Im not sure about you, but the first time I got a tattoo I had no idea what to expect when it came to the tattoo healing process andpictures of healing tattoo stages.
I vividly remember, asking someone who was completely covered in tattoos if what was happening to me was normal. I was never prepped by my artist for what to expect and honestly cant even blame him because to him he knew what to expect and probably assumed I did too.
Its pretty important to at least have a solid understanding of what a tattoo looks like as it goes through the healing stages so that you can know that you are on the right track and so you can act immediately if you think that something is going wrong (infection/color fading).
I cant stress enough how important it is to take care of your tattoo when you are going through the healing stages the tattoo is not complete until it has been healed.
Obviously, youll start out at the tattoo shop with a stencil placed where youre tattoo will be. Take into consideration the placement, is this where you want your tattoo to be? Does it make sense and flow with your other tattoos?
Quick Note: I got this piece of advice from my tattoo artist. When doing faces or portraits ensure that the direction the face is looking or facing is going towards your body. I was intrigued when he mentioned this and the basic premise as to why you would do this is that the tattoo does look off or wrong if it is not facing in.
In the second phase that you will see, the tattoo will be wrapped in sterile wrapping with ointment on the tattoo to assist with the open wound that will have leaking bodily fluids underneath. It is during this phase that your tattoo artist may advise you to keep the tattoo wrapped for a few hours (2-4) or leave it on overnight if your session was completed late.
This is a stage when the tattoo is sore and painful to the touch and most likely will be leaking bodily fluids for a few more days. It is important to keep the tattoo clean with anti-bacterial soap and keep the tattoo moisturizes with your preferred form of ointment.
The thirdpicture ofthe tattoo healing stages demonstrates what your tattoo will look like the week or so after you have gotten the tattoojust before it starts to peel. It is going to be red and a bit sore to the touch and will have a brighter look to it.
During this time you will want to take good care of the tattoo:
If you do in fact bump into someone that is sweating, have someone sneeze on the area, or fall into a puddle of mud (who knows?). Go ahead and clean the area and keep an eye on the area to make sure that it remains clean and heals correctly.
The fourth stage that will inevitably be encountered as you are going through the tattoo healing stages is that of the tattoo peeling. This can freak out many newbies when you are not prepared for what to expect.
Why Does Your Tattoo Peel?
When you receive a tattoo the needle that contains the ink pierces your skin thousands of times over in a condensed area. Each time it is introducing a foreign substance to your body and your immune system reacts quickly to the skin being repeatedly attacked. It responds as though your body has just received an open would therefore causing blood and plasma to quickly rush to the area.
The bodies response to the area that has been tattooed is that it has been attacked and the cells that are damaged must be removed from the body. With the tattoo affecting the top levels of your skin,your body will shed the damaged cells and in turn recover with a new layer of skin showing.
The peeling stage is essentially the body repairing the damaged cells from the tattoo process you went through. The bodies is responding to the open wound and shedding those damaged cells and replacing them with a new, healthy layer of skin (with your tattoo now in it).
You can see the skin fragments that are peeling when you look closely.
There are a fewobservations that I have come to understandwhen my tattoo has gone through this stage.
In my experience the peeling stage doesnt last too long, generally I go through this stage for a week no more than two weeks. This is all dependent on the person, everyones body will heal at different rates and I wouldnt worry with how your tattoo is peeling, just take care of the area and focus on not picking or itching at the flakes of skin.
Note: If you pick at the area you risk pulling color from the tattoo.
The final stage that I have depicted in the pictures of the tattoo healing stagesis that of a completed tattoo. This is after it is done peeling and the area is healed. As you can tell the color does appear faded. This is how healed tattoos look when they have been full recovered and that is because the tattooed skin has repaired and replaced itself.
Having a great tattoo artist is one of thebest things you can really do to support your goal of having the best tattoo quality post recovery. Obviously, it is not going to look as vibrantas it does when it is fresh and new, so it is vital that you find a tattoo artist that understands the art of providing high quality tattoos.
Taking the initiative to prepare yourself and focus on using thebest tattoo healing products is important, below are some of my recommendations when it comes to tattoo aftercare.
Three part system.
Water based products.
Noticed faster healing.
Great for small pieces.
Does not contain Petroleum or Lanolin
Includes sunscreen protectant for tattoo
Really Effective Lotion.
Three Part System.
Larger Kit (9 Oz.)
