Made in Vancouver is a collaboration between Vancity and Daily Hive. Together, were turning the spotlight onto local businesses, organizations, and individuals who are helping to create a healthy local economy.
Whats it really like to be a female tattoo artist? Daily Hive spoke to Disa Raven to find out.
As a teenager, Disa Raven struggled with self esteem. She admits, I never felt good enough or pretty enough or talented enough. Her 19-year-old self was bored, unfulfilled and depressed, a high school dropout pretty much headed nowhere other than a minimum wage job.
As part of our Made in Vancouver series spotlighting local businesses, we talked to Disa Raven, the founder of Disa Raven The Studio about making her mark in male-dominated field.
Vancity has been supporting local businesses like Disa Raven The Studio with different programs. Now until Sept 30, Vancity enviro Visa* cardholders will earn 1.5x the rewards points at select businesses through the Load Up on Local program. To learn more, visit vancity.com/local
She had always loved painting and drawing, but didnt know how anyone could earn a living from it. Art is so accessible now that theres nothing unique about getting a real painting that somebody spent hours and hours and energy and emotion on, she said.
And she certainly had never considered tattooing as a career path.
I grew up in a family that did not like tattoos whatsoever, Raven said with a laugh. Plus, she had only ever seen tattoos that were poorly done or inked in harsh, heavy styles that didnt appeal to her. I loved portraits and florals and very pretty things, but I never knew it was even an option to tattoo those things.
Then, she met a well-known tattoo artist and ended up spending a few months in his Miami studio, learning about the craft.
They had 12 artists in the studio, and every single one of them was a diehard artist. They lived and breathed their art, and they worked to please their clients and to create memorial pieces and beautiful works of art permanently for people.
Describing this brief time with the tattoo artist, she said He was definitely a mentor to me and an introduction into the career. She returned to the Lower Mainland with a clear goal in mind but achieving that goal wouldnt be easy.
According to Raven, the general way of entering the tattoo industry is to go to a studio and show them your portfolio and hope for an apprenticeship. And most apprenticeships look like: one to two years long, five to seven days a week, eight hours a day, with no pay. Some tattoo studios make you pay them, almost like a schooling format.
Armed with her small portfolio, she asked a popular local tattoo shop for an apprenticeship. To her surprise, they told her she could start the very next day. But when she showed up for work wearing pants and a hoodie, they were visibly disappointed. We were kind of hoping that you would show a little something something, she recalls them saying. She told them no thanks and left.
The disappointment was crushing.
Basically shot down my dreams in 0.5 seconds and made me feel like my only opportunity into this career was going to be as an attractive female, not as a driven artist, she said. A male tattoo artist often endures hazing and bullying when trying to enter the industry, but Raven says that a female tattoo artist usually faces sexism on top of that.
But she didnt let this setback stop her.
I ended up deciding to teach myself how to tattoo, with guidance from my mentor, she said. I ended up buying all of my own equipment. I was working three jobs at the time to save up enough money to afford everything.
At first Raven did seven or eight small tattoos per day. Gradually, as her skills and confidence improved, she started doing larger ones. These days, she does only large-scale work, seeing one client per day for about nine hours at a time.
I have 20 clients right now, and those are the only people I will see for the rest of this year, she said, adding, They all come back every two weeks to complete full leg sleeves and full back pieces and full body suits.
The tattoos she creates are in the black and grey realism style, which involves shading instead of harsh lines. Its soft. Its gentle, she explained. Its more similar to a painting style.
The thing that always deterred me away from tattoos were the harsh, dark, black lines, because Im a very girly girl, she said.
Three years ago she opened Disa Raven The Studio in Pitt Meadows. She describes her shop as pretty, with the look and feel of a makeup studio as opposed to a typical tattoo parlour.
I never felt welcome going into a male-dominated studio, she said. I feel like building a womens shop has created a safe space for people to come get tattooed and feel like they can be themselves.
Other than the period of lockdown, when everything was closed, her shop has been busy during the pandemic.
