For many DC residents, tattoos have been a way of celebrating the good, and honoring the hardships, that came out of 2020s turbulence. From stick-and-pokes done by romantic partners to full-color sleeves, heres a look at some of the body art locals acquired during the pandemicand the stories behind the ink.
Kate Yeager kicked off the pandemic with a new tattoo. The 24 year-old has since acquired two more.
In March 2020, Yeager got inked with a rose in honor of her maternal grandfather, who always sent her the flower on her birthday. Also, Yeager also worked on the Bernie Sanders presidential campaign, and the rose is the flower of the Democratic Socialists of America. Her other pandemic tattoos are related to familyshe has the word six tattooed on her arm, in memory of her paternal grandfather who passed away in March 2021 (its a nickname they called one another).
Her other tattoo is a bouquet of flowers on her back, each blossom representing a family members birth month:Im definitely very close with my family. And I thought, getting the tattoo on my back, you know, its like family always has your back.
Eickmeyer, an DC public school elementary teacher, got his pandemic tattoo just a few weeks ago. It depicts his puppy Bean, who he adopted with his girlfriend at the beginning of the pandemic.
She was super important to us and got us out of the house and kind of got us through the year, he says. Bean made frequent appearances in the background of Eickmeyers zoom classesand one student in his second-grade class drew the pup every day. Eickmeyer used one of those drawings for a tat on his left armthe arm with which he holds Beans leash.
I feel like we dont get a lot of opportunities to designate important milestones in our life, good or bad, Eickmeyer says. I felt like, if not this then what?
Olivia Lanham, a 25-year-old federal contractor who lives near Ballston, actually grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginiapart of what inspired this mountain range on her torso.
Lanham returned home for a few months after the pandemic began and later took a road trip with friends in fall 2020. After gazing at many mountains, she got her first tattoo in Vegas. She says this is not any specific mountain range, but just a reminder of home.
Lanham says that being back home gave her an appreciation for nature and the traditions of Appalachian culture. Throughout so much of my young adult life, I was embarrassed to be from back-country roads and so eager to get out. And now that Im finally in the city, I find myself appreciative of where I grew up, she says. My tattoo keeps me grounded.
Higgins, a 29-year-old robotics engineer, got the phrase social distancing tattooed in a circle on his leg during what he calls the bottom of the dregs of the initial lockdown period.
The artist was none other than his girlfriend, who during the first few months of the pandemic, set out to develop a new skill each month. During her tattoo month, she learned how to do stick-and-poke, a form of tattooing that doesnt rely on a machine. Why social distancing? Higgins and his girlfriend settled on the term because it would help them remember what they had been experiencing.
I definitely recognize that this last year has been difficult for a lot of people, not just because of the virus but because of social unrest and a whole lot of other things, he says. Im definitely not trying to make light of the situation. But its nice to give me a reason to smile when all these terrible things have been going on.
This 33-year-old business owners pandemic tattoo was part of a matching set she got with one of her four sisters, Andrea Reynolds, who has been diagnosed with stage four breast cancer.
Its the four of us kind of dancing in a circle. Its the four of us kind of in an eternal hug, holding together. And each of our bodies looks kind of like a droplet, she says.
The other two sisters plan on getting the tattoo also, although they resisted it when Waldmansuggested the idea two years ago. Then, about six months ago, Andrea said to the four of us, Hey, I think I would be down to do a sisters tattoo, what does everyone else think? Waldman says. And I think, because of her diagnosis, and this kind of grasping on to life, and Carpe Diem, we decided to go forward with it.
Blais, a 29-year-old trade association staffer, got his tattoo of the phrase E. Pluribus Unum (out of many, one) shortly after being vaccinated. Blais wanted to wait until after Bidens victory to get it, to celebrate the nation surviving four years under the Trump presidency.
After January 6 and the pandemic, I take it now as [a] symbol of how fragile the country is and how its on all of us to remember at the end of the day, we are one nation, Blais says. What happens to the least of us, happens to all.
Nagib, 37, is the owner of Pink Fox, the cannabis clothing company. His new arm tattoo honors his late business partner, who went by the nickname Keo. She died of ovarian cancer in June.
The writing came from a birthday card shed written for him a few days before she passed. You just dont want to forget some things, or how you felt during some things or how you remember things, he says. It sucks, right? Like, this person passes away from cancer and you think you have more time with them. So its just more about memorializing and trying to have something to latch on to.
Nyczepir, a 33-year-old reporter, honors his late dog Trixie, who passed away during the pandemic. Trixie actually belonged to his ex-girlfriend, who lives in California. The two have remained friends, and Nyczepir had been planning to visit the dog before the pandemic hit.
Trixie was a super empathetic dog, probably the most empathetic dog Ive ever had. She just always knew when you were down, going through a bad time, would find you wherever you were and just kind of cuddle up with you, he says. I think just the fact that she was such a sweet dog meant a lot to me Also, the fact that the relationship ended up not working out. It was sort of a symbol ofnot regretbut just kind of looking back fondly on old times.