- Former Raptor Danny Green gets Toronto-themed tattoo (PHOTOS) | Offside - Daily Hive - September 1st, 2021
- The Most Unbelievable Customized Toronto Maple Leafs Items on Twitter - Editor in Leaf - August 20th, 2021
- Taboo in Japan, athletes sport tattoos at the Tokyo Olympics | Pictures - Reuters India - August 6th, 2021
- PICTURES: Kane Brown Posts Incredible Before + After Pics From One Year in the Gym - Taste of Country - August 6th, 2021
- 110 Short Inspirational Tattoo Quotes Ideas with Pictures - July 22nd, 2021
- Tattoo.com | A Shared Passion For Ink - July 22nd, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra's fans spot never-before-seen tattoo on her arm as she reunites with her dogs in London. Watch - Hindustan Times - July 8th, 2021
- CCTV pictures released as police probe assault and robbery in Edinburgh - Daily Record - July 8th, 2021
- Fact Check-Florida babys tattoos were temporary and intended as a joke - Reuters - June 26th, 2021
- The Many Britneys I Met When I Worked at a Reproductive Health Clinic - Esquire - June 26th, 2021
- Share your pictures and stories of pet tattoos - The Guardian - May 28th, 2021
- "Overacting Ki Dukaan": Actress Arti Singh Trolled For Her Vaccination Pics - NDTV - May 16th, 2021
- Dr Gregor Smith: Tattooed chief medical officer surprises Scots with stunning body art as he receives coronavirus vaccine jag - The Scotsman - May 4th, 2021
- Billie Eilish Tattoos: Guide to Ink Designs and Their Meanings - J-14 - May 4th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - The Journal News / Lohud.com - April 19th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston Shares Meaning of '11 11' Tattoo: Pics - Us Weekly - March 8th, 2021
- PICTURES: Care home residents at Innis Mhor in Tain make an impression with special tattoos - Northern Times - March 8th, 2021
- Father-Son Duo Facing Charges of Armed Pot Robbery - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - March 8th, 2021
- Rohanpreet Singh gets a tattoo of wife Neha Kakkars name! - The Tribune India - February 19th, 2021
- Valentines Day 2021: Neha Kakkars Husband Rohanpreet Singh Gets Nehus Man Tattooed On His Arm; Lady Gushes Over Him And Calls It The Best Gift Ever-... - February 17th, 2021
- Rohanpreet Singh gets a tattoo for Neha Kakkar on Valentines Day; 'Nehu's man', it reads; check it out - The Tribune India - February 14th, 2021
- Norfolk tattooist turns to art in lockdown - Eastern Daily Press - February 14th, 2021
- CrimeStoppers says face masks are making it harder to identify wanted criminals - KHON2 - February 11th, 2021
- Sapna Choudhary gets husband Veer Sahu's name tattooed on her arm | Latest photos - India TV News - February 6th, 2021
- Khushi Kapoor is OBSESSED with tattoos; Take a look at these PHOTOS which prove the same - PINKVILLA - February 4th, 2021
- Best of Jackson 2021: Community and Culture - Jackson Free Press - February 4th, 2021
- All About Alev Aydin, Halsey's Boyfriend and Father of Her Child - ELLE.com - February 2nd, 2021
- Who is Leni Klum? 5 fascinating facts about Heidi Klum's 16-year-old daughter who walked her first runway - MEAWW - January 27th, 2021
- BTS Jungkooks tattoo to Jennies 25th birthday; Heres a weekly round-up of K-pops - Republic World - January 24th, 2021
- UK lotto winner shares photo of her bizarre bum tattoos on Instagram - NEWS.com.au - January 22nd, 2021
- 90 Day Fiance: Everything To Know About Yolanda's Ex Josh Seiter - Screen Rant - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Insider - INSIDER - January 12th, 2021
- Chicago Activist Outs Local Insurgents Who Traveled To Capitol - WBEZ - January 12th, 2021
- POLICE LOOKING FOR SUSPECT IN TOOL THEFT FROM LOWE'S IN DECEMBER - wccsradio.com - January 9th, 2021
- Brad Pitt Shows Off His 7 Back Tattoos As He Goes Snorkeling In Turks And Caicos - SpotboyE - January 5th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal (English) - January 5th, 2021
- Inspired by the sun's nourishment - Otago Daily Times - January 5th, 2021
- Raheem Sterling's tattoos explained: What do they mean and where are they on his body? - Goal.com - January 3rd, 2021
- David Fincher, the Unhappiest Auteur - The New York Times - January 3rd, 2021
- The Nashville explosion slammed these small businesses. They'll need help digging out - WLS - December 28th, 2020
- Ink Master Season 1: Where Are They Now? Ink Master Season 1 Winners Today - The Cinemaholic - December 25th, 2020
- Police trying to ID woman hit by van - Times-Mail - December 23rd, 2020
