Home Getting A Tattoo Emailing A Tattoo Artist: 7 Important Details To Send
The logistics involved with getting a tattoo is inevitable, whether you wish to avoid it or not. If youre looking to email a studio or an artist directly to discuss designs and start the booking process, a few tips and tricks about what to include in the email will help make the process go much smoother.
Tattoo artists have evolved over the years and most now fully embrace the advantages that technology provides!
Off the bat, you need to realize that tattoo artists generally answer emails outside of work hours. So, consider first whether visiting the shop in person is something you can make time for as thatll likely get you answers and details quicker than email.
In most situations, even if youve communicated via email, the artist will need to see you before they officially book you in. This is pretty unavoidable if you want a quality tattoo from a quality shop, so keep that in mind when you email. Exceptions to this rule include out-of-towners or people traveling to get the tattoo.
If youre looking to get a small, simple tattoo, you can go to the shop and see if they do walk-in appointments. Advanced booking and emailing arent usually required in this case.
The good news is that the information included in an email will also be necessary if you consult in person. Most of the advice below applies to both situations.
Generally, the rule of thumb in digital communication is to consolidate the information, so its easy to access again when they need it. Be clear, concise, and provide all the information that the artist will need in your email.
Its polite to send an inquiry email first to find out if theyre accepting bookings. They may not be. Some artists are so popular that they book out months, or even years in advance. If you really want to go with a specific artist, be prepared to wait, and dont assume that theyll be able to fit you in right away.
Keep the subject line of your email clear so that your artist doesnt have to wonder what you want or struggle to find the email again. Try labeling it with something like:
Make sure in the email that you give all the information about yourself straight away. Provide your:
Without coming across as too heavy, be upfront about any anxiety you have around getting a tattoo. Experienced artists will know how to deal with any limitations you may have, but only if you tell them.
Send your schedule so that the booking process can be facilitated. Depending on the job you work, maybe you have restrictions on hours/days off, or have flexibility but need notice. Including these details will help them give you an appointment that theyre comfortable with, but that also works for you.
Put all your questions in one place and at the bottom of the email.
Organizing your questions at the end of your email in one block will help your tattoo artist answer effectively. Helping them out by making it easy for them to address your concerns is very considerate. This also makes it more likely that youll get all of your questions answered and not skipped.
Explain your idea concept in its entirety. This email communication is the first chance you have to put it all on the line and get your tattoo as close to what you want, as efficiently as possible. In the end, youre less likely to get what you envisioned if you dont give a full description to start.
If you dont give them everything they need in the first message, theyll have to spend more time communicating with you to get it right. Your tattooist would prefer to get the design perfect the first time as that saves them work, and potentially extra money for you.
Remember that artists are also usually extremely busy, so try to keep the email as short as you can without losing any of the most important details. Basically, stay on track with what youre sending.
Here are some necessary details about the tattoo itself to include:
These elements will help your tattoo artist schedule you properly because it helps them understand how much time theyll need to dedicate to your tattoo.
Attach real images, not tattoo replicas, for inspiration. Anything you want to be tattooed can be translated into many styles. For that reason, send an inspiration image as opposed to a picture of a tattoo so the artist can put their stylistic spin on the idea. Only attach a picture of a tattoo if you want that style of tattooing.
Keep in mind that tattoos are technically the intellectual property of the original artist. Asking your artist to replicate an existing piece isnt considered as ethical. Communicate with your artist on how to make your idea into a masterpiece, but dont ask them to copy someone elses work.
Be patient. You have to remember that answering emails is a vital part of the artists job, but its, by no means, their highest priority. Especially if youre booking with a popular, sought after artist. Give a few weeks as leeway before emailing again and following up.
Be prepared that once you start this process and engage the talents of an artist to work on your piece, youll likely be expected to pay a booking fee (deposit) to secure your spot and ensure that theyll be paid for their work. If youre not prepared to do this, youre not ready for your tattoo yet.
Getting off on the right foot with your tattoo artist comes down to how well you communicate. Miscommunication will lead to disappointments on your end and higher stress on theirs.
To reduce these miscommunications, make sure to be clear and concise in your outreach email to a tattoo shop. Include vital details like your schedule, personal information and design ideas, and with a bit of luck, youll proceed to get tattooed by your preferred artist in the not-too-distant future.
When you eventually go ahead with getting your dream tattoo, its imperative that you always follow your tattoo artists aftercare advice closely, and be sure to invest in a high-quality tattoo healing lotion to aid recovery.
The best tattoo lotion Ive ever personally used is a vegan-friendly aftercare product calledAfter Inked Tattoo Aftercare Lotion. This stuff works amazingly well during the healing process; not only by keeping your tattoo really well hydrated, but also by soothing any annoying itching and irritation. When using it from the very start of the healing process, this lotion will help to decrease tattoo healing times, and work towards eliminating anylingering dryness and scabbing.