Moore, a 31-year-old privacy lawyer, chose to cover his forearm with a full-colored phoenix. In the summer of 2020, he underwent bariatric surgery, and the tat is a way to celebrate his health and weight loss. At the time of the surgery, he was 348 pounds; now, he weighs 206 pounds.
Looking at all of my medical records since then, and how much everything has improved, I really want some permanent way to remember just how hard Ive worked and what Ive accomplished, he says. I love the symbolism that we came up with. The phoenix, and the rebirth coming from unfortunate circumstances.
Join the conversation!
Melissa Santoyo joined Washingtonian in July 2021. She is a rising junior at Northwestern University studying journalism and art.
Originally posted here:
- Business is Buzzing at Kat's Piercings and Tattoos in Edgecomb - The Lincoln County News - October 5th, 2021
- Meet Stacie-Rae Weir, the Breast Cancer Tattoo Artist and Teacher - InStyle - October 5th, 2021
- Euphoria Tattoos, artist using permanent ink to help people share a part of themselves with the world - WTXL ABC 27 - October 5th, 2021
- West Park Style and Ink turns scissors on red ribbon in Avon Lake - cleveland.com - October 5th, 2021
- Truth and reconciliation should be about actions not vacations: Steveston tattoo artist - Richmond News - October 5th, 2021
- Isle of Wight fundraising event to support the Mastectomy Tattooing Alliance - On The Wight - October 5th, 2021
- I was young, dumb and got a tattoo of my ex's name. My current guy can't seem to get over it. - Anchorage Daily News - October 5th, 2021
- Remember the dead alligator in the pink dumpster? Now it's a tattoo - KTBS - October 5th, 2021
- Objects 'fly across room' of haunted Chichester shop - Chichester Observer - October 5th, 2021
- How Lip Blushing Can Alter the Look of Your Lips - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 5th, 2021
- Mayor Bowser Presents the 36th Annual Mayor's Arts Awards, Celebrating Washington, DC's Artistic and Creative Communities | mayormb - Executive Office... - October 5th, 2021
- Find the best Seattle hotel for your next vacation (or staycation) - USA Today 10Best - October 5th, 2021
- Flushing Town Hall's Art Gallery Reopens To The Public This October With New Exhibition, 'Communicating Beyond Words' - Broadway World - October 5th, 2021
- Dublin tattoo artist reveals worrying portrait someone had done - Q102 - September 1st, 2021
- Pandemic Woes and a YOLO Mentality Have Ignited a Boom Time for Tattoo Artists - TIME - September 1st, 2021
- Jake Paul will have tattoo artist on location for bet with Tyron Woodley - WKYC.com - September 1st, 2021
- Love Islands Dale shows off new butterfly neck inking from tattoo artist Abi... - The Scottish Sun - September 1st, 2021
- Mad Mike Ink Adds the Astanza Duality to Offer Laser Tattoo Removal and Tattoo Modification in Flushing, New York - Yahoo Finance - September 1st, 2021
- Erie tattoo artists reflect on business during COVID-19. Here's how they're moving forward - GoErie.com - September 1st, 2021
- Bodies of Art: 4th tattoo expo brings artists, clients to Paris - Paris News - September 1st, 2021
- A new artist studio and tattoo shop coming to the Village of West Greenville | GVLtoday - AVLtoday - September 1st, 2021
- The Beautiful Reason Guy Fieri Was Brought To Tears Before Getting This Special New Tattoo - Mashed - September 1st, 2021
- Former Raptor Danny Green's new tattoo shows he is still madly in love with Toronto - blogTO - September 1st, 2021
- Demi Lovato inks large 'love' tattoo on their hand - Page Six - September 1st, 2021
- Plano native finds meaning, career through art community in Tyler - Tyler Morning Telegraph - September 1st, 2021
- Artists converge in Salt Lake City for Utah Arts Festival after year off - fox13now.com - September 1st, 2021
- Bucs fans head to local tattoo artist to commemorate Super Bowl 55 win - ABC Action News - August 20th, 2021
- Second Tattoo Artist Revealed in the Indian Motorcycle X No Regrets Collaboration - Motorcycle.com - August 20th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Has a New Tattoo, and Her Dad's One-Word Reaction Is Making Us LOL - POPSUGAR - August 20th, 2021
- Manny Pacquiao protege Mark Magsayo wants to be the next great Filipino fighter - ESPN - August 20th, 2021
- Roman Reigns Still Aims to Be a Source of Inspiration, Even After Turning Heel - Sports Illustrated - August 20th, 2021
- I thought my Little Mermaid tattoo was going to kill me after infection burst through ink... - The Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Up Close and On the Ground With Canada's Intrepid Tree Planters - Atlas Obscura - August 20th, 2021
- Teen Mom Briana DeJesus confirms split from fiance Javi Gonzalez & reveals reason why just two months... - The US Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Jake Paul vs. Tyron Woodley: Start Times, Perspectives, Fighting Rules, and Everything You Need to Know - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 20th, 2021
- Michigan's tattoo parlor sexual assault problem and the activists intervening - People's World - August 6th, 2021
