - The Boston Globe - May 4th, 2021
- Heres The Full Story Behind That Viral TikTok Of A Girl Getting Upskirted At A Syd Tattoo Shop - Pedestrian TV - April 19th, 2021
- Ruby Rose on gender, bullying and breaking free: I had a problem with authority - The Guardian - April 4th, 2021
- Traditional Croatian Tattoos: Meet the tattoo artist keeping tradition alive - Croatia Week - March 8th, 2021
- David and Victoria Beckham Have a Matching Hebrew Tattoo Here's What It Means - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 8th, 2021
- Exotic Body Works celebrates 25th anniversary - Hammonton Gazette - February 14th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik now have matching tattoos in honour of their daughter Emirates Woman - Emirates Woman - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Irish Sun - February 11th, 2021
- I was fired 30 mins into my dream job because of my tattoos my family hate them & people shout abuse but I w - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Have Finger Tattoos | TheThings - TheThings - February 7th, 2021
- Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Is Making Waves Get To Know The Rising Model In 5 Snaps - OK! - February 4th, 2021
- Problems with girls and the Troubles with men - The Irish Times - February 4th, 2021
- New Movies to Watch This Week: Supernova, The Little Things, Palmer - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Cops investigated kidnappings, extortions, teen runaways across California. Victims all ended up at same motel, forced into sex trafficking, feds say... - January 27th, 2021
- 'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Episode 2 - WTTW News - January 25th, 2021
- The tattoo on her arm said it all: Grace Orzechowski was a fighter - Concord Monitor - January 20th, 2021
- Modern, Edgy And Bold: Different Bob Cuts For Girls To Try - Femina - January 15th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 15th, 2021
- KVD Vegan Beauty Announces Launch of Limited-Edition Tattoo Liner with Global Organization, Girl Up - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Sonakshi Sinha Paints The Town Yellow in an Embroidered Cape Set from the Shelves of Arpita Mehta Worth Rs 39 - India.com - January 12th, 2021
- Musician tattoo stories | Wild and funny tattoos - Alternative Press - January 12th, 2021
- 40+ YA Book Cover Artists and Designers to Follow on Instagram - Book Riot - January 12th, 2021
- FIRST LOOK: Meet the contestants for new reality dating show The Cabins - FM104 - January 5th, 2021
- The Cabins cast: Meet all the contestants in the winter Love Island dating show - The Sun - January 5th, 2021
- What's New on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, and More in January 2021 - TV Guide - January 3rd, 2021
- Gothika Ending, Explained | Why Did Miranda See the Boy's Ghost? - The Cinemaholic - December 31st, 2020
- Tour Tales | Crowned YB shares untold stories of shooting Dave East around the world - REVOLT TV - December 31st, 2020
- An Interview with Gareth Johnson MP by Neve Wilson, Dartford Grammar School for Girls - This is Local London - December 31st, 2020
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in January 2021 - Fox News - December 28th, 2020
- Well At Least Some Positives for Women in 2020 - The Citizen - December 27th, 2020
- Jollof Couscous & Leather Jackets: Inside The Mind Of Enny - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- This is Justin Vernon from Bon Ivers favourite song of all time - Far Out Magazine - December 25th, 2020
- Family beg dad who disappeared after saying he was 'going away' to call this Christmas - Liverpool Echo - December 25th, 2020
- Shows like Black Widows that you may like; from Django Unchained to Gone Girl & more - Republic World - December 25th, 2020
- Michaela Garechts mother reacts to arrest of suspect in 1988 Hayward kidnapping of 9-year-old daughter - San Francisco Chronicle - December 25th, 2020
- The Interview Gift Guide That Gives Back - Interview - December 23rd, 2020
- 25 Feather Tattoos for Girls in 2020 NewShables - December 21st, 2020
- How sexy these tattoos on intimate body parts of women ... - December 21st, 2020
- How I Met Your Mother: 10 Worst First Dates The Characters Had - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Sabrina Carpenter's Got Her Very First Tattoo, and It's a Reference to Her "Lucky" Life - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - December 18th, 2020
- Whats New On Netflix In January: Night Stalker, History of Swear Words, Cobra Kai And More - BroBible - December 18th, 2020
- Roxanne First Shares Her Inspirations - Vanity Fair - December 16th, 2020
- So, What the Hell Folk Tales Is Taylor Swift Telling Now on evermore? - Vulture - December 12th, 2020
- The Work Diary of Mira Mariah, Tattoo and Girl Culture Expert - The New York Times - December 11th, 2020
- Strongest girl in the world: Meet the 7-year-old who can lift 80 kg - The Indian Express - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins divides opinion after tattooing one baby to help tell them apart - Heart - December 11th, 2020
- Three Oaks wants INKED to raise awareness - Toronto Star - December 11th, 2020
- [150+] Beautiful Wrist Tattoo Ideas ... - Tattoos for Girls - December 6th, 2020
- The girl with her own tattoos: the joy of homemade ink - The Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 35 Hand Tattoos for Women | Cute Tattoos For Girls On Hand - December 6th, 2020
- Emily Viti's son has MPS and the Framingham High volleyball coach is fighting to find a cure for the terminal disease - Milford Daily News - December 6th, 2020
- Mara and Dona: Argentine twins a living tribute to soccer great - Reuters - November 28th, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - Anchorage Daily News - November 23rd, 2020
- Environmental contest's winning displays and essays are on exhibit at Jeff Library - NOLA.com - November 18th, 2020
- Tiffany Calver: Living the dream | DJMag.com - DJ Mag - November 18th, 2020
- Blind date: 'We realised we have matching tattoos' - The Guardian - November 16th, 2020
- Tattooed twins from Germany (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020