Tattoos are very painful for some people, while others may experience less pain. Tattoos can also hurt more on certain body parts.
For a permanent tattoo, the tattoo artist will inject tattoo ink, which contains tiny colorful particles, into the dermis layer of the skin. The microneedle injections of ink into the skin can cause a burning or stinging sensation during the tattoo procedure.
Keep reading to learn about what it feels like to get a tattoo, which areas are more sensitive, and how to reduce pain before, during, and after a tattoo.
Depending on the location of the tattoo and an individuals pain tolerance, people may have different experiences when getting a tattoo.
While the tattooist injects ink into the skin with the tattoo pen, the person may experience burning or stinging on the area.
The tattooist draws the outline of the tattoo design with the tattoo pen, then, depending on the design, they will shade in some areas with color or contrast. Some people describe the feeling of the outlining as more painful than shading, but each person will have their own experience with tattooing.
Permanent tattoos and permanent makeup are two types of tattoo that require needle injections of ink into the skin. Permanent makeup is a type of permanent tattoo that people use around the eyes, lips, or eyebrows to look like makeup.
Tattoo artists use needles to inject ink into the dermis layer of the skin. This method of tattooing is permanent, though medical procedures such as laser treatment can remove a tattoo from the skin.
Applying tattoo ink into the dermis layer damages the skin and causes blood clots to form, which creates bruising. The person will need to take care of the area after the tattoo is complete to prevent infections.
After getting a tattoo, the damaged skin swells up. This is the bodys natural mechanism for protecting the skin from further damage and helping it heal. However, this swelling can make the area feel more painful or tender.
Other tattoo methods, such as henna tattoos and decal temporary tattoos, are not painful. These are not permanent tattoos.
Factors that affect how painful it is for a person to get a tattoo include:
Some people report that the outline work is more painful than the shading of color. Others may find the shading and coloring work more painful. This depends on the persons tolerance to pain.
Some researchers suggest that males and females experience pain differently. Specific studies on pain from tattooing are lacking, but increasing evidence supports the idea that females have increased sensitivity to pain compared with males.
The biological explanation for this difference is currently unclear.
People tend to believe that tattooing an area that has little fat is more painful than tattooing an area with more fat. Although this may be true, these claims are based on personal experience rather than scientific evidence.
According to anecdotal evidence, tattoos on the following areas seem to hurt less:
These areas tend to have more muscle and fat, which can help reduce the painful sensations of tattooing.
Areas that have more nerve endings may be more painful to tattoo.
These areas might include:
These areas may be more painful due to increased density of nerve endings, the presence of a major nerve, or because the skin is very thin with little fat.
The pain associated with tattooing should be most intense during the procedure itself. Once the procedure is complete, the person may feel bruising and soreness on the affected area from swelling. Swelling can last up to a week.
The pain may last for longer if the tattoo becomes infected. Learn how to identify a tattoo infection here.
Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen, may help ease the pain following a tattooing procedure. However, it is unclear if acetaminophen can effectively prevent pain from tattooing procedures.
Instead, some tattoo artists recommend topical skin-numbing products. These products may contain 5% lidocaine.
That said, there is a possibility of experiencing a contact allergy from products such as these. A person should have their tattoo artist apply the product to a small area of skin 24 hours before the procedure, to see whether or not it causes a reaction.
It is also important to follow manufacturer directions for the maximum dose limits, especially when applying topical products to large areas of the skin.
Once the procedure is complete, the tattoo artist should provide self-care steps and explain how to deal with any pain after the procedure. The pain should decrease with time and resolve after about a week.
If the pain persists or worsens, the person may need to see their doctor.
Learn more about tattoo aftercare here.
People who want to get their first tattoo should do their research beforehand. Different tattoo artists and different parlors have different protocols.
Make sure that the artist is a licensed tattoo artist and that the tattoo parlor is clean. However, the American Academy of Dermatology explain that people can still develop complications even with all the proper hygiene and sterilization protocols.
Choosing an appropriate location for the tattoo may help if a person is worried about the pain associated with tattooing. Smaller tattoos often take less time to complete and therefore cause less pain.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have not approved any inks for tattooing. The FDA also do not regulate practices in tattoo parlors. State or local health authorities are usually responsible for these practices.
The FDA monitor problems from tattoos and alert the public when a problem occurs, such as a recall of a particular ink. People who want to get a tattoo should research issues concerning tattoo parlors and ink products that may be dangerous.