- Fish Ladder Tattoo Company, Eclectic Tattoo cut ties with artists after allegations of misconduct - WSYM-TV - August 6th, 2021
- Gordon Ramsay reacts to super fan who got his face tattooed on her arm in hilarious viral video - Scottish Daily Record - August 6th, 2021
- Photos: Some tattoo shops see increased business during the pandemic - STLtoday.com - August 6th, 2021
- Stratford tattoo studio, art gallery moving to a new location - CTPost - August 6th, 2021
- Everything you need to know on the Nas Daily debacle - Yahoo Philippines News - August 6th, 2021
- BLK + BRWN debuts KC's first smart bookstore with a twist: 'I wanted to be as Black as possible' - Startland News - August 6th, 2021
- What Are Hand Poked Tattoos And Should You Get One? - Man's World India - August 6th, 2021
- Briana DeJesus' Fiance Accused of Being 'Bizarre' - Heavy.com - August 6th, 2021
- Touring the Garfield County Detention Facility - Aspen Daily News - August 6th, 2021
- Brazilian Tattoo Artist Transforms Physical Appearance To Be An Orc - mit inc - July 22nd, 2021
- I quit my corporate job to become a tattoo artist at 29 years old. Here are 7 things that surprised me most. - Insider - July 22nd, 2021
- Saturday is National Tattoo Day heres where you can get some fresh ink - Very Local New Orleans - July 22nd, 2021
- Tattoo artists from around the world gather for Chicago's largest tattoo convention - Columbia Chronicle - July 22nd, 2021
- Thinking of a tattoo? Here are the most and least painful spots to get inked - Insider - July 22nd, 2021
- 3 Non-Negotiable Tattoo Rules According to Lauren Winzer, Celebrity Ink Artist - Lifehacker Australia - July 22nd, 2021
- Celebrities with Matching Tattoos: See the Couples, Costars and Friends Who've Gotten Matching Ink - PEOPLE - July 22nd, 2021
- Shannon Hemmett of ACTORS and LEATHERS Shares Her Best Work as a Tattoo Artist - Exclaim! - July 22nd, 2021
- Hairline Tattooing and What You Need to Know - menshealth.com - July 22nd, 2021
- The Boston Art Podcast sets out to document underrepresented local creators - The Boston Globe - July 22nd, 2021
- 4-Ever West Tattoo Festival returns, bigger than ever - Wyoming Tribune - July 22nd, 2021
- Body modification fanatic cuts off finger in extreme transformation - New York Post - July 8th, 2021
- Meet the Italian tattoo artist who turned his London backyard into a thriving urban garden - Euronews - July 8th, 2021
- The tattoo artist has made changes in protest and wants to slash his hand - Mediarun Search - July 8th, 2021
- NANG: The World's First Grime Colouring Book Is Here - Complex - July 8th, 2021
- What You Need to Know Before Getting Your First Tattoo, From Celeb Tattoo Artist Lauren Winzer - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - July 8th, 2021
- From tattoos to tokens at Tokyo's first crypto art show - The Japan Times - July 8th, 2021
- Purdue adjusting to new realities of the NIL Era - Rivals.com - Rivals.com - Purdue - July 8th, 2021
- Gran, 83 gets tattoo after Jgerbomb session with ink artist grandson - North Wales Live - July 8th, 2021
- The Tattoo Industry Is Changing and Queer-Owned Spaces Are Leading the Charge - POPSUGAR - June 26th, 2021
- Newfane tattoo artist gives back to the community by giving ink - WIVB.com - News 4 - June 26th, 2021
- 8 Best Lotions for a New Tattoo - Creams and Products for Tattoo Healing and Aftercare - GoodHousekeeping.com - June 26th, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian poses in just a bra & shows off her diamond-encrusted teeth in new photos... - The US Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Rihanna Covers Up Her Matching Shark Tattoo With Drake and Fans Think Its Because of ASAP Rocky - Us Weekly - June 26th, 2021
- Delightful Granddaughter: Grandmaw isn't going to like this - The Star Beacon - June 26th, 2021
- The Internet Came Up With New Reality Show Ideas That Actually Sound Interesting - ScoopWhoop - June 26th, 2021
- Canelo Alvarez: the meaning of the tattoo of the Mexican boxer | What does Canelo's tattoo say | Mexico | MX nnda-nnlt | Mexico - East Africa News... - June 26th, 2021
- 'MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY': SOPHISTICATED AND INTRIGUING - The Republic - June 26th, 2021
- Scar Cover-Up Tattoos Help Women Regain Confidence in Their Bodies - My Modern Met - June 9th, 2021
- How a New Generation of Queer Artists and Patrons Are Redefining Tattoo Culture on Their Own Terms - Vogue - June 9th, 2021
- Tattoo artist goes viral on TikTok with the story of a woman's perfect revenge on her cheating boyfriend - TAG24 NEWS - June 9th, 2021
- A fan pays tribute to Nikola Jokic by getting a tattoo of his patent move the 'Sombor Shuffle' - Basketball Network - June 9th, 2021
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson, 30, and wife Sam, 54, show off matching tattoos - Page Six - June 9th, 2021
- 'Alice the rat was so special': readers on their brilliant, beloved pet tattoos - The Guardian - June 9th, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know Before Getting a Face Tattoo - AskMen - June 9th, 2021