The race for four seats on the Wichita school board has become a battle between the incumbents and a slate of challengers recruited by the county Republican Party. Suzanne Perez / Kansas News Service
By SUZANNE PEREZ, JIM MCLEAN and BLAISE MESAKansas News Service
WICHITA The notion of low-key elections in Kansas during odd-numbered years largely spared the attack campaigns, mysterious money and blue-versus-red rancor now feels so quaint.
Instead, school board races carry talking points about race and mask orders that would feel at home on Fox News or MSNBC. In one city in central Kansas, residents find themselves in an emotional battle over how much power local officials should have in the midst of a public health crisis. And voters in the states capital find one candidate on the ballot for city council with ties to a white supremacist group linked to the Jan. 6 siege of the U.S. Capitol.
So now people running for local office jobs where it can often prove hard to recruit volunteers to serve, much less withstand public attack find themselves in increasingly partisan-like contests settled by an ever more polarized electorate.
School board meetings across Kansas have become a battleground for protests about mask mandates, critical race theory and other issues.
That means races for hundreds of school board seats usually low-interest, low-turnout affairs draw more attention than usual this year.
The Project 1776 PAC, a New York-based political action committee, is backing dozens of candidates in seven states, including Kansas. The group has endorsed 10 candidates for school board races in Shawnee Mission, Blue Valley, Olathe and Lansing.
Project 1776 opposes the teaching of critical race theory or anything related to the 1619 Project, a New York Times initiative that aims to reframe American history by focusing on the consequences of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans.
In Wichita, the states largest school district has four seats up for grabs a board majority on Tuesday.
Incumbents have faced criticism for more than a year over COVID-19 protocols, including decisions to start last school year with remote-only classes for secondary students and to require masks in schools.
Theyre facing a slate of challengers recruited and endorsed by the Sedgwick County Republican Party who oppose mask mandates.
Both the incumbents and challengers in Wichita are campaigning as a group, which is unusual for school board races, and both are getting support from larger organizations.
A campaign flier for the incumbents was paid for by the Bluestem Fund PAC, which gets contributions from the National Education Association and other unions.
During a recent gathering at a parking lot in east Wichita, Republican state Rep. Patrick Penn rallied the challengers and their supporters. He said Kansas school districts will get more than $8 billion in federal funding for COVID relief, and theyre spending it on the wrong things.
What kind of stuff am I talking about? Im talking about critical race theory, Penn said. Im talking about anything that can be associated with depression, anti-bullying they call it social-emotional learning. Thats what the school board wants to push out there.
Judith Deedy, executive director of Game On For Kansas Schools, says shes troubled by the shift toward partisan elections all over the state.
Theres a lot of anger and frustration, particularly with COVID, and so the more traditional school board members are maybe more susceptible to being picked off right now, she said.Its misguided anger or misdirected anger at the people whove been in there and having to make some really difficult decisions.
In Salina, a town of about 50,000 in the middle of the state, an effort to limit the emergency powers of the city commission is sparking heated debate.
A group of residents angered by a mask mandate and restrictions imposed on businesses during the height of the pandemic mounted a petition drive over the summer to get the question on the Nov. 2 ballot.
This is about a lot of citizens that feel like the government overreached, said Kevin Korb, the leader of the group Salina Freedom during a recent discussion of the issue on Salina radio station KSAL.
The city commissioners are there to represent us, he said, not rule over us like kings.
A rival group, Salinans for Facts, is spearheading an effort to defeat the measure. It includes several former mayors and commissioners who argue the proposed ordinance would usurp the home-rule powers granted the city in the Kansas Constitution.
This isnt about freedom, said former Commissioner Jon Blanchard on the KSAL broadcast. This is about how we best respond to public emergencies.
Passage of the ordinance, Blanchard said, would tie the citys hands when dealing with future health crises.
I fail to see how that makes anybody more free and it certainly does not make people safer, he said.
A court challenge could prevent the ordinance from taking effect even if voters approve it. Saline County District Court Judge Paul Hickman has heard arguments in the case earlier this month but is waiting until after the election to issue a ruling.
A candidate in Topekas city council race has deep-rooted connections to the Proud Boys.
Canada labeled the Proud Boys as a terrorist organization, and the group fundraised legal defense funds for people arrested in the Capitol insurrection.
Joel Campbell, who says he left the group, was a third-degree member with a tattoo professing his allegiance to the group. He is running against incumbent Neil Dobler for Topekas a district city council seat.
Campbell was previously investigated by the states highway patrol for threats against Gov. Laura Kelly. In a now-deleted video he, without evidence, linked Kelly to running a child trafficking ring out of a pizza shop in Salina.
