People getting tattoos in all styles and sizes and on all body parts, tattoo and piercing artists, psychic readers, painters and other vendors and performers highlighted the 11th Annual Chicago Tattoo Arts Convention.
About 900 vendors, along with 1,500 local, national and international tattoo artists, came together for one of the largest events Chicago has seen since the beginning of the pandemic.
Chicagos Villain Arts Tattoo Convention was postponed several times and eventually canceled in 2020.
But from July 16-18 thousands of artists and tattoo fanatics were finally able to gather at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, 5555 N. River Road in Rosemont, for a weekend of tattooing, art, magic, performances and more.
Carl Murray, better known in the tattoo community as Doctor Carl Blasphemy, the host and master of ceremonies for the Chicago Tattoo Arts Convention, said people were more enthusiastic about coming to this years event after last years cancellation.
The convention also provided COVID-19 testing and the Johnson & Johnson vaccination.
We brought in the vaccinations the Johnson & Johnson, really because its a one and done, Murray said. We sat home for over a year not being able to do our jobs, so the more people get vaccinated, the more were going to have a better chance to do a trade show in the city.
Murray said face masks were required for those who are not vaccinated.
Joey Sherman, owner of Famous Street Tattoo Studio, 1365 N. La Fox St. in South Elgin, said all the artists look forward to the convention, as it gives them a reason to come together.
All the shops come together, say whats up, hang out; its a big event for everybody here, Sherman said. It gives us an opportunity to show our talent as artists, to the land that were on, brings more clientele for the shops around, and it generates more revenue for everybody.
Tattoo and piercing artist Randy Candy Pizza, a former Columbia fashion and stage makeup student, said he noticed the stimulus and unemployment checks given to United States citizens enabled more people to get tattoos.
A lot of those people are coming to us because now they have money to get that luxury item, Candy Pizza said.
Nina Flomp opened her own tattoo studio in Pilsen called Cry Baby Tattoo in September 2020. She said every day without wearing a face mask is still weird, but she is staying positive.
To have a convention this size with this many people and people coming in from all over the place to work and come together for the weekend, its really exciting, and I think its a really important milestone for the pandemic, Flomp said.
Here is the original post:
- Meet the artist etching memorial tattoos for people who lost loved ones to COVID-19 - Los Angeles Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Mastering the needle: From the dark side to Buddhism and beyond - Otago Daily Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Boulders TGTHR formerly Attention Homes aims to end cycle of youth homelessness - The Denver Post - November 23rd, 2021
- Hafthor Bjornsson in Scotland for training camp as Eddie Hall shows off explosive power and tells Thor... - talkSPORT.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Before getting them, think of how you'll feel about those tattoos when you're 40 or 60 - Paris Post Intelligencer - November 23rd, 2021
- Iconic street artist Big Sleeps and Ford came together to create a cultural twist for ComplexCon - Rolling Out - November 23rd, 2021
- Down the rabbit hole - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - November 23rd, 2021
- 'The Curse of Von Dutch': Who Are Bobby Vaughn, Mike Cassel, Ed Boswell, and Tonny Srensen? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2021
- 10 To Follow: Amazing Tattoo Artists On Instagram For Inspiration On Your Next Ink - AUGUSTMAN - November 9th, 2021
- Christina Haack Reveals She's Getting 'New Ink' on Her Wrist From Celebrity Tattoo Artist - PEOPLE - November 9th, 2021