Raven has a theory about that. People are bored, she said. They cant go on vacation. They dont know what to spend their money on. So they just want to get tattooed. And the stringent sanitation procedures required in all tattoo studios (even before the pandemic) are reassuring to a COVID-weary public.
Next month, Raven is opening a new space, a larger shop called Tatt Bratz. Shell be taking on more artists, in addition to her two female apprentices. I had decided to take on an apprentice mostly because I was never given that opportunity, and I wanted to give that to someone else, in a respectful manner.
Looking even further ahead, Raven expresses confidence about her future. I have massive plans, she said. Im only 24, so Ive got lots of time.
Personally, shed like to travel the world while doing tattoos. She recollects her pre-pandemic trips fondly: I feel like those were the most inspiring moments of my entire career, because I was able to meet new artists with different perspectives, different careers, different everything.
She continues, My ultimate goal in my career is to own a shop out here that has a bunch of female artists, just working really hard and doing their own thing.
Above all else, she never forgets the trust that her customers put in her every single day. She said that putting permanent artwork on a persons body is the highest honour.
One of her best customers whos also become one of her closest friends originally emailed her to request a small, simple tattoo. She declined, saying, I dont really do small tattoos. He responded by asking if she had any ideas for something larger.
Feeling inspired, and without even requesting a deposit, Raven spent hours doing a custom drawing and sent it to the potential customer. He messaged back immediately: I love it. Lets book it right now.
Later she asked him why he had been so quick to agree to a three-session, 19-hour tattoo. You were so passionate about this idea, he told her. I respected you as an artist, and I wanted to allow you to create your art.
Raven was dumbfounded. I think that was one of the first times that somebody had given me that opportunity as an artist to truly just create for them, without any resistance. She describes it as absolute, total creative freedom.
Shes come a long way since the sad and directionless 19-year-old she once was. Her career path especially as a female tattoo artist has been filled with snags and setbacks, but now Raven exudes optimism and confidence. I dont feel like before tattooing I ever had anybody that thought I would go anywhere. I feel like I motivate people now, she said.
I dont know what I would be without tattooing.
Disa Raven has three key pieces of advice for anyone contemplating getting ink done.
1. Choose the artwork carefully.
Dont pick a tattoo just because its cute or a celebrity has the same one. Choose something meaningful to you, and never forget that its there for life. Tattoos have become more common, which is awesome, and theyre more accepted, but almost in the way that people are forgetting that theyre permanent, she said.
2. Be equally careful choosing the artist.
Take the time to do your research. All tattoos look good in the beginning, but its very important to look at a tattoo artists healed work, Raven said. Its an investment, and its a commitment. Its not, how can I get tattooed the fastest possible? And by whoevers available this week?
3. Dont get pressured into anything you dont want.
The macho atmosphere in many tattoo parlours can make customers reluctant to speak up if they disagree with the direction the artwork is taking. And then they end up getting something that they dont really want because they felt intimidated, said Raven. If thats not what you wanted, then dont get it. You cant take it off.