- Chhavi Mittal Flaunting Her Stomach Tattoo Dedicated To Hubby, Mohit Hussein Screams Of Eternal Love - BollywoodShaadis.com - December 21st, 2020
- Mom-To-Be Kareena Kapoor Khan Turns Author, Shares How The Subject Of Her Book Is Close To Her Heart - BollywoodShaadis.com - December 21st, 2020
- Fantasy Island reboot on the cards - The New Indian Express - December 18th, 2020
- She was in Iraq when her son was killed. Four years later, the police have no leads. - Houston Chronicle - December 17th, 2020
- Sushmita Sen And Rohman Shawl Vacay In Dubai, Her Brother, Rajeev And Wife, Charu To Join Them Soon - BollywoodShaadis.com - December 16th, 2020
- Nipsey Hussle, The LAPD And The Inescapable Trap Of Gang Affiliation - NPR - December 14th, 2020
- This Alberta dad sat through 30 hours of tattoo pain so his son would feel better about birthmark - CBC.ca - December 11th, 2020
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan snapped with hubby Saif Ali Khan; latter's new tattoo grabs everyone's atte - Times of India - December 11th, 2020
- Gwen Stefani reveals why shes delayed Blake Shelton wedding - Metro.co.uk - December 9th, 2020
- Madonna, 62, Gets Her Very 1st Tattoo and the Beautiful Design Is Touchingly Beautiful - Us Weekly - December 8th, 2020
- At the age of 68, Purnimas mother with a tattoo on her arm! - Primetime - December 8th, 2020
- Lost Gypsy Tattoo holds giveaway to encourage holiday sponsorship of veterans, children in need - Hazard Herald - December 5th, 2020
- Chris Evans and His Dog, Dodger, Have the Purest Bond See Their Cutest Photos - POPSUGAR - December 5th, 2020
- Press photographer's new collections of snapshots bring Swindon's history to life - Swindon Advertiser - December 2nd, 2020
- Justin Bieber wants 'a little tribe' of kids with wife Hailey Baldwin - Metro.co.uk - December 1st, 2020
- Merrill man charged with making child pornography after investigators say they identified him by his tattoo - Wausau Daily Herald - November 25th, 2020
- Kunal Kemmu's tattoo will leave you impressed - Times of India - November 25th, 2020
- Karan Mehra And Nisha Rawal Celebrate 8th Wedding Anniversary, Share Photoshoot Pictures With Kavish - BollywoodShaadis.com - November 25th, 2020
- Dipika Kakkar Flaunts 'Shoaika' Tattoo, Calls it Her Reason for Happiness - News18 - November 25th, 2020
- When Tracey was Traci: Emin's unseen early paintings published for the first time - The Guardian - November 23rd, 2020
- Dipika Kakar gets a tattoo of 'Shoaika' on her hand dedicated to her and Shoaib's love - News Track English - November 21st, 2020
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture [Updated November 19] - Gold Derby - November 20th, 2020
- I'm A Celebrity: Jordan gets a helping hand from Gavin and Stacey - Metro.co.uk - November 20th, 2020
- Lisa Congdon On Creativity, Activism, and Finding Your Flow - Brit + Co - November 20th, 2020
- Is it the last of the Camden Lock mohicans? - Camden New Journal newspapers website - November 18th, 2020
- Is Angelina Pivarnick already headed for divorce? Heres why Jersey Shore fans think she and Chris L ... - Monsters and Critics - November 18th, 2020
- Unseen Pictures Of Arpita Khan Sharma And Aayush Sharma From 'Grih Pravesh' Ceremony Post-Wedding - BollywoodShaadis.com - November 18th, 2020
- Police release pictures of three men wanted for knife and bat attack on woman in Lancaster - Lancashire Post - November 16th, 2020
- Tattoo Inks Market Expected To Witness A Sustainable Growth Over 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 6th, 2020
- Brooklyn, son of David Beckham, is the latest popular child to reveal a face tattoo - DodoFinance - November 5th, 2020
- Dad ridiculed after getting tattoos of his kids POO on his leg as gobsmacked people joke I thought Id seen - The Sun - November 5th, 2020
- Kajal Aggarwals fan gets her name tattooed on the formers wedding day. See PHOTOS - Times of India - October 31st, 2020
- First day of tier 3 restrictions in Sutton - in pictures - Mansfield and Ashfield Chad - October 31st, 2020
- Tattoo Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images - October 30th, 2020
- Kunal Kemmu's Stylish Tiger Tattoo Took 4 Years to Complete and It Looks Awesome - Report Door - October 30th, 2020
- Larissa Lima has yet another cosmetic procedure, promises pictures after she heals - Monsters and Critics - October 30th, 2020
- Prince Monolulu: The truth behind horse racing's original showman tipster - BBC Sport - October 30th, 2020
- Tattoo artist has nose CUT OFF and horns added to make himself look like Marvel villain Red Skull - The Sun - October 27th, 2020