Lincoln Countys only piercing and tattoo studio has officially hit the scene in Edgecomb.
Located at Twisted Iron Customs on Route 1, Kats Piercings and Tattoos opened on Aug. 25 after a long summer of renovations.
Kat Stewart, a body piercing practitioner since 2013, spent a year considering and preparing for the business with her long-time friend and Twisted Iron Customs owner Michael Benner.
Theres nothing in the whole Midcoast for piercing, at all, she said at her shop on Sept. 28.
Stewart currently has three full-time tattoo artists, Floyd Harper, Shane MacDougall, and Brian Frampton. While the three artists can do a wide variety of tattoos, each of them specializes in a particular style.
Harper is from New Hampshire and has 25 years of experience as a tattoo artist and particularly enjoys realistic tattoos and fine lines. Frampton has been tattooing for 24 years and specializes in New School-style tattoos, which feature bright colors and a graffiti-like quality. MacDougall has been tattooing for nearly six years and specializes in lettering and American traditional-style tattoos, which feature clean, dark lines and vivid colors with minimal shading.
Theyre all versatile; they can all do everything, Stewart said.
An accomplished and well-regarded body piercing practitioner across central and Midcoast Maine in her own right, Stewart said she can do any piercings and has performed as many as 25 to 40 piercings a day in the past.
Stewart began her career teaching cosmetology, with a focus on anatomy and physiology, at a school in Portland, and when there was demand for a female piercer at the tattoo shop where her ex-husband worked, she took up an apprenticeship as a piercing practitioner. She fell in love with the occupation, and it wasnt long before she was piercing full time.
I love the diversity One minute Ill have a nose walk through the door and the next minute Ill have a microdermal or Ill have an ear or Ill have somebody come in that has an issue with one of their piercings, Stewart said.
Although her shop only hit the scene a month ago, Stewart said she is already booking appointments out to November.
However, the road to opening the shop was not an easy one. The building her shop resides in on the Twisted Iron complex was left dormant and in a state of disrepair. The entire interior had to be gutted down to the studs.
New walls, new floors, new plumbing, new electrical. Im not joking, Stewart said.
Stewarts partner, Anthony Luce, took care of most of the renovations with her and Benner, and he serves as the shops manager.
As a result of their efforts, the new interior is unrecognizable from its past life. The shops gray walls and burnt wood trim complement the black leather tattoo and piercing chairs, speaking to Stewarts effort to create a calm, welcoming atmosphere.
I just want people to feel comfortable when they come in. I know there are some shops that are really loud and play a little more aggressive music, Stewart said.
Stewart said her working relationship with Benner, whose shop sits less than 20 feet away, has been immensely positive and symbiotic.
Hell send people over this way and Ive had people come here asking for Mike, she said.
Stewarts shop is the latest addition to the Twisted Iron family after bringing in Atomic Shakes, a seasonal milkshake business, in July. At the shop on Sept. 28, Benner said the studio has already been a huge draw for new patrons.
So far Ive heard nothing but real good things about their artwork and their piercings. Theres always someone looking for her, everybodys chasing her down, he said.
Benner said that his goal for Twisted Iron Customs is to turn it into a destination along Route 1 where visitors can stop for a bite to eat, get their cars worked on, or get a piercing or a tattoo.
Stewart has big plans for the shops future as she continues to invest in their shop, its services, and her inventory of jewelry.
She and Benner said that they will continue to work on the exterior of the shop, as they plan to add a deck on the outside for additional waiting space. She is also planning to hold an official grand opening event in October.
Kats Piercings and Tattoos is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and offers both walk-in services and appointments.
For more information about the shop and the artists portfolios, visit Kats Piercings & Tattoos on Facebook.