Following the aftercare tips the tattoo artist provides should also help prevent infections.
Some suggest that tattoo removal is more painful than getting tattooed. Again, although this may be true, it is based on personal experience rather than scientific evidence.
Dermatologists usually use lasers to remove tattoos because of the permanent nature of a tattoo. Laser treatment is the most common tattoo removal technique.
Lasers work by targeting the ink particles suspended in the skin with light waves that heat the particles and cause them to break down. Once the particles are in small enough pieces, the bodys immune system will clear them away.
People typically need more than one laser treatment to remove a tattoo. Some colors are more difficult to remove, so one treatment may not remove them entirely.
Some people describe laser treatment as like having a heavy rubber band snapped against the skin repeatedly. Before laser treatment, however, people can apply topical skin-numbing agents to reduce the pain.
Surgical techniques are also effective in removing tattoos, but these may also involve pain. Surgical techniques include:
Tattooing tends to be a painful procedure because tattoo artists use needles to inject ink into the dermis layer of the skin. The injections cause localized swelling and damage to the skin.
Once the tattoo procedure is over, the area may be sore for about a week before the swelling goes down.
Some areas of the body are more painful to tattoo than others, and some people may be more sensitive to pain than others.
Anyone with persistent or worsening pain after a tattoo procedure should seek medical attention.
See original here:
- Connecticut Tattoo Removal Brings Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal to North Haven, Connecticut Featuring the Astanza Trinity and DESCRIBE PFD Patch... - November 23rd, 2021
- Teen Mom Ashley Jones reveals she was secretly in a relationship with a woman for four years before... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- Removery Opens New Tattoo Removal Location in Oklahoma City - PR Web - November 9th, 2021
- Dermatology PA-C Rebecca Sklar of Advanced Dermatology PC with Tips on Tattoo Removal - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 29th, 2021
- Modified Tattoo Gallery Delivers Superior Laser Tattoo Removal and Fading for Cover Ups with the Astanza - Benzinga - October 17th, 2021
- Laser tattoo removal: How it works, how long it takes and side effects - Metro.co.uk - October 17th, 2021
- Teen Moms Bar Smith wears sweater & gold chain after starting laser treatment to remove face tattoos in m... - The Sun - October 5th, 2021
- Ink Eraser is the Brings Superior Laser Tattoo Removal to Cranberry Township, PA Featuring the Astanza - GlobeNewswire - October 5th, 2021
- Main Benefits of Pico Laser: Pigmentation Removal, Skin Whitening and Skin Rejuvenation at V Medical Aesthetics and Laser Clinic in Singapore -... - October 5th, 2021
- Rethinking the ink: Austin company aims to be leader in tattoo removal industry - Austin American-Statesman - September 1st, 2021
- Teen Mom Ashley Jones baby daddy Bar Smith undergoes second round of lasering to remove his face tattoos i... - The US Sun - September 1st, 2021
- Ubiquity Lab Wins Removery, As The Tattoo Removal Service Launches In Australia - B&T - August 20th, 2021
- Surgical Laser Devices Market: Urology segment held major market share due to rise in the prevalence of urological disorders - BioSpace - July 22nd, 2021
- Thinking about getting a tattoo? Here's what you need to know before getting inked for the first time - IOL - July 8th, 2021
- Pete Davidson Is Getting All of His Tattoos Removed and Itll Take 2 More Years - Us Weekly - July 8th, 2021
- Doff & Flux On the Efficacy of Laser Tattoo Removal and Industry Impact - Digital Journal - July 8th, 2021
- Trying to Remove a Tattoo at Home Can Do More Harm Than Good - Chiang Rai Times - June 26th, 2021
- Taking your scars and making something better. Jillian Marty on Jessops Journal - ABC 4 - June 26th, 2021
- Tarnished Provides Advanced Laser Tattoo Removal and Tattoo Modification Using the Astanza Duality in Oakville, Connecticut - Yahoo Finance - June 9th, 2021
- This Is What Its Like To Get A Tattoo Removed, If You Once Had No Ragrets But Now Have Some - Pedestrian TV - June 9th, 2021
- Warren woman whose mugshots went viral shares her story of recovery - News 5 Cleveland - May 16th, 2021