See the article here:
- According to artists, the Best and Worst Types of Tattoos To Get - Central Recorder - November 23rd, 2021
- Go Behind the Scenes of Succession with Jihae - TownandCountrymag.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Im a makeup artist and these are the most annoying things clients do PLEASE put your phone away... - The US Sun - November 9th, 2021
- Ariana Grande on Creating the Perfect rem Beauty Makeup Line And Secret "Harry Potter" Reference - Seventeen.com - November 9th, 2021
- All New Beauty Launches Arriving in November 2021 - TeenVogue.com - November 9th, 2021
- Katherine Ryan: I thought plastic surgery was aspirational - The Guardian - November 9th, 2021
- Reese Witherspoon's daughter complains to this fellow celeb child about mom-lookalike comparisons, more news - Wonderwall - November 9th, 2021
- Travis Barker's Utterly Distraught Ex-Wife Shanna Moakler Sobs Into The Phone After Rocker Covers Up Tattoo Of Her Name With New Fiance Kourtney... - October 29th, 2021
- Why Are NFL Players So Obsessed With The Dark Knight? - The Ringer - October 29th, 2021
- National salon franchise coming to Milwaukee's Third Ward - BizTimes Milwaukee - October 29th, 2021
- Allouez gets updates on Webster Avenue, south landfill - The Press-Times - October 29th, 2021
- 23 Thanksgiving Makeup Ideas That Pair Well With Pumpkin Pie - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 29th, 2021
- Kaiit On Her Epic Tattoo Collection, Musical Inspirations And Love For 1920s Makeup - The Urban List - October 17th, 2021
- Inside the techniques and ideas behind portrait tattoos - Los Angeles Times - October 17th, 2021
- Mama June, 42, teases new boo then cozies up to handsome tattoo artist after relationship with boy toy Ti... - The US Sun - October 17th, 2021
- Tattoo their name on your body if you love them. Get their face if you really care - Yahoo News - October 17th, 2021
- How Inked made its mark on local television history - The Spinoff - October 5th, 2021
- 13 Latinx-Owned Beauty Brands to Support Now and Always - Vogue - October 5th, 2021
- The Best Mens Makeup? 5 Pros Share Their Go-To Picks - Vogue - September 1st, 2021
- He's All That Ending, Explained: Do Padgett and Cameron End Up Together? - The Cinemaholic - September 1st, 2021
- Tattoos in the Workplace in 2021 - Fife Free Press - September 1st, 2021
- News to note : Women in Afghanistan fear for their lives and futures, trouble at Times Up & more - Boss Betty - August 20th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Reveals Dramatic Head Tattoo After Shaving off His Hair - PopCulture.com - August 20th, 2021
- 24 of the best beauty products on Amazon that are worth adding to cart - CNN - August 20th, 2021
- This Woman Covered Her Face and Body Tattoos to See if Her Family Would Recognize Her - menshealth.com - August 20th, 2021
- We Tried 8 Viral TikTok Beauty Trends To See If They Really Work - Todayuknews - Todayuknews - August 20th, 2021
- 7 New Netflix Shows You Can Watch This Weekend - Best Life - August 6th, 2021
- Ink positive: how tattoos can heal the mind as well as adorn the body - The Guardian - August 6th, 2021
- 18 Celebs Who Have Looked Back At Their Iconic Past Looks And Gone, "Never Again" - BuzzFeed - August 6th, 2021
- Graphic Eyeliner Is The Makeup Trend You Need Right Now - OK! - July 22nd, 2021
- Permanent makeup: Give yourself a winter beauty boost - New Zealand Herald - July 22nd, 2021
- Celebrities Who Have Had Tattoos Removed: Stars Who Have Undergone the Painful Laser Process - Life&Style Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Watch This Man React to Seeing His Girlfriend Without Face Tattoos for the First Time - menshealth.com - July 8th, 2021
- Which Kardashian-Jenners Have Tattoos? Photos of Khloe, Rob, Kylie, Kendall and Kris Ink - Life&Style Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Marion to adopt body art regulations | Sippican - Sippican Week - July 8th, 2021
- Ludacris On Why He Ditched Plan To Get Covered In Tattoos - AllHipHop - July 8th, 2021
- Brooke Shields on her iconic brows and her definition of self-care - Glossy - July 8th, 2021
- 7 Best Lip Stains That Give You A Popsicle Finish - MissMalini - July 8th, 2021
- Skin Check-In with Dr. Will: The Top-Requested Aesthetic Procedures and Treatments for Summer 2021 - Life&Style Weekly - June 26th, 2021
- Viral video of full body tattoo transformation shows the power of a good makeup artist - Digital Journal - June 26th, 2021
