Photo: Ethan Miller/2010 Getty Images
In the last year, Austin C. Pratt-Fusari, a tattoo artist at Sacred Tattoo on Broadway, has noticed a resurgence in lower-back tattoos. Women in particular, he said, are coming in and asking for so-called tramp stamps again more than they have in about a decade.
When I first started tattooing around 2005, they were quite common, recalls Pratt-Fusari. But then, probably around 2011, they just stopped.
Men and women have been tattooing their lower backs in one way or another since forever. But the tramp stamp, specifically, became a thing in the late 90s and early 2000s, when the eras biggest celebrities Britney Spears, Aaliyah, Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan all started getting tattoos of butterflies and crosses and such on their lower backs, and flaunting them with fashions of the day like crop tops and low-rise jeans.
Inevitably, the Y2K aesthetic fell out of favor not to mention the word tramp, which is steeped in misogyny and the pendulum eventually swung toward a more minimalist, more covered-up style. By 2013, Nicole Richie had gotten her lower-back tattoo removed, saying, It just means a certain thing, and I dont want to be part of that group.
But now, after a year and a half of a pandemic, the tramp stamp is being welcomed back with open arms, it seems, along with Y2K style in general. Earlier this year, Paloma Wool released a capsule collection that was an ode to lower-back tattoos of the 90s. Time to Get a Tramp Stamp, read a Jezebel headline in April of 2020. And just this past month, Collina Strada showed belts inspired by lower-back tattoos for its spring 2022 collection.
The jewelry we did this season is not only a nod to Y2K trends but also a cheeky gesture to a lot of my friends, some of whom are embracing the tattoos they got as teens, and others who are revisiting the idea now that theyre adults, designer Hillary Taymour told the Cut.
Miley Cyrus also revealed what seemed to be a fresh a lower-back tattoo this summer. I dont know what yall wanna see more, she wrote in an Instagram post. My back tat or me in concert!
Years ago, trend forecasters predicted that low-rise jeans would return in 2020, as Gen Z discovered the Y2K aesthetic for the first time, and as the siren song of unflattering pants began to wear off on millennials. But did low-rise jeans and crop tops and exposed thongs come first, and then lower back tattoos? (This is what happened in 2002, according to the Wall Street Journal.) Or was it the other way around?
I think on a surface level, theres the Y2K thing with low-rise jeans, said Phoebe Satterwhite, a 21-year-old full-time hand-poke tattoo artist living in Bushwick, who decided to get a tramp stamp earlier this year when another artist, whose lower-back work artist she admired, announced that she was visiting New York. (Shes certainly been wearing more low-rise bottoms than she was before she got the tattoo.)
But on a deeper level, its also about sexual liberation and taking back the idea that being a tramp is a bad thing, she added of the trend, pointing to the rise in 2020 of Bimbo TikTok (or BimboTok for short), an online community aimed at reclaiming the word, and celebrating hyper-femininity.
Ella Rene, 20, a student in New York who has been thinking about getting a lower-back tattoo this year, noticed that when she brought up the idea to her friends, they were a lot more accepting. I used to get weird looks, but now every time I mention it to someone, theyre like, Oh, yeah, definitely. Do that. Originally, she wanted a flaming butterfly on her lower back as an ironic joke, inspired by the influencer Mara Bernad, who got something similar in June. But the more I thought about it, Rene said, the more I was like, Wait, this is actually really cute.
The images may be the same butterflies, lotus flowers, filigree but the design of lower back tattoos today is generally much thinner and softer more flow according to both Pratt-Fusari and Phoebe, who says this aesthetic will probably age better.
In many ways, a lot has changed in the last ten years. Its generally accepted that having a tramp stamp doesnt make you a tramp but if thats what youre going for, thats cool, too. Tattoos have also become less taboo in general, and continue to grow in popularity.
Theyve become more of a fashion statement, without really the thought of the permanence of the idea, said Pratt-Fusari. Lately, hes been doing cover-ups for clients who got a tattoo maybe three months ago, as opposed to three years ago, and who just want to try something different.
Mary Anderson, who runs her own consulting agency, started working with Ephemeral, a made-to-fade tattoo parlor this year. Ive always liked the idea of a tramp stamp, she said. Im a Millennial. Im a child of that era. But it was a huge commitment. A tattoo that faded over time, however, felt like less of a risk, and she was finally able to go for it. I was like, Im going to lean into it and get the most ridiculous tramp stamp that I can get, which is a Playboy bunny. My teenage hot girl desires came full circle.
If she were to ever get it done permanently, shed get it a little higher, she said, seeing that shes not a huge fan of low-rise bottoms.
The return of low-rise jeans may have been inevitable, but what no one predicted was that 2020 would also bring a global pandemic. A year ago, Pratt-Fusari would have told you that his industry was never going to bounce back. I was convinced that no one was going to want to risk doing anything mildly dangerous, he said. Tattooing is intimate work, with bodily fluids involved.