The rest is here:
- Meet the artist etching memorial tattoos for people who lost loved ones to COVID-19 - Los Angeles Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Mastering the needle: From the dark side to Buddhism and beyond - Otago Daily Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Boulders TGTHR formerly Attention Homes aims to end cycle of youth homelessness - The Denver Post - November 23rd, 2021
- Hafthor Bjornsson in Scotland for training camp as Eddie Hall shows off explosive power and tells Thor... - talkSPORT.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Before getting them, think of how you'll feel about those tattoos when you're 40 or 60 - Paris Post Intelligencer - November 23rd, 2021
- Iconic street artist Big Sleeps and Ford came together to create a cultural twist for ComplexCon - Rolling Out - November 23rd, 2021
- Down the rabbit hole - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - November 23rd, 2021
- 'The Curse of Von Dutch': Who Are Bobby Vaughn, Mike Cassel, Ed Boswell, and Tonny Srensen? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2021
- 10 To Follow: Amazing Tattoo Artists On Instagram For Inspiration On Your Next Ink - AUGUSTMAN - November 9th, 2021
- Christina Haack Reveals She's Getting 'New Ink' on Her Wrist From Celebrity Tattoo Artist - PEOPLE - November 9th, 2021
- 'More than skin deep': The sacred art of handpoke tattoo with Stephanie Big Eagle - WTHR - November 9th, 2021
- The Future of Fashion Is Wearing Iconic Chairs From the Past - Architectural Digest - November 9th, 2021
- Home-based projects are part of an artful journey - The Recorder - November 9th, 2021
- Im Working More With White Flesh and Toxicity: Watch Artist Doreen Garner Explain Why She Embraced a New Approach After 2020 - artnet News - November 9th, 2021
- So you ask the tattoo artist for Jesus and you get James Harden with a crown of thorns - Deadspin - November 9th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - October 29th, 2021
- Tattoo Artist | Requirements | Salary | Jobs || The Art ... - October 29th, 2021
- 2021 Tattoo Prices | Average Tattoo Costs (by Size & Examples) - October 29th, 2021
- Scott Campbell (tattoo artist) - Wikipedia - October 29th, 2021
- Riverhead's Vibes Ink brings tattoo artistry to the North Fork - Northforker - October 29th, 2021
- Tattoo artist horrified after seeing portrait of mans girlfriend then meeting the woman whos been sin... - The US Sun - October 29th, 2021
- Destination Ink: Six of the Best Tattoo Artists From Around the Globe - GQ Magazine - October 29th, 2021
- West Allis tattoo artist gives renewed confidence, hope and healing to breast cancer survivors - WTMJ - October 29th, 2021
- Emerging Gear Halloween Edition: Frankenstein Trainers, Mummy Bag, 'Socktober,' and More | 2021-10-28 - GearJunkie - October 29th, 2021
- Tattoo Designs - Tattoo.com - October 17th, 2021
- Emailing A Tattoo Artist: 7 Important Details To Send ... - October 17th, 2021
- Tattoo artist shares common inkings that clients 'will be left regretting' - The Mirror - October 17th, 2021
- At this plant-filled Denver tattoo shop, every artist is either a woman or non-binary - The Denver Post - October 17th, 2021
- Angus tattoo artist guilty of devastating assault - The Courier - October 17th, 2021
- Dwayne Johnson's Biggest Tattoo Is Also the Most Meaningful - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 17th, 2021
- Tony Fitzpatrick returns to College of DuPage for one last museum show, but 'it's not the end of anything' - Daily Herald - October 17th, 2021
- If This 2016 Rotherham Buttock Tattoo Story Doesn't Make You Cry... - 2oceansvibe News - October 17th, 2021
- Flushing Town Hall's Art Gallery Reopens to the Public with 'Communicating Beyond Words' - Western Queens Gazette - October 17th, 2021
- People Keep Getting QR Codes Tattooed on Their Body - VICE - October 17th, 2021
- October art exhibitions, events, pop-ups and shows in L.A. - Los Angeles Times - October 17th, 2021
- Meet Stacie-Rae Weir, the Breast Cancer Tattoo Artist and Teacher - InStyle - October 5th, 2021
- Euphoria Tattoos, artist using permanent ink to help people share a part of themselves with the world - WTXL ABC 27 - October 5th, 2021
- West Park Style and Ink turns scissors on red ribbon in Avon Lake - cleveland.com - October 5th, 2021
- Truth and reconciliation should be about actions not vacations: Steveston tattoo artist - Richmond News - October 5th, 2021
- Isle of Wight fundraising event to support the Mastectomy Tattooing Alliance - On The Wight - October 5th, 2021
- I was young, dumb and got a tattoo of my ex's name. My current guy can't seem to get over it. - Anchorage Daily News - October 5th, 2021