(Kelly) is wearing the red shoes, Campbell said in the video. They are literally throwing this (expletive) in our face. The leader of Kansas, (expletive) Kansas governor, is in on this (expletive).
Campbells social media also follows a super straight" account.
A TikTok user coined the term super straight after saying they didn't want to date transgender people. The post then gained popularity and became closely tied with transphobic posts. It has since been banned from the social media app TikTok because it is associated with hateful behavior.
The Kansas News Service is a collaboration of KCUR, Kansas Public Radio, KMUW and High Plains Public Radio focused on health, the social determinants of health and their connection to public policy.
- Jill Duggar shows off her fresh haircut & teases big changes after reality star revealed she may get a... - The Sun - November 23rd, 2021
- 30 things to know about The Pyramid as the Memphis landmark turns 30 - Commercial Appeal - November 9th, 2021
- They created monsters: How New Zealands brutal welfare system produced criminals - The Guardian - October 29th, 2021
- Alone, starved and living with a brothers corpse. Why did no one save the Texas house of horror boys? - The Independent - October 29th, 2021
- Leaked Video Helped Lead to the Conviction of a Far Right "Proud Boy" - Truthout - October 17th, 2021
- For the Flyers Kevin Hayes, his big brother will never be gone - The Delaware County Daily Times - October 17th, 2021
- The Skys The Limit, On And Off The Court, And These Girls Have Got Next - CBS Chicago - October 17th, 2021
- 8 Best Places To Get A Tattoo for Both Men and Women - TheTealMango - October 5th, 2021
- Real Madrid 1-2 Sheriff: Sebastien Thill has tattoo of himself dreaming of the UCL - GIVEMESPORT - October 5th, 2021
- #BlackInkChi Recap: Ryan Confronts Former Friend After Sleeping With His Ex, Twitter Says Hes For The Streets - HipHopWired - October 5th, 2021
- Review: At the Hella Mega Tour it was all about the cult of Green Day - pacificsandiego.com - September 1st, 2021
- Matt Willis is removing his tattoos in a bid to bag top movie roles... - The Sun - August 20th, 2021
- Lauren Phillips Reveals The Matching 'Bad Tattoo' She Has With A Scottish Boy - KIIS1011 - August 20th, 2021
- R Kelly trial hears singer is a 'predator' who lured girls, boys and young women with his fame - ABC News - August 20th, 2021
- Why Jonah Hills body love tattoo is so important for the male body positive movement - Yahoo Life - August 6th, 2021
- What's New to Stream on Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ and More in July 2021 - TV Guide - July 22nd, 2021
- Love Island: What tattoos does Danny Bibby have and what do they mean? - Metro.co.uk - July 22nd, 2021
- Capitol riot suspect arrested after giant tattoo revealed on video - The Independent - June 9th, 2021
- The Sacred Male Body Modification Practices That Still Exist Today - InsideHook - May 16th, 2021
- `We were never terrorists`: Proud Boys Canada officially dissolved` - WION - May 4th, 2021
- Farmer Boys celebrating 40th anniversary with free burger tattoo - KTNV Las Vegas - April 19th, 2021
- Here are the nine men from Hudson Valley charged with participating in Jan. 6 Capitol riot - Times Herald-Record - April 19th, 2021
- Crowdfunding Hate in the Name of Christ - The Nation - April 4th, 2021
- Guest Opinion | Reflections on the course Women Unknown: Fight for Independence - UI The Daily Iowan - April 4th, 2021
- Part 3: How a Trini played a role in the life of Nipsey Hussle - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - April 4th, 2021
- We want to keep him alive Family, friends remember San Antonios Tito Bradshaw two years later - San Antonio Express-News - April 4th, 2021
- Quick on the draw: Castagna the chaotic Tiger with a tattoo gun - The Age - April 4th, 2021
- Love Island Australias Phoebe Thompson reveals WAP lip tattoo as she celebrates birthday - The Irish Sun - March 8th, 2021
- Brave, Powerful, Complicated: The Most Formidable Heroines In Film - British Vogue - March 8th, 2021
- Jaden Hill is LSU's ace pitcher who has a bigger calling in life: 'I'm chosen to help people' - The Advocate - February 19th, 2021
- Gangland: a book about meth and the people whose lives it touches - The Spinoff - February 17th, 2021
- SA tattoo artist to the stars on taking his skill abroad - News24 - February 14th, 2021
- Memories of dad help make University of Houston's Justin Gorham a rebounding machine - Houston Chronicle - February 11th, 2021
- Tauranga's strongest head to the Highlands - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 6th, 2021
- Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys Got His Paris Hilton Tattoo Just 3 Week Before They Broke up - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 30th, 2021