But he was wrong. Following lockdown, not only did people want tattoos again, they also seemed to crave being something of a hot mess as well, to borrow a popular Y2K phrase. They wanted to show some skin, and celebrate their bodies, as opposed to shielding them. They wanted to take risks, within reason.
I have an urge to be more fun and experimental with my appearance in general, said Rene, who got five tattoos in the past year, after moving out of her parents house. I just care so much less about what people think because I had so much time at home alone to experiment.
Its empowering to know that we have these bodies that survived this, Pratt-Fusari concluded. And maybe we want to decorate them with some designs, whether they have to do with the pandemic, or not.
Get the Cut newsletter delivered daily
Read this article:
- 14 of most beautiful castles to visit in Scotland - as seen in Outlander, Game of Thrones and James Bond - The Scotsman - November 23rd, 2021
- Grinning Prince Andrew picture kept as trophy by Jeffrey Epstein in paedo lair where he molested und... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- Tattoo PNG Images | Tattoo Transparent PNG - Vippng - November 9th, 2021
- Hes Growing Up Sooo Fast: Tia Mowrys Then-and-Now Photos of Son Cree Have Fans Stunned By How Much Hes Grown - Yahoo News - November 9th, 2021
- The 175 Best Butterfly Tattoo Ideas (2020) | Tattoo Gorilla - November 9th, 2021
- Martin Margielas art rebirth: obsession, enigma and revelation - Wallpaper* - October 29th, 2021
- South Korea's tattoo taboo is being challenged by young people, a controversial politician and boy band BTS - ABC News - October 29th, 2021
- Travis Barker's Ex Responds After He Covered Her Name With Kourtney Kardashian Lips Tattoo - Newsweek - October 29th, 2021
- Corpse Husband got matching tattoos with Emma Langevin and the internet is loving it - Dexerto - October 17th, 2021
- The Rock Made a Short Film About the Meaning of His Bull Tattoo - menshealth.com - October 5th, 2021
- Does The Weeknd Have Tattoos? - Cosmopolitan - October 5th, 2021
- Jake Paul calls out Tyron Woodleys tattoo loophole and wont commit to boxing rematch - Dexerto - October 5th, 2021
- 23 Best Halloween Tattoos Creepy and Traditional Tattoos - countryliving.com - August 20th, 2021
- Police release images of man wanted in attempted burglary - KGET 17 - August 6th, 2021
- Machine Gun Kelly Revealed That He Used To Have A Megan Fox Poster In His Teenage Bedroom - BuzzFeed - July 22nd, 2021
- Holocaust Tattoo Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty ... - July 8th, 2021
- 100+ Best Tattoo Designs and Symbols for Men & Women 2021 - July 8th, 2021
- 110 Best Compass Tattoo Designs, Ideas and Images - July 8th, 2021
- Henna Tattoo Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images - July 8th, 2021
- The Sachs Program announces winners of AAPI grants | Penn Today Fourteen projects will be funded as - Penn Today - July 8th, 2021
- Rihanna Covered Up The Matching Tattoo She Got With Drake - BuzzFeed - June 26th, 2021
- Jada Pinkett-Smith reveals matching tattoos with daughter Willow & mother Adrienne - Capital XTRA - May 28th, 2021
- Ohio Cold Case: Age-Progression Photo Released To Help Public - Patch.com - May 16th, 2021
- Age-Progression image released in Megan Lancaster case - Record Herald - May 16th, 2021
- 10 of the best talented Calgary tattoo artists to get inked by | Curated - Daily Hive - March 8th, 2021
- CURTIS HONEYCUTT: With friends like these ... | Features | albanyherald.com - The Albany Herald - February 17th, 2021
- Stephen Bear branded sick by fans for pretending girlfriend was pregnant with twins with scan ripped off Goo - The Sun - February 10th, 2021
- Local tattoo shops see increase in business as the COVID-19 pandemic continues - The Morning Sun - February 7th, 2021
- Nagaland Locals Shift House On Foot, Watch Video: Trending Topics, Viral Videos and Funny Memes of The Day - LatestLY - February 7th, 2021
- Justice League's Snyder Cut Is Fixing The Most Hated Part Of Leto's Joker - Screen Rant - February 4th, 2021
- Anderson: Sarasota fugitive still running, only now the chase is on to catch him - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 30th, 2021
- Married teacher found guilty of having sex with student in a field - Yahoo News Australia - January 30th, 2021
- 23 Fun Long Nail Designs to Copy in 2021 - The Trend Spotter - January 30th, 2021
- One Of The Proud Boys Who Stormed The Capitol Had Instructions For Making Guns And Bombs In His Home, FBI Says - BuzzFeed News - January 30th, 2021
- These Amazing Quilters Will Inspire You To Take Up A New Pandemic Hobby - HuffPost Canada - January 30th, 2021
- Tattoo industry striving to safely ink their way through pandemic - KXXV News Channel 25 - January 25th, 2021
- Former Xbox, SEGA, And EA Head Peter Moore Returns To Gaming - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2021