- Meet ArrDee: The Brighton rapper behind TikTok's biggest song right now - The Tab - May 16th, 2021
- Laser All Brings Full-Spectrum Laser Tattoo Removal and Painless Laser Hair Removal to Westminster, CO with the Astanza Trinity and Astanza ReSmooth... - April 19th, 2021
- Regretting a tattoo? These are your options when it comes to getting rid of it - Fashion Journal - February 19th, 2021
- My Experience Lightening and ... - Tattoos & Piercings - February 14th, 2021
- 'Britain's most tattooed woman' shows what she looks like with ink covered up - Daily Star - February 6th, 2021
- Tattoo Removal Market Trends, Comprehensive Research Study, Development Status, Opportunities, Future Demand, Competitive Landscape and Growth by... - January 22nd, 2021
- Free tattoo removal event helps give people a clean break with past - Stockton Record - January 20th, 2021
- WJFW Newswatch 12 - News From Where You Live - Rhinelander Wisconsin WJFW TV-12 - WJFW-TV - January 20th, 2021
- Kat Von D tattoo cover- up revealed: Tattoo artist shows off new ink! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - December 18th, 2020
- Ribbon Cutting in Boca Raton: LifeGaines Medical and Aesthetics Center Will Receive the Lumenis Excellence Award at Their Ribbon Cutting Event Today... - December 17th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal Procedure, Benefits, and Risks - December 12th, 2020
- How Does Laser Tattoo Removal Work? 7 Facts You Need to Know - December 12th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - December 12th, 2020
- The Best Tattoo Removalists in Canberra - The RiotACT - December 6th, 2020
- Laser tattoo removal offers hope for future - December 5th, 2020
- Laser tattoo removal offers hope for future | fox43.com - December 5th, 2020
- 7 Stars Who Had to Remove Tattoos of Their Exes, From Johnny Depp to Pete Davidson (Photos) - msnNOW - December 2nd, 2020
- The Best Laser Tattoo Removalists in Canberra - The RiotACT - November 30th, 2020
- How Much Does Tattoo Removal Cost? [2020 Price Guide] - November 12th, 2020
- 7 FAQs About Laser Tattoo Removal | Blog | Balshi Dermatology - November 12th, 2020
- The MedSpa on 5th Removes Unwanted Tattoos and Skin Blemishes with the Astanza Duality in Mount Dora, Florida - PRNewswire - November 9th, 2020
- E-dermis Magnetic Tattoo Removal An Alternative Way of Tattoo Elimination - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - November 3rd, 2020
- Understanding Laser Tattoo Removal | University of Utah Health - October 29th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How Much Lasering a Tattoo Costs and Hurts ... - October 29th, 2020
- Panacea Tattoo Removal Offers a Second Chance with Laser Tattoo Removal Featuring the Astanza Duality in Grand Junction, CO - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal: From Prep to Aftercare, Heres What to Expect - HYPEBAE - October 27th, 2020
- What To Expect When You Get a Tattoo - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 2nd, 2020
- 9 Tips for Tattoo Removal Health Essentials from ... - September 28th, 2020
- Tattoo Removal Lasers: Types & Differences - September 28th, 2020
- What You Need to Know Before Tattoo Removal - - RushPRnews.com - September 26th, 2020
- These innovative regimes and therapies are worth booking well in advance - Connecticut Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Chinese Taxi Drivers Ordered To Remove Tattoos - INKED - September 22nd, 2020
- Tattoo Removal: How to, Costs, Before and After Pictures ... - September 9th, 2020
- Tattoo removal - Mayo Clinic - September 9th, 2020
- Laser Tattoo Removal - Swinyer-Woseth Dermatology - September 9th, 2020
- 6 Things Everyone Gets Wrong About Laser Tattoo Removal | SELF - September 9th, 2020
- How to Remove Your Unwanted Tattoo Permanently and Safely - Chiang Rai Times - August 25th, 2020
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Tattoo Removal | Glamour - August 22nd, 2020
- How To Remove A Permanent Tattoo: DIY Methods and Surgical ... - August 22nd, 2020
- Laser surgery - Wikipedia - August 22nd, 2020
- 'Erase The Mistake' effort addresses unwanted tattoos - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 18th, 2020
- Removery's INK-nitiative Will Remove Racist and Hate Tattoos For Free - Tyler Morning Telegraph - August 12th, 2020
- Interest In Tattoo Removal High As Removery Safely Opens Its Doors - PRNewswire - July 15th, 2020
- How to Remove a Tattoo without Laser at Home - September 13th, 2019
- Tattoo removal - Wikipedia - September 13th, 2019