- 'More than skin deep': The sacred art of handpoke tattoo with Stephanie Big Eagle - WTHR - November 9th, 2021
- The Future of Fashion Is Wearing Iconic Chairs From the Past - Architectural Digest - November 9th, 2021
- Home-based projects are part of an artful journey - The Recorder - November 9th, 2021
- Im Working More With White Flesh and Toxicity: Watch Artist Doreen Garner Explain Why She Embraced a New Approach After 2020 - artnet News - November 9th, 2021
- So you ask the tattoo artist for Jesus and you get James Harden with a crown of thorns - Deadspin - November 9th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - October 29th, 2021
- Tattoo Artist | Requirements | Salary | Jobs || The Art ... - October 29th, 2021
- 2021 Tattoo Prices | Average Tattoo Costs (by Size & Examples) - October 29th, 2021
- Scott Campbell (tattoo artist) - Wikipedia - October 29th, 2021
- Riverhead's Vibes Ink brings tattoo artistry to the North Fork - Northforker - October 29th, 2021
- Tattoo artist horrified after seeing portrait of mans girlfriend then meeting the woman whos been sin... - The US Sun - October 29th, 2021
- Destination Ink: Six of the Best Tattoo Artists From Around the Globe - GQ Magazine - October 29th, 2021
- West Allis tattoo artist gives renewed confidence, hope and healing to breast cancer survivors - WTMJ - October 29th, 2021
- Emerging Gear Halloween Edition: Frankenstein Trainers, Mummy Bag, 'Socktober,' and More | 2021-10-28 - GearJunkie - October 29th, 2021
- Tattoo Designs - Tattoo.com - October 17th, 2021
- Emailing A Tattoo Artist: 7 Important Details To Send ... - October 17th, 2021
- Tattoo artist shares common inkings that clients 'will be left regretting' - The Mirror - October 17th, 2021
- At this plant-filled Denver tattoo shop, every artist is either a woman or non-binary - The Denver Post - October 17th, 2021
- Angus tattoo artist guilty of devastating assault - The Courier - October 17th, 2021
- Dwayne Johnson's Biggest Tattoo Is Also the Most Meaningful - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 17th, 2021
- Tony Fitzpatrick returns to College of DuPage for one last museum show, but 'it's not the end of anything' - Daily Herald - October 17th, 2021
- If This 2016 Rotherham Buttock Tattoo Story Doesn't Make You Cry... - 2oceansvibe News - October 17th, 2021
- Flushing Town Hall's Art Gallery Reopens to the Public with 'Communicating Beyond Words' - Western Queens Gazette - October 17th, 2021
- People Keep Getting QR Codes Tattooed on Their Body - VICE - October 17th, 2021
- October art exhibitions, events, pop-ups and shows in L.A. - Los Angeles Times - October 17th, 2021
- Business is Buzzing at Kat's Piercings and Tattoos in Edgecomb - The Lincoln County News - October 5th, 2021
- Meet Stacie-Rae Weir, the Breast Cancer Tattoo Artist and Teacher - InStyle - October 5th, 2021
- Euphoria Tattoos, artist using permanent ink to help people share a part of themselves with the world - WTXL ABC 27 - October 5th, 2021
- West Park Style and Ink turns scissors on red ribbon in Avon Lake - cleveland.com - October 5th, 2021
- Truth and reconciliation should be about actions not vacations: Steveston tattoo artist - Richmond News - October 5th, 2021
- Isle of Wight fundraising event to support the Mastectomy Tattooing Alliance - On The Wight - October 5th, 2021
- I was young, dumb and got a tattoo of my ex's name. My current guy can't seem to get over it. - Anchorage Daily News - October 5th, 2021
- Remember the dead alligator in the pink dumpster? Now it's a tattoo - KTBS - October 5th, 2021
- Objects 'fly across room' of haunted Chichester shop - Chichester Observer - October 5th, 2021
- How Lip Blushing Can Alter the Look of Your Lips - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 5th, 2021
- Mayor Bowser Presents the 36th Annual Mayor's Arts Awards, Celebrating Washington, DC's Artistic and Creative Communities | mayormb - Executive Office... - October 5th, 2021