- Remember the dead alligator in the pink dumpster? Now it's a tattoo - KTBS - October 5th, 2021
- Objects 'fly across room' of haunted Chichester shop - Chichester Observer - October 5th, 2021
- How Lip Blushing Can Alter the Look of Your Lips - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 5th, 2021
- Mayor Bowser Presents the 36th Annual Mayor's Arts Awards, Celebrating Washington, DC's Artistic and Creative Communities | mayormb - Executive Office... - October 5th, 2021
- Find the best Seattle hotel for your next vacation (or staycation) - USA Today 10Best - October 5th, 2021
- Flushing Town Hall's Art Gallery Reopens To The Public This October With New Exhibition, 'Communicating Beyond Words' - Broadway World - October 5th, 2021
- Dublin tattoo artist reveals worrying portrait someone had done - Q102 - September 1st, 2021
- Pandemic Woes and a YOLO Mentality Have Ignited a Boom Time for Tattoo Artists - TIME - September 1st, 2021
- Jake Paul will have tattoo artist on location for bet with Tyron Woodley - WKYC.com - September 1st, 2021
- Love Islands Dale shows off new butterfly neck inking from tattoo artist Abi... - The Scottish Sun - September 1st, 2021
- Mad Mike Ink Adds the Astanza Duality to Offer Laser Tattoo Removal and Tattoo Modification in Flushing, New York - Yahoo Finance - September 1st, 2021
- Erie tattoo artists reflect on business during COVID-19. Here's how they're moving forward - GoErie.com - September 1st, 2021
- Bodies of Art: 4th tattoo expo brings artists, clients to Paris - Paris News - September 1st, 2021
- A new artist studio and tattoo shop coming to the Village of West Greenville | GVLtoday - AVLtoday - September 1st, 2021
- The Beautiful Reason Guy Fieri Was Brought To Tears Before Getting This Special New Tattoo - Mashed - September 1st, 2021
- Former Raptor Danny Green's new tattoo shows he is still madly in love with Toronto - blogTO - September 1st, 2021
- Demi Lovato inks large 'love' tattoo on their hand - Page Six - September 1st, 2021
- Plano native finds meaning, career through art community in Tyler - Tyler Morning Telegraph - September 1st, 2021
- Artists converge in Salt Lake City for Utah Arts Festival after year off - fox13now.com - September 1st, 2021
- Bucs fans head to local tattoo artist to commemorate Super Bowl 55 win - ABC Action News - August 20th, 2021
- Second Tattoo Artist Revealed in the Indian Motorcycle X No Regrets Collaboration - Motorcycle.com - August 20th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Has a New Tattoo, and Her Dad's One-Word Reaction Is Making Us LOL - POPSUGAR - August 20th, 2021
- Manny Pacquiao protege Mark Magsayo wants to be the next great Filipino fighter - ESPN - August 20th, 2021
- Roman Reigns Still Aims to Be a Source of Inspiration, Even After Turning Heel - Sports Illustrated - August 20th, 2021
- I thought my Little Mermaid tattoo was going to kill me after infection burst through ink... - The Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Up Close and On the Ground With Canada's Intrepid Tree Planters - Atlas Obscura - August 20th, 2021
- Teen Mom Briana DeJesus confirms split from fiance Javi Gonzalez & reveals reason why just two months... - The US Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Jake Paul vs. Tyron Woodley: Start Times, Perspectives, Fighting Rules, and Everything You Need to Know - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 20th, 2021
- Michigan's tattoo parlor sexual assault problem and the activists intervening - People's World - August 6th, 2021
- Fish Ladder Tattoo Company, Eclectic Tattoo cut ties with artists after allegations of misconduct - WSYM-TV - August 6th, 2021
- Gordon Ramsay reacts to super fan who got his face tattooed on her arm in hilarious viral video - Scottish Daily Record - August 6th, 2021
- Photos: Some tattoo shops see increased business during the pandemic - STLtoday.com - August 6th, 2021
- Stratford tattoo studio, art gallery moving to a new location - CTPost - August 6th, 2021
- Everything you need to know on the Nas Daily debacle - Yahoo Philippines News - August 6th, 2021
- Photos: DC Residents Show Off Their Pandemic Tattoos - Washingtonian - August 6th, 2021
- BLK + BRWN debuts KC's first smart bookstore with a twist: 'I wanted to be as Black as possible' - Startland News - August 6th, 2021
- What Are Hand Poked Tattoos And Should You Get One? - Man's World India - August 6th, 2021
- Briana DeJesus' Fiance Accused of Being 'Bizarre' - Heavy.com - August 6th, 2021
- Touring the Garfield County Detention Facility - Aspen Daily News - August 6th, 2021