- Meet the artist etching memorial tattoos for people who lost loved ones to COVID-19 - Los Angeles Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Mastering the needle: From the dark side to Buddhism and beyond - Otago Daily Times - November 23rd, 2021
- Boulders TGTHR formerly Attention Homes aims to end cycle of youth homelessness - The Denver Post - November 23rd, 2021
- Hafthor Bjornsson in Scotland for training camp as Eddie Hall shows off explosive power and tells Thor... - talkSPORT.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Before getting them, think of how you'll feel about those tattoos when you're 40 or 60 - Paris Post Intelligencer - November 23rd, 2021
- Iconic street artist Big Sleeps and Ford came together to create a cultural twist for ComplexCon - Rolling Out - November 23rd, 2021
- Down the rabbit hole - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - November 23rd, 2021
- 'The Curse of Von Dutch': Who Are Bobby Vaughn, Mike Cassel, Ed Boswell, and Tonny Srensen? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2021
- 10 To Follow: Amazing Tattoo Artists On Instagram For Inspiration On Your Next Ink - AUGUSTMAN - November 9th, 2021
- Christina Haack Reveals She's Getting 'New Ink' on Her Wrist From Celebrity Tattoo Artist - PEOPLE - November 9th, 2021
- 'More than skin deep': The sacred art of handpoke tattoo with Stephanie Big Eagle - WTHR - November 9th, 2021
- The Future of Fashion Is Wearing Iconic Chairs From the Past - Architectural Digest - November 9th, 2021
- Home-based projects are part of an artful journey - The Recorder - November 9th, 2021
- Im Working More With White Flesh and Toxicity: Watch Artist Doreen Garner Explain Why She Embraced a New Approach After 2020 - artnet News - November 9th, 2021
- So you ask the tattoo artist for Jesus and you get James Harden with a crown of thorns - Deadspin - November 9th, 2021
- Aliens Tattoo | Best Tattoo Studio in Mumbai /India | Best ... - October 29th, 2021
- Tattoo Artist | Requirements | Salary | Jobs || The Art ... - October 29th, 2021
- 2021 Tattoo Prices | Average Tattoo Costs (by Size & Examples) - October 29th, 2021
- Scott Campbell (tattoo artist) - Wikipedia - October 29th, 2021
- Riverhead's Vibes Ink brings tattoo artistry to the North Fork - Northforker - October 29th, 2021
- Tattoo artist horrified after seeing portrait of mans girlfriend then meeting the woman whos been sin... - The US Sun - October 29th, 2021
- Destination Ink: Six of the Best Tattoo Artists From Around the Globe - GQ Magazine - October 29th, 2021
- West Allis tattoo artist gives renewed confidence, hope and healing to breast cancer survivors - WTMJ - October 29th, 2021
- Emerging Gear Halloween Edition: Frankenstein Trainers, Mummy Bag, 'Socktober,' and More | 2021-10-28 - GearJunkie - October 29th, 2021
- Tattoo Designs - Tattoo.com - October 17th, 2021
- Tattoo artist shares common inkings that clients 'will be left regretting' - The Mirror - October 17th, 2021
- At this plant-filled Denver tattoo shop, every artist is either a woman or non-binary - The Denver Post - October 17th, 2021
- Angus tattoo artist guilty of devastating assault - The Courier - October 17th, 2021
- Dwayne Johnson's Biggest Tattoo Is Also the Most Meaningful - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 17th, 2021
- Tony Fitzpatrick returns to College of DuPage for one last museum show, but 'it's not the end of anything' - Daily Herald - October 17th, 2021
- If This 2016 Rotherham Buttock Tattoo Story Doesn't Make You Cry... - 2oceansvibe News - October 17th, 2021
- Flushing Town Hall's Art Gallery Reopens to the Public with 'Communicating Beyond Words' - Western Queens Gazette - October 17th, 2021
- People Keep Getting QR Codes Tattooed on Their Body - VICE - October 17th, 2021
- October art exhibitions, events, pop-ups and shows in L.A. - Los Angeles Times - October 17th, 2021
- Business is Buzzing at Kat's Piercings and Tattoos in Edgecomb - The Lincoln County News - October 5th, 2021
- Meet Stacie-Rae Weir, the Breast Cancer Tattoo Artist and Teacher - InStyle - October 5th, 2021
- Euphoria Tattoos, artist using permanent ink to help people share a part of themselves with the world - WTXL ABC 27 - October 5th, 2021
- West Park Style and Ink turns scissors on red ribbon in Avon Lake - cleveland.com - October 5th, 2021
- Truth and reconciliation should be about actions not vacations: Steveston tattoo artist - Richmond News - October 5th, 2021
- Isle of Wight fundraising event to support the Mastectomy Tattooing Alliance - On The Wight - October 5th, 2021