- Feds: Man arrested near US Capitol had truckload of weapons - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 15th, 2021
- Tattoo artists share 6 of their favorite designs to ink, and 5 they don't really like - Yahoo News - January 12th, 2021
- US Capitol riot: the myths behind the tattoos worn by 'QAnon shaman' Jake Angeli - The Conversation UK - January 12th, 2021
- The Myths Behind the Tattoos Worn by 'QAnon Shaman' Jake Angeli - Snopes.com - January 12th, 2021
- Khanyi Mbaus racy tattoo has got the timeline buzzing - All4Women - January 12th, 2021
- Records: Alabama man on bond arrested after Capitol riot - Daily Mountain Eagle - January 12th, 2021
- How Memorial Tattoos Can Help With The Grieving Process - HuffPost - January 9th, 2021
- A radish in a tutu walking a dog? This AI can draw it really well - ABC17News.com - January 9th, 2021
- Stefflon Don Shows Off Upper Thigh Tattoo In Gucci Swimsuit During Ghana Vacation - The Inquisitr - January 9th, 2021
- George Gerdes, Bosch and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo actor, dies at 72 - Yahoo Entertainment - January 5th, 2021
- Taking a look at the Most Useful Android Apps - Programming Insider - January 5th, 2021
- Suspects charged in connection with Steelton shooting - PennLive - January 5th, 2021
- Skin in the game: why getting a tattoo helped me achieve my goals - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2021
- How the Networks Will Fill Airtime on a Quiet New Years Eve - The New York Times - December 31st, 2020
- Why Werent We All Invited To Neymars New Years Eve Party? - The18 - December 31st, 2020
- Mars is revealing its angel, devil and heart "tattoos" as ice melts at its south pole - SYFY WIRE - December 27th, 2020
- Turn Your RPG Character's Into Inked Showcases With The Tome of Mystical Tattoos - TheGamer - December 27th, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Irish Sun - December 23rd, 2020
- Bloke asks for his mums advice on what tattoo to get and takes her answer WAY too seriously - The Sun - December 21st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Face Tattoos, Ranked - TheGamer - December 17th, 2020
- The 25 Best Latin Songs of 2020: Staff Picks - Billboard - December 17th, 2020
- Cardi B Is Being Sued For The Use Of A Tattoo On Her Album Cover - mit inc - December 12th, 2020
- This Mom Tattooed Her Toddler & We're Actually On Board With It - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 12th, 2020
- Inked for The Very First Time: Madonna shares behind-the-scenes photos of first tattoo at 62 - The Independent - December 9th, 2020
- Keke Palmer Showcases Upper Thigh Tattoo In Tiny Plaid Dress & Leather Knee-High Boots - The Inquisitr - December 8th, 2020
- Sophie Turner shares a never-before-seen photo with Joe Jonas from her pregnancy - Insider - INSIDER - December 6th, 2020
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Or Memphis Depay Or Sergio Ramos: Whos Got The Best Tattoo On Their Back? - IWMBuzz - December 3rd, 2020
- Oliver Peck Net Worth | What is Tattoo Artist Oliver Peck's Net Worth? - The Cinemaholic - December 2nd, 2020
- Rulers of the Upper Realm, Thunderbirds Are Powerful Native Spirits - National Audubon Society - December 1st, 2020
- Through Positive Eyes: living with HIV and Aids - a photo essay - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- A Life On Our Planet: 10 Behind The Scenes Facts You Need To Know - Screen Rant - November 27th, 2020
- Lockdown-defying tattoo shop raided for second time as owner wrongly cites Magna Carta - The Samford Crimson - November 27th, 2020
- EndSARS Protester Inscribes Tattoo On His Chest To Commemorate The Killing Of Nigerians At The Lekki Toll Gate (Photos) - GH Gossip - November 21st, 2020
- Born into occupation, young Afghans fear the Taliban will crush their freedoms when US troops exit - The Bakersfield Californian - November 21st, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - FOX 28 Spokane - November 20th, 2020
- BEST PLACES TO GET TATTOOS ON YOUR BODY - Artvoice - November 16th, 2020
- David Fincher: Studios don't want to make anything that can't make billions - lcbcradio.com - November 16th, 2020
- Family Fun: Rocking joy into the world with vibrantly painted rocks - The Spokesman-Review - November 16th, 2020
- The Inconclusive World of Tattoos in the Workplace - Fordham Observer - November 12th, 2020
- Police issue CCTV images of three men over incident on train via Dalmuir - Clydebank Post - November 12th, 2020
- Images released of men after rammy on board Glasgow train - Glasgow Times - November 11th, 2020
- 'I'd been avoiding looking at myself': Breast cancer survivors reveal how mastectomy tattoos changed them - 7NEWS.com.au - November 11th, 2020
- Red Notice: Ryan Reynolds Edits Young Versions of Him & Dwayne Johnson Into Image - Screen Rant - October 31st, 2020