- How to use viral Rampage tattoo filter on TikTok and Instagram - Dexerto - June 9th, 2021
- 7 Reasons to Venture Into the Cosmetics Industry - ABCmoney.co.uk - May 28th, 2021
- The answer to eyebrows gone wrong on Jessops Journeys - ABC 4 - May 28th, 2021
- Iconic 90s Beauty Products That Are Being Revived in 2021 - Femina - May 28th, 2021
- Best Sunscreen for Year-Round UV Protection - Popular Science - May 28th, 2021
- Teen Mom 2s Briana DeJesus is getting serious with boyfriend Javi See photo of them from the reunion - Monsters and Critics - May 28th, 2021
- Landon Barker Gushes Over Kourtney K.'s 'Fire' Tattoo on Travis - In Touch Weekly - May 16th, 2021
- Aesthetic tattoos that cover scars and beautify, how to get one safely? Explica .co - Explica - May 16th, 2021
- James Charles is being sued, Cara Delevingne is auctioning off a NFT of her vagina, and other beauty news - Buro 24/7 Singapore - May 16th, 2021
- Britain's 'Most Tattooed Woman' Covered Up All of Her Ink for a Day - menshealth.com - May 4th, 2021
- Mama June: June Shannon gives Parenting Advice Shares Dos And Donts; Know Which Negative Comment Bothered Her The Most - TV Season Spoilers - May 4th, 2021
- Tinkerbell with tattoos, inked Incredibles; Disney to allow visible tattoos on cast members - WKRG News 5 - April 19th, 2021
- The Ron Swanson Mistake You Never Noticed In Parks And Recreation - Looper - April 4th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Reveals Creative Use For David Bowie Tattoo - The Inquisitr News - April 4th, 2021
- Watch Travis Barkers Daughter Alabama Cover Up His Face Tattoos With Makeup - menshealth.com - April 4th, 2021
- Is There KVD Beauty Without Kat Von D? - The Business of Fashion - March 8th, 2021
- What Is Microshading? Heres What To Know About the No-Maintenance, Feathery Brows Everyones Talking About - Well+Good - March 8th, 2021
- Jennifer Aniston finally reveals the meaning behind her '11 11' wrist tattoo - Cosmopolitan UK - March 8th, 2021
- Popular new makeup products to try in 2021 - Belfast Live - February 19th, 2021
- Woman Reacts To Seeing Boyfriend For First Time Without Tattoo-Covered Face - BroBible - February 19th, 2021
- Test Pattern Director Shatara Michelle Ford on Making Their First Film and Being Emotionally Truthful - TheStranger.com - February 19th, 2021
- Here's Why Jeffree Star's 'Delicious' Neck Tattoo Is One Of His Favorites - TheThings - February 17th, 2021
- Blue Light Body Arts to open on the bricks in spring - Hays Daily News - February 17th, 2021
- Exploring the ever-diminishing returns of the Crow franchise - The Spool - February 14th, 2021
- 'Justice League': Check out Jared Leto's freaky Joker in the trailer for Zack Snyder's new HBO Max cut - USA TODAY - February 14th, 2021
- JUSTICE LEAGUE Director Zack Snyder Addresses Absence Of The Joker's SUICIDE SQUAD Tattoos In The Snyder Cut - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - February 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder explains why Joker's tattoos were removed in Justice League - Explica - February 11th, 2021
- How TikTok communists are reclaiming the hammer and sickle - i-D - February 11th, 2021
- Why Leto's Joker Doesn't Have His "Damaged" Tattoo In Justice League - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Site of the day: Want a tattoo? You have to download this app - Explica - February 10th, 2021
- Salma Hayek Shows off Chest Tattoos for New Movie 'Bliss' - PopCulture.com - February 7th, 2021
- The rise of beauty enhancements and Maya Darwiche - Sunrise News - February 7th, 2021
- The eyes have it: Above-the-mask makeup sees pandemic surge - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2021
- BB14 promo: Salman Khan schools Abhinav for his choice of words; asks if he's 'going in the right direction' - Times Now - February 7th, 2021
- Tattoo Stamp - MILK MAKEUP | Sephora - February 6th, 2021
- Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadow - Maybelline - February 6th, 2021
- Salma Hayek flaunts new large tattoo and fans freak out - HOLA USA - February 6th, 2021
- Gigi Hadid Now Has A Tattoo Tribute To Baby Girl And It Matches Zayn Maliks - Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Bobrisky lavishes N596k while shopping for lady that tattooed him on her back - Legit.ng - February 4th, 2021
- Make-up artist Mei Pang is turning the internet into her beauty playground - Dazed - February 4th, 2021