- I was young, dumb and got a tattoo of my ex's name. My current guy can't seem to get over it. - Anchorage Daily News - October 5th, 2021
- Remember the dead alligator in the pink dumpster? Now it's a tattoo - KTBS - October 5th, 2021
- Objects 'fly across room' of haunted Chichester shop - Chichester Observer - October 5th, 2021
- How Lip Blushing Can Alter the Look of Your Lips - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 5th, 2021
- Mayor Bowser Presents the 36th Annual Mayor's Arts Awards, Celebrating Washington, DC's Artistic and Creative Communities | mayormb - Executive Office... - October 5th, 2021
- Find the best Seattle hotel for your next vacation (or staycation) - USA Today 10Best - October 5th, 2021
- Flushing Town Hall's Art Gallery Reopens To The Public This October With New Exhibition, 'Communicating Beyond Words' - Broadway World - October 5th, 2021
- Dublin tattoo artist reveals worrying portrait someone had done - Q102 - September 1st, 2021
- Pandemic Woes and a YOLO Mentality Have Ignited a Boom Time for Tattoo Artists - TIME - September 1st, 2021
- Jake Paul will have tattoo artist on location for bet with Tyron Woodley - WKYC.com - September 1st, 2021
- Love Islands Dale shows off new butterfly neck inking from tattoo artist Abi... - The Scottish Sun - September 1st, 2021
- Mad Mike Ink Adds the Astanza Duality to Offer Laser Tattoo Removal and Tattoo Modification in Flushing, New York - Yahoo Finance - September 1st, 2021
- Erie tattoo artists reflect on business during COVID-19. Here's how they're moving forward - GoErie.com - September 1st, 2021
- Bodies of Art: 4th tattoo expo brings artists, clients to Paris - Paris News - September 1st, 2021
- A new artist studio and tattoo shop coming to the Village of West Greenville | GVLtoday - AVLtoday - September 1st, 2021
- The Beautiful Reason Guy Fieri Was Brought To Tears Before Getting This Special New Tattoo - Mashed - September 1st, 2021
- Former Raptor Danny Green's new tattoo shows he is still madly in love with Toronto - blogTO - September 1st, 2021
- Demi Lovato inks large 'love' tattoo on their hand - Page Six - September 1st, 2021
- Plano native finds meaning, career through art community in Tyler - Tyler Morning Telegraph - September 1st, 2021
- Artists converge in Salt Lake City for Utah Arts Festival after year off - fox13now.com - September 1st, 2021
- Bucs fans head to local tattoo artist to commemorate Super Bowl 55 win - ABC Action News - August 20th, 2021
- Second Tattoo Artist Revealed in the Indian Motorcycle X No Regrets Collaboration - Motorcycle.com - August 20th, 2021
- Ireland Baldwin Has a New Tattoo, and Her Dad's One-Word Reaction Is Making Us LOL - POPSUGAR - August 20th, 2021
- Manny Pacquiao protege Mark Magsayo wants to be the next great Filipino fighter - ESPN - August 20th, 2021
- Roman Reigns Still Aims to Be a Source of Inspiration, Even After Turning Heel - Sports Illustrated - August 20th, 2021
- I thought my Little Mermaid tattoo was going to kill me after infection burst through ink... - The Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Up Close and On the Ground With Canada's Intrepid Tree Planters - Atlas Obscura - August 20th, 2021
- Teen Mom Briana DeJesus confirms split from fiance Javi Gonzalez & reveals reason why just two months... - The US Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Jake Paul vs. Tyron Woodley: Start Times, Perspectives, Fighting Rules, and Everything You Need to Know - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 20th, 2021
- Michigan's tattoo parlor sexual assault problem and the activists intervening - People's World - August 6th, 2021
- Fish Ladder Tattoo Company, Eclectic Tattoo cut ties with artists after allegations of misconduct - WSYM-TV - August 6th, 2021
- Gordon Ramsay reacts to super fan who got his face tattooed on her arm in hilarious viral video - Scottish Daily Record - August 6th, 2021
- Photos: Some tattoo shops see increased business during the pandemic - STLtoday.com - August 6th, 2021
- Stratford tattoo studio, art gallery moving to a new location - CTPost - August 6th, 2021
- Everything you need to know on the Nas Daily debacle - Yahoo Philippines News - August 6th, 2021
- Photos: DC Residents Show Off Their Pandemic Tattoos - Washingtonian - August 6th, 2021
- BLK + BRWN debuts KC's first smart bookstore with a twist: 'I wanted to be as Black as possible' - Startland News - August 6th, 2021
- What Are Hand Poked Tattoos And Should You Get One? - Man's World India - August 6th, 2021
- Briana DeJesus' Fiance Accused of Being 'Bizarre' - Heavy.com - August 6th, 2021
- Touring the Garfield County Detention Facility - Aspen Daily News - August 6th, 2021