- 2 Green Country Women Share Stories Through Tattoo Ink; Competing In National Contest - News On 6 - January 30th, 2021
- Gangs? Cliques? Subgroups? Call Them What You Will There've Been 18 (Yes, 18) In The LA Sheriff's Department - LAist - January 22nd, 2021
- Trump's useful thugs: how the Republican party offered a home to the Proud Boys - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 20th, 2021
- Who are Proud Boys? The Western chauvinist far-right group explained and what Donald Trump has previously said about them - The Scotsman - January 15th, 2021
- Theyve been hidden too long: Report details Los Angeles Sheriffs deputy gangs and violence toward communities of color - East Bay Times - January 15th, 2021
- Hawaii Proud Boy Charged By DOJ After Raiding US Capitol - Honolulu Civil Beat - January 9th, 2021
- Swimming With My Shirt Off - The New York Times - January 9th, 2021
- How the Internet Reflected on and Coped With the Capitol Attack - Hyperallergic - January 9th, 2021
- The Weekly-ish Mailbag is mailing it in this week. - Off Tackle Empire - December 31st, 2020
- Four months before her wedding, Mary knew it was over - Sydney Morning Herald - December 19th, 2020
- Family, determination and a dream: The Real Woods story - The Stanford Daily - December 16th, 2020
- Skating solo gives me time to study everyone else on the rink - The Globe and Mail - December 16th, 2020
- LOCAL NEWS BRIEFS: Price is Right Live show rescheduled - Goshen News - December 16th, 2020
- Controversial Mom Made One Of Her Twin Toddlers Get A Tattoo For Very Important Reason - BabyGaga - December 11th, 2020
- Mum of twins tattoos one so she can tell them apart leaving mother-in-law fuming - Daily Star - December 11th, 2020
- Farmingtons mayor of 12 years memorializes his experience in tattoo - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - December 8th, 2020
- Im A Celebrity superfan gets tattoo of Ant and Dec at Gwrych Castle inked onto his thigh - The Sun - December 1st, 2020
- MacAdam: Fascination with Mike Tyson began in Albany - The Daily Gazette - November 27th, 2020
- 'Home town boys' return to Philippi Main Street - The Inter-Mountain - November 20th, 2020
- The Post-Election Proud Boys Meltdown Is Here, and It's Ugly - The Daily Beast - November 12th, 2020
- I just want to be with my friends: how will children cope with being cooped up again in second lockdown? - The Guardian - November 9th, 2020
- 240+ Inspirational & Meaningful One Word Tattoos (2020 ... - November 6th, 2020
- 75+ Best Small Tattoos For Men (2020) - Simple Cool ... - November 6th, 2020
- Tickets for sale in Snohomish County and around the region - The Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- Seances, tattoos and the unbreakable bond between Mikaela Mayer and Al Mitchell - ESPN - October 30th, 2020
- Students rediscover their childhood fandoms on TikTok - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2020
- Chase Winovich talks playing time, conspiracy theories with Zolak & Bertrand - 98.5 The Sports Hub - October 22nd, 2020
- The Cycle of Punitive Justice Starts in Schools. Eric Butler Is Showing Kids and Teachers How to Break It. - Mother Jones - October 21st, 2020
- The Proud Boys? - SOFREP - October 16th, 2020
- Theatre Alliance to perform outdoor production of Devil Boys from Beyond - Yes! Weekly - October 16th, 2020
- Freshers' Flu - Why My Mum Invented COVID - Cherwell Online - October 10th, 2020
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand By'? - Snopes.com - October 8th, 2020
- Dan Osbornes tattoo shows hes protective of Jacqueline Jossa & the meaning behind Brooklyn Beckhams spoo - The Sun - October 7th, 2020
- When the Proud Boys came to town - The Economist - October 7th, 2020
- The ten essential facts you need to know about BTS's Suga - Film Daily - October 6th, 2020
- 30 Best Neck Tattoos for Boys and Girls - The Best Tattoo ... - September 30th, 2020
- Best 100+ Tattoo Designs For Men and Boys - Youme And Trends - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys, the extremist group Trump named in the debate - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Fred Perry Will Denounce Proud Boys, But The President Won't - Highsnobiety - September 30th, 2020
- Hooligans With Heart: Phoenix Risings Red Fury fan club reaches out to refugees - Cronkite News - September 30th, 2020
- Whats New on Netflix UK & Top 10s: September 30th, 2020 - What's on Netflix - September 30th, 2020
- From the Fields: Soaking it up now | agrinews-pubs.com - Agri News - September 30th, 2020
- Who are the Proud Boys and why did Trump tell them to stand by? - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- The Giant Proud Boy Rally That Wasn't - VICE - September 28th, 2020