- Find the best Seattle hotel for your next vacation (or staycation) - USA Today 10Best - October 5th, 2021
- Flushing Town Hall's Art Gallery Reopens To The Public This October With New Exhibition, 'Communicating Beyond Words' - Broadway World - October 5th, 2021
- Dublin tattoo artist reveals worrying portrait someone had done - Q102 - September 1st, 2021
- Pandemic Woes and a YOLO Mentality Have Ignited a Boom Time for Tattoo Artists - TIME - September 1st, 2021
- Jake Paul will have tattoo artist on location for bet with Tyron Woodley - WKYC.com - September 1st, 2021
- Love Islands Dale shows off new butterfly neck inking from tattoo artist Abi... - The Scottish Sun - September 1st, 2021
- Mad Mike Ink Adds the Astanza Duality to Offer Laser Tattoo Removal and Tattoo Modification in Flushing, New York - Yahoo Finance - September 1st, 2021
- Erie tattoo artists reflect on business during COVID-19. Here's how they're moving forward - GoErie.com - September 1st, 2021
- Bodies of Art: 4th tattoo expo brings artists, clients to Paris - Paris News - September 1st, 2021
- A new artist studio and tattoo shop coming to the Village of West Greenville | GVLtoday - AVLtoday - September 1st, 2021
- The Beautiful Reason Guy Fieri Was Brought To Tears Before Getting This Special New Tattoo - Mashed - September 1st, 2021
- Former Raptor Danny Green's new tattoo shows he is still madly in love with Toronto - blogTO - September 1st, 2021
- Demi Lovato inks large 'love' tattoo on their hand - Page Six - September 1st, 2021
- Plano native finds meaning, career through art community in Tyler - Tyler Morning Telegraph - September 1st, 2021
- Artists converge in Salt Lake City for Utah Arts Festival after year off - fox13now.com - September 1st, 2021
- Bucs fans head to local tattoo artist to commemorate Super Bowl 55 win - ABC Action News - August 20th, 2021
- Second Tattoo Artist Revealed in the Indian Motorcycle X No Regrets Collaboration - Motorcycle.com - August 20th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Has a New Tattoo, and Her Dad's One-Word Reaction Is Making Us LOL - POPSUGAR - August 20th, 2021
- Manny Pacquiao protege Mark Magsayo wants to be the next great Filipino fighter - ESPN - August 20th, 2021
- Roman Reigns Still Aims to Be a Source of Inspiration, Even After Turning Heel - Sports Illustrated - August 20th, 2021
- I thought my Little Mermaid tattoo was going to kill me after infection burst through ink... - The Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Up Close and On the Ground With Canada's Intrepid Tree Planters - Atlas Obscura - August 20th, 2021
- Teen Mom Briana DeJesus confirms split from fiance Javi Gonzalez & reveals reason why just two months... - The US Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Jake Paul vs. Tyron Woodley: Start Times, Perspectives, Fighting Rules, and Everything You Need to Know - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 20th, 2021
- Michigan's tattoo parlor sexual assault problem and the activists intervening - People's World - August 6th, 2021
- Fish Ladder Tattoo Company, Eclectic Tattoo cut ties with artists after allegations of misconduct - WSYM-TV - August 6th, 2021
- Gordon Ramsay reacts to super fan who got his face tattooed on her arm in hilarious viral video - Scottish Daily Record - August 6th, 2021
- Photos: Some tattoo shops see increased business during the pandemic - STLtoday.com - August 6th, 2021
- Stratford tattoo studio, art gallery moving to a new location - CTPost - August 6th, 2021
- Everything you need to know on the Nas Daily debacle - Yahoo Philippines News - August 6th, 2021
- Photos: DC Residents Show Off Their Pandemic Tattoos - Washingtonian - August 6th, 2021
- BLK + BRWN debuts KC's first smart bookstore with a twist: 'I wanted to be as Black as possible' - Startland News - August 6th, 2021
- What Are Hand Poked Tattoos And Should You Get One? - Man's World India - August 6th, 2021
- Briana DeJesus' Fiance Accused of Being 'Bizarre' - Heavy.com - August 